*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1295481-Lost-lovers-cliff
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Tragedy · #1295481
A tragic story of loveing,losing,and loveing again
She loved him more then anything in this world. It had been three months now since he died, and she has still not accepted it. She thinks that he is out there some were just buying time till he can find her.

"Ryan, I know you're out there somewhere, oh please be out there somewhere," she cried out the night wind carrying it like the wail of a lost soul.

The night was cold and bitter. The lights of the city were distant from the cliff where
she now stood. This is her favorite spot to go when she is feeling alone and unwanted. No one can bother her and she can think.

The smell of rain filled her nostrils and the air moistened. She sprinted to her car
which she had just now realized, she had locked her keys in. The rain was starting to come down hard and she could not get into her car.

"Oh this is just great; Just frickin' great!" she said as she started down the road
toward the city on foot.

The road was dark, the wind was blowing hard. As she approached a small cabin about a mile from her car she noticed it had a sign that said "Half-way B&B".
The wind was picking up and the rain falling harder so she decided to wait out the storm in there.

She started up the stairs to a very well lit log cabin. As she approached the front door, she noticed it had a large lion carved on the face of it, a little old woman opened the door.

"Get in here sweetie, before you catch a cold," she said motioning her in.

The door slammed behind her as she swiped the dampness off her clothing.
To her right sat a small bench made of rosewood, on her left was a maple table with
pamphlets scattered about it. The reception desk was very well kept, she noticed as she stepped up to it.

"What are you doing out walking so late deary?"

The little old woman's voice added a nice warmth to the frigid night from which she just stepped.

"I had some car trouble just up the road," she said knowing it was a half lie.

The carpet on the floor slid a little as she moved to sign the guest book. Everything in the room seemed to be red and brown like a hunting cabin. A small animal head hung on the wall and next to it, a fish.

"I just need the room until the rain quits and then I'll be on my way."

"OK, sweetie, let me get you a dry change of clothes; you look like my daughter's size."

She went in to a back room and looked around for what seemed like forever before
returning and handing her a pair of flannel pajama pants. And a white shirt that said "Half-way B&B, you're almost there."

" Thank you so much. May I ask if there are any other guests staying here?"

"Yes my dear there is another person I believe his name is Ryan but his last name eludes me.

"Did you say Ryan?" her heart jumped at the mention of his name.

"Yeah, honey he is staying in the room next to you."

"Could I get your name?"

"It's May sweetie. Yours is....."

"Kayla."

"Well Mrs. Kayla your room is upstairs on the left second door."

May moved from sight in to the room next to the desk. Kayla made her way up the stairway to a long hall. There was a black and burgundy rug that covered the length of it. The walls were bare and the smell of wet wood filled the air.

As she opened the door, the door next to her opened. A man stepped out and looked deep in to her eyes. They looked just like Ryan's eyes, he looked just like Ryan; her Ryan.

She fainted at seeing him but before she could fall the stranger caught her and laid her gently down on the floor holding her and trying to get her to wake up.

"Miss, Miss," her eyes slowly opened and she screamed when she seen him holding her.

"Miss. Are you Okay," he said reaching for her.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just you look just like my husband."

"Oh, are you some were he don't want you to be?"

"No, he happens to have died three months ago," she said with a tear running down her cheek.

"I am so very sorry to hear that Mrs...."

He helped her to her feet. His muscles rippling under his shirt as he picked her up and carried her to her bed. The room was dark and musky. A small mirror hung on the wall next to the bed next to a painting of a deer jumping over a barbwire fence.

He set her gently onto the bed. The sheets were very soft, and smelled of wild flowers.

"Thank you, I'm really sorry for the way I acted." Kayla said as she swiped the hair from her face tucking it behind her ear.

"It's okay. My names Ryan by the way."

"I'm Kayla," she said extending her hand.

He took her hand and at that moment their eyes met. Time seemed to stop, every thing in the room faded away, leaving just the two of them. The depths of his eyes held her in a trance and she felt like a wild fire was set in her chest. she could feel his heart and hers align becoming one beat.

