*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1298805-The-World-Trade-Centre
Rated: 13+ · Non-fiction · Educational · #1298805
This was the creative writing piece I entered for my English GCSE.
February 26 1993, a day that everyone will forget, overshadowed. A forgotten attempt, forgotten death-toll. The fragile reminder that no idea is a new one, no place is truly safe. Arguably, the World’s most powerful nation, the World’s super-power, is not even safe. Anyone is free to attack; it is ones nature of free will. You cannot take someone’s free will, for if you take someone’s free will, you take their freedom and if you take their freedom, you take humanity. However, freedom comes with a price…

September 11 2001, a day that no one will forget. Panic everywhere, across their faces, it’s not real, it can’t be. It was real. The first attack, purely accident? Surely, just an awful crash landing? The second attack hammers its opponent with a mighty strike, standing crippled next to his faithful brother. No longer an accident, not an awful crash landing, a real threat. Planes falling from the sky with intention to kill, the Armageddon image fixated in peoples minds. People huddled around the tired hub of a television, watching and hearing the devastation. Prediction was impossible…

Maybe the day is forgotten because it was not seen, a truck bomb driven to the basement, see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Nevertheless, this does not mean that evil refrains from existing. An explosion is heard and this time seen, trying to destroy foundations, trying to destroy the heart of the building. Shrapnel flies everywhere, innocent civilians out to lunch are hit and injured, but the building still stands, after the punishment of a six hundred kilogram bomb, the tower still stands proud. Wounded, yet proud, and it would stay like that for the next eight years…

Names are no longer remembered as they cease to have a meaning in the tragedy. Not one victim, policeman or fire fighter is remembered. Their heroics are forgotten by ‘the base’. The hollow name for the creators of terror, the creatures responsible for this act of vile hatred, and what have they solved? War continues to rage and demands are no longer an option. Freedom, the very structure of democracy, is being used to destroy democracy. Is it possible for there to be freedom in a society where terror looms? Is there a definitive answer to ‘the war on terror?’ Names are no longer used, because the words ‘nine-eleven’ sum up the disaster better than names ever can…

A cheap cigarette lighter is all that is used to begin the twelve minute countdown to destruction. To these people, nine-eleven should never have existed, the towers were to fall today and only today. And after months, if not years of planning and dedication, what has it come down to, a failed attempt at complete destruction. Or maybe killing six innocent lives and injuring hundreds was a success for these people. A harsh reminder of what the actual objective of terror attacks are and how willing the followers are to do anything to stop the way we live…

The first tower collapses in on itself, debris scattering everywhere. Anyone still in or near the tower were clearly killed instantly from such a horrific crush. The crowd surrounding the tower flee like a heard of sheep running from a wolf, the wolf chasing from all directions, the narrow compact streets creating a vacuum of chaotic uncertainty. Which way is the safest? Was there another explosion? The truth is, nowhere is safe to run, the smoke swallows up anyone who is unable to outrun it. Any Mc.Donalds, Starbucks or Walmarts are used as temporary safe-keeps. Any windows exposed on cars or flats are glossed with a soft golden powder. And all that time the cameras kept rolling, the photos kept being taken, onlookers eyes fixated on tiny windows capturing the hell forever…

February 26 1993, a day that everyone will forget. Each image shows the massive chunk bitten out of the tower. This day should be remembered, not for the death and injury of innocent, but the warning that it gave; the warning that someday, this would happen again. And maybe the towers would not be so lucky when that day arrived. That day was eight years later…

September 11 2001, a day that no one will forget. As silence now rests where a hell was unleashed, an unfriendly peace, commemorating the final hours of their lives…
© Copyright 2007 Climhazard (climhazard at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1298805-The-World-Trade-Centre