*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1300989-Love-Eternal
by K. R.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Western · #1300989
A western love story surrounding a forbidden union between a young couple.
Author's Note:: Like my other short story, this is a very rough draft of what I hope will become something more. I am sure there are some grammatical errors or typos in here, as I was just worried about content when I wrote this. Tedious editing will come later.

         “Addie,” his hand reached out to her, landing ever so gently on her cheek, which glowed slightly under the light of the sun. There was such contrast in their skin, his slightly copper pigment dark against her fair color. Their love was forbidden but fate had brought them together in a bond that was impossible to break.
         Addison’s eyes stayed locked in his adoring gaze, forgetting the trouble that surrounded their relationship. She had chosen him, a half-bred Indian over the most eligible bachelors from miles around, “Yes?” her voice was soft.
         “Are you certain that you want to go through with this?” He paused as his hand moved to take hers. “Your name will never be the same again, your family will disown you, the town will shun you…” his voice trailed off.
         The young woman’s response was quick and strong, “I love you,” she said simply. At eighteen-years-old she was too young and naive, too caught up in the magic of love to fully realize the hardships they would face if they married.
         Adriel smiled and planted a soft kiss on her lips, “Who will marry us?” In his eyes, it would be next to impossible to find and official willing to marry a couple that was so looked down upon.
         “Reverend Ingalls can’t refuse us. We have committed no sin…” He looked skeptical so she soon spoke again, her words even more sure this time. “You have to trust me; I will speak to him. We can have a private ceremony,” The smile faded from her face, “No one will come anyway.”
              All of her life Addison had dreamed of getting married and raising a family, only she had imagined it so differently. Her mother and father would be there, the entire town. She had looked forward to wearing her mother’s gown, to spending the day fixing her hair and making sure she looked radiant. There would be a celebration in honor of her union.
              But instead she was giving it all up in return for a match with a man she truly loved but was so different from. There would be no wedding gifts, no hugs of congratulations and best wishes. It would be only the two of them, shunned from the rest of the town. There were of course towns that would accept such a union, but theirs definitely wasn’t one of them. Indians just weren’t welcome.
© Copyright 2007 K. R. (reznicekk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1300989-Love-Eternal