He looked longingly in to her eyes as if he could see her very soul. His heart sped to a quick pace matching hers.

"I....I must be going," he said breaking the silence.

"Yeah, I should get some sleep," her voice just a whisper as she stared in to his deep blue eyes.

He slowly leaned his head in a kissed her softly on the cheek. His heart raced even faster. Slowly he stood and walked out of the room.

Kayla watched him every step she took note of and didn't move till he was long gone. She slowly laid back and stared at nothing.

"I can't, I shouldn't, Ryan, what should I do?"

Her eyes shut and she dreamed of him.

"Kayla, please move on. I am here with you always, please move on find some one who makes you happy. Find someone who will love you just as much as I do.

"I can't It's not right."

"I want you to please for me?"


The sun was just starting to peek in the window when she awoke. The smell of fresh mountain air filled the room. The sounds of birds gave a pleasant melody to the running water from the cliffs. She slowly made her way to her bathroom and slid in to the shower. The warm water running down her skin felt so good.

The sound of someone knocking at the door cut her shower too short. As she stepped out of the bathtub she lost her balance on the wet floor. Catching the towel rack saved her from getting really hurt.

When she finally made it to the door and opened there stood the most well dressed man she had ever seen he was in a black suit and tie his shoes were shined to perfection and his hair was slicked back. The suit really brought out his blue eyes.

"Good morning, I thought you would like some coffee and maybe a bagel," Ryan said handing her a cup of hot coffee and bag.

"Thank you, come in please."

She opened the door more to let him in and walked over to a little table set in the corner of the room. They sat at the table nether one saying a word. She looked down in her cup at the rich black drink. The aroma of coffee filled the air and she sipped some to see if it was sweet enough for her. The warm liquid was sweet and rich just right.

"I was wondering if you would like to have lunch with me to day," he said breaking the awkward silence.

She just stared in to her coffee for awhile before answering him. Trying to decide if she really wanted to start dating again so soon.

"Sure I would love to."

"Great, will you still be here around that time?"

"Yeah I should."

"Good say around 11:45?"

"Sounds great."

"Good it's a date."

Ryan stood with his coffee, he bent down and kissed her on the forehead. She turned to look at him as he walked out the door. His perfect masculine figure sent butterflies through her stomach. As soon as the door shut be hind him she ran to the bathroom and found her clothing from last night which had been washed and brought to her room.

She managed to get home at 10:00 and ran straight to her room to shower and get ready for her lunch date. After her shower she started ransacking her closet looking for the perfect dress, one not to desperate looking but one not to "I don't care" looking ether. She found one that was perfect it was black silk with a low cut collar.

By the time she was done it was only half an hour till she would be picked up at the B&B and she still hadn't found a ride. She flew to the living room and found her address book. Looking through it she found her best friends number.

"Hey, Kelly would do me a huge favor," she said in to the receiver of her phone.

"Sure what is it."

"I need a ride to a bed and breakfast up on Logan Lane."

" Okay, I'll be there in five minutes."

"Ok thank you so much your a life saver."

After what seemed to be forever Kelly arrived to pick her up. She pulled up in a red Mustang convertible. Kayla jumped in the passenger seat.

"What took you so long it's been almost fifteen minutes and now I'm going to be late."

"Late for what," Kelly asked as she took off down the road.

"I have a date with the most amazing man. He is one of those types that you look at and can't catch your breath."

"How did you meet him and what's his name?"

"You're not going to believe this; his name is Ryan. But that's not the scary part, he looks just like my Ryan."

There was a long silence most of the way up to the B&B. The road was wet and slick. On the way up the mountain a semi-truck crossed the double yellow line and Kelly swerved to miss it. The car slid side ways the tires squealing one of them burst and through the car in to a tree on the drivers side. Smoke flowed into the air and the sent of hot rubber the air. The car was on fire and both Kelly and Kayla were unconscious.

