*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1302317-The-Age-For-A-Drink
Rated: 13+ · Editorial · Cultural · #1302317
How was it decided that eighteen years is good for some things but twenty one for another?
Who made the decision that the drinking age needed to be raised?

I realize that somewhere along the line there were surveys done and studies made on the effects of drinking, driving and teens. Fine. I get it. Most sixteen and seventeen year olds are just learning the rules of the road, why muddy it up with thoughts of alcohol and smoking?

So now you've turned eighteen. You have probably graduated from high school, on your way to college, can purchase cigarettes, join the armed services and fight for your country. You can get an outrageous tattoo covering half of your body, and your parents can't say boo. You can pierce exotic body parts and no one can stop you. So why are you not able to sit down and enjoy an alcoholic beverage? What makes twenty-one year olds so much more worldly?

The media advertises beer, malt beverages and top shelf liquors with beautiful people not that far off from this "magic age". It is no longer legal to advertise cigarettes on billboards or the television, but yet eighteen year olds can purchase them. So another words, you can purchase an item that has been proven to kill you just by lighting it up and taking a "puff", but beer is a "No-No".

Final irony- At eighteen you can get married, but you would be too young to toast to your future!
© Copyright 2007 KittenClaws (kittenclaws at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1302317-The-Age-For-A-Drink