*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1295818-The-greatest-of-all-wars
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1295818
Lewin found the answer that ended the whole war, can you?
          He gazed over the plains of Adair in despair. This time may be the end, this time things were different. Sweat dripped down his face, cooling his scorching skin. He wiped his brow and watched the armies of the Suderain marching in perfect pattern toward their meager army of the Imperial Lorien. This battle will be one to remember, this battle will be epic. He lifted his sword in triumph and his voice boomed over the soldiers standing in silence behind him. All eyes were wide in anticipation, but they all stood still, not one dared move, their eyes were grim, and mouths set in one straight line. He kicked his horse and rode forward, his voice sounding even louder in the silence.

          He heard one other person's voice join his, and turned to see Garreth, his long time friend beside him, his sword up high over his head. "I am with you Lewin." He said to him strongly.

          Lewin smiled grimly at Garreth. "And I with you." They charged straight into the army of Suderain, with their gloomy army behind them.

          The armies crashed together, sending a boom greater than thunder clashing throughout the plains of Adair. Lewin's breath hitched as his shield was plowed by a hooded creature on a black mare, no bigger than his own. "Prince Lewin, does your father not join us today? I thought perhaps he was busy helping plan the attack against his own son." The creature said coldly over the loud howls of battle.

          Lewin was surprised this creature could recognize him under his helm. "Who are you to accuse my father of treachery?"

          The creature made a low, clacking sound; Lewin recognized this as his laughter. "I am but what does not exist, but yet does."

          "Do not speak in riddles; it does not become you, only the wise can submit themselves to speak so highly of their stations," Lewin said coldly. Suddenly the creature lowered his hood. Lewin saw his death-white face, with pure black eyes. Memories of his childhood came crashing back to him.

          He was but six, running around his palace, playing a game of hide and seek with his mother. He could hear her laughter echo throughout the dimly lit halls. He was about to catch her when half the wall on the palace came crashing down, momentarily deafening him. "Mama?" his voice sounded small in the large hall.

          His mother wrapped her arms around him tightly, and carried him to one of the many tunnels hidden within the walls of the palace. Lewin cried loudly, unable to control himself. "Hush, child. We will be safe," she said reassuringly into his ear. He managed to stop crying, but hiccupped now and then, and shivered violently.

          They neared the end of the tunnel when they saw a tall, black hooded creature standing idly in front of them, blocking their only escape. There seemed to be a black mist settling gently around his feet. "It's you..." Lewin's mother said, sounding fearful. She clutched Lewin close to her.

          He lowered his hood, and Lewin saw a death-white face, with pure black eyes staring straight at them. "Malachi, you will regret your decision of escape. Answer me now, or the boy shall die."

          Malachi stepped back, tears streaming down her face, "Vadro, I can't say I know what you're talking about. Give us mercy."

          He laughed coldly. "Malachi, Malachi... If you do not tell me where it is your husband is hiding, I will be forced to kill both you and your boy. If you tell me, I will spare the child," he said glancing down at Lewin, "and trust me Malachi, you cannot fight against me."

          Malachi seemed speechless, she held Lewin close, stepping back slowly, ready to make a run for it. Lewin squirmed in his mothers arms. "Tell him mama," he said between sobs.

          "Yes tell me," Vadro laughed. Stepping closer, drawing his sword.

          Malachi stepped back, and turned, ready to run, two other hooded creatures stood, blocking their way. "Think again," Vadro said.

          Malachi turned to face Vadro slowly, her eyes red with tears, she kissed Lewin sofly on his head. Lewin could smell the familiar rose water his mother wore. "He is east of here, in the barracks of Fort Ettinburg," she said slowly.

          Quicker than Lewin could perceive, Vadro lurched his sword into his mother stomach. Lewin cried out in anguish, his mother fell to her knees, still clutching Lewin. Vadro looked down at Lewin. "I keep my word," he said calmly and suddenly all the figures dissipated into the thin air. Soldiers came running into the room soon after to see Lewin clutching his mother's dead corpse. Blood and tears soaked his body. They had to pry him away, kicking and screaming.

          Lewin blinked. He was in the middle of the battle field, but everything seemed to stop. Everything was still, except for him and the creature. "Vadro..." he said coldly.

          "Ahh... so you remember. I spared your life that day, it will not happen again. If I knew how much of a nuisance you would have become I would have killed you then," Vadro said, his voice dripping icily.

          "Vadro," Lewin said even louder, repeating the same name over and over again, getting louder and louder. Lewin stared at Vadro maliciously. Vadro had killed his mother, and imprisoned his father, forcing him to help the Suderain plan attacks on the Imperial Lorien, his own Imperial Lorien. Lewin cannot believe his own fathers treachery.

          Lewin raised his sword high over his head and dropped it heavily on Vadro's shoulder. Vadro laughed, took his hand, and pulled the sword out without any effort. "What are you?" Lewin asked, amazed.

          "I am but what does not exist, but yet does," he repeated, a grin forming on his cold, white face. "You cannot defeat me until you figure that out, but I can however, defeat you."

          Vadro lunged at Lewin, his sword in hand, Lewin dogged, thinking viciously of the riddle. ‘I am but what does not exist, but yet does,' he thought long, and hard, parrying Vadro's attacks. They both somehow ended up off their horses, and fought brutally on the cold, ground filled with blood, and corpses.

          Then suddenly he knew what the answer was. He laughed out loud, sending fear across Vadro's face. He stopped fighting altogether, and bowed deep at Vadro, and his whole army. "Vadro, of the far Suderain to the south, I forgive you for all you have done, and I forgive you for enchaining Suderain, and my father to do your bidding."

          Vadro's face went even whiter. Lewin had figured out the answer. Vadro disappeared, screeching loudly, as if in agonizing pain. He had disappeared for the second time in Lewin's life, but somehow this time, he knew he wouldn't return. The whole Suderain army stopped fighting, sending confusion throughout the barren plains of Adair. Everyone stopped fighting, and looked around in confusion.

          Lewin heard the men around him shouting. "It was Prince Lewin, he has restored peace. Hail Prince Lewin, may he rein long, and prosperous." The entire two armies bowed their heads in his direction, Prince Lewin nodded in acknowledgment, saddled his horse, and rode off into the distance, he rode into the sun rising in the horizon, sending brilliant colours of gold, and orange, leaving behind a new world.

© Copyright 2007 Elidhuu (bella_hunni at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1295818-The-greatest-of-all-wars