A car coming up the mountain pass slammed on the breaks and the driver jumped out. He ran to the car and pulled Kelly out and to a safe distance and returned for Kayla. Just as he got her out and several feet back the car exploded. Sending peaces of metal flying through the air like little spears.

The man who stopped to help through himself over both girls to protect them. A small peace of glass sliced through his leg. Blood started to flow freely from the wound.

He ignored his pain and checked the pulse of Kayla and she was alive. He tried to wake her up being careful not to hurt her as he pulled her up rocking her; her eyes slowly oppened.

"Were Kelly," she whispered through the pain.

He reached over and checked the pulse of the other girl who did not make it. He slowly pulled his hand from her dead body and ran it over Kayla's face.

"I'm sorry, she's gone."

"No, she..." her voice was cut off by tears.

Kayla struggled to get up trying to get to her friend, to help her, to try to reviver her. She felt responsible for her death if not for her needing a ride then she would be alive.

"Don't move your hurt very badly," he said his hand holding her down so she didn't get hurt worse then she already was. There was a wide gash on her head and her leg was visibly broken. Ryan got his cell phone out and called 911. An ambulance was on the scene with in 15 minutes.

Kayla was loaded in the ambulance and taken to the hospital. Ryan rode with her to keep her calm and try to comfort her. The paramedic gave he an IV and checked her over. He pressed on her abdomen and she screamed.

When they got to the hospital she went straight in to surgery. She had sever internal bleeding and several broken bones. She was in there for over 6 hours when the doctor came out.

"Ryan, Kayla is out of surgery and is in recovery the surgery went good and the next few days will be hard. She is paralyzed from the waist down, and will never walk again. We will need to keep her for a few months for rehabilitation," the doctor said with a solemn voice.

"Can I see her now?"

"Yes she should be awake now but try not to be too long she really needs rest."

Ryan walked down the hall to her room were he found her awake. She was hooked to several machines and was very groggy. He sat next to her on her bed and wiped her hear from her face. It broke his heart to see her like that she looked so fragile and innocent.

"Ryan,"

"I'm here, how are you feeling?"

"Like I was hit by a Mac truck," she tried to laugh but it hurt to much.

The doctor came in the room and told Ryan he needed to leave she needs rest. Ryan kissed her on the forehead and told her he loved her. As he left she whispered that she loved him too.

Ryan went to the cafeteria and found him something to eat and as he sat down at an empty table a doctor came running in the room looking for him.

"Mr. Creek, we need you up stairs now Kayla is requesting you. Something has gone wrong she's not going to make it."

Ryan ran as fast as he could to her side. When he got there the nurse was covering her face with the sheet; she was gone.

He fell to his knees and started crying. The doctor came to his side and helped him up and to a chair. Trying to comfort him.

"She asked me to give you this," the doctor said handing him a note, it said:

"Ryan,
you have been so great even in the short time I've known you, you have made my life worth living. I haven't been this happy and this in love with anyone since my husband. I don't thank anyone could fall in love with some one as fast as I did you. I love you.

Love,
Kayla

Ryan made his way to a small cliff just past the B&B that he met the best person to ever come in to his life. It's been three months and he now sits on the edge of the cliff and wishes he could see her just one more time. He got back in his car and drove back down toward the city when he got to the B&B something caught his eye. He pulled in thinking he had seen Kayla. He ran in side and seen her walk up the stairs.

"Kayla," he cried running up the stairs. The woman turned around and it was not her.

"I'm sorry I thought you were someone else,"

He started to walk back down the stairs when he heard the young woman scream. He ran to her room to find her standing on a chair pointing at the wall on the other side of the bed.

"There was a rat," she said.

He searched for the rat, but could not find one. He walked to her and helped her off the chair.

"Thank you, Mr...."

"Ryan,"

"Thank you Ryan. I'm Kayla."
© Copyright 2007 vampauthor (vampauthor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1295481-Lost-lovers-cliff