*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1304428-Game-of-the-Gods---Chapter-5
by Taraib
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1304428
Continuation of the Clerics of Kawn.
Chapter 5

Lessons



The gathered students mimicked their teacher, most of them butchering the simple cant. Guelah grimaced at Nardo, whose shrill squeak was by far the worst of the class. "Yooo-landa," he squeaked in a high-pitched alto, almost like a mouse. Guelah smiled despite himself, receiving a stern look from Qrstcht. His smile quickly vanished and he swallowed heavily. He breathed easier when The Forester turned his attention elsewhere.

Guelah always felt a sense of awe to be in The Forester's presence, but he was even more astonished at being instructed by him. A part of him had always assumed that a caretaker or maybe even a curate would be the one to teach him his first song. Qrstcht had never before taught any of their classes, usually, one of the Voices had, and Guelah wondered why he would have started now, this far into their lessons. But he did not wonder on that for long. The cold was insidious, biting through the not-so-thick robes that gave little resistance to the snow. Already he could feel his legs going numb.

Grasping the amulet that hung around his neck, the young cleric of Kawn closed his eyes and prayed to Kawn for guidance. He concentrated on the energy he imagined that flowed from it. The amulet was the door to the Song of the Trees, and he was now the key. He silently mouthed the song for an instant of practice and pictured a wave of heat washing over him. The song within his heart could no longer be contained. He let forth a solitary pure note, exactly as The Forester had. Not in a deep bass, but a soft baritone. He could feel the flow of the cant, the very essence of the Song of Life, around him, the notes filling his ears and gently massaging his mind. "Yo-la-alanda," he sang with a soft whisper passing from his lips. The cold disappeared immediately, as he was enveloped in the energy granted to him by Kawn.

Guelah opened his eyes to find Qrstcht staring intently at him, making him feel so uneasy that he shifted about in the snow. He was so edgy that he failed to notice that his instructor wore an approving thin grin at his swift success. The head cleric was intimidating, especially to the younger students, but Guelah was more awestruck than frightened. Still, he let out a breath that he did not know he had been holding when the teacher finally turned his attention to another student. Maybe he was just being the silly one, the song really wasn't hard to sing. In fact, he felt truly good for the first time that day.

Guelah realized that beads of sweat had formed on his brow; he had lost his concentration and the sense of heat was becoming too much. He focused on the note that he had sung, and mentally lessened the strength. Regaining control of this simple song after having lost it was even harder than finding it in the first place. He hoped that none of the other students had seen his mistake because they would never let him forget it. Being in the presence of The Forester sure had its consequences.

Qrstcht silently walked among the seated students, occasionally tapping his cane and smiling when the last one completed the rather simple cant. His hopes were realized as they had all sufficient faith to advance. It had been twenty-nine years since an entire class had succeeded. His wiry body, which had moved like a snake years ago, was now rickety, and his appearance was much like a knobby stick when he stood still. So thin was his body, one would be afraid that he was starving himself to death, which was sometimes true. He fasted much more than his students, using meal times to pray to Kawn the Blessed, who in turn blessed all things living. The third mandate of church doctrine strictly enforced fasting and prayer, and this was taught to all of the pupils that advanced beyond acolyte.

"Well done," Qrstcht said, clearly pleased with the results of their first lesson. "You each have demonstrated sufficient faith in Kawn. Tomorrow we will begin the shield cant, which is quite similar to the cant you learned today. Since it is a song of greater complexity, I expect that you will come prepared," he said cryptically. "That is all for today, you are free to go," Qrstcht said, his stern gaze downplaying the compliment he had just given his students. He smiled inwardly but allowed none of it to visibly show. Their instructors had trained them in the duties of an acolyte well. Apparently, the pupils had listened to the songs that had been sung to them attentively enough to advance to a caregiver, though he found himself wondering about some, particularly that young boy, Nardo.

Qrstcht waved his hand at the sitting students, dismissing the young pupils to return to the Arboreal Cathedral on their own. He was not in the least bit concerned that they could not find their way back, and if even they couldn't, he would not be troubled. The clerics of Kawn knew the forest well; any acolyte that could not find his way could never become a caregiver. He turned his back on the departing acolytes to admire the beauty of the trees surrounding him. Silently bowing his head, Qrstcht prayed to his Kawn, asking a blessing upon his students, for soon they would need it. He listened to the natural harmonies of the wind blowing through the trees, relishing his communion with Kawn. Soon, my old friend, he thought. We will walk the Forest of Man together soon I think. My days here are short. He privately meditated some time this way, listening to Kawn speak to him through the very trees amongst which he stood. Suddenly, he head snapped up, alerted by what the music of the wind told him. Thinking that the young clerics had left, he was surprised to find Guelah patiently waiting for his master's attention. Not now, he thought. I have no more time for students. He momentarily hesitated, and thought quickly, his green eyes flashing with the idea, "What is it young caretaker?"

The young cleric blinked hard as he realized Qrstcht addressed him by his new title. He watched his master through bright blue eyes shadowed by the thick brown crop of hair atop his head. He was almost six feet in height, a full half a foot shorter than Qrstcht, and his face was not nearly as thin. It was easy to tell that Guelah had not yet been taught the rite of fasting, for his body seemed well nourished; not emaciated like that of his teacher. But years of fasting would eventually leave his frame as wiry as that of The Forester. It took Guelah several awkward moments to find his words, for he wanted to be careful in what he said to The Forester.

"I just wanted to, uh..." he stammered, "To thank you for the great lesson you gave us today. I never thought that you would be the one to actually teach us the Song of the Trees.

Qrstcht cut him off with a wave of his frail looking hand. "Guelah, I am glad you have stayed behind. There are some things I need to discuss with you."

His tone was friendlier than he would have expected, but even Guelah knew that his words could have varied meanings. A word of praise from the Light of Kawn could very well become an unforeseen reprimand. And of course the opposite was true also. Guelah silently waited for his mentor to continue, waiting for all the words to decide what was intended. Had he tried to weigh each spoken word before coming to a conclusion, he probably would have forgotten what the revered one was trying to say.

"You have progressed well in the five years since you have come to us. Kawn smiles upon those who do his work, and they benefit greatly from his rewards. I feel that you can handle more intricate songs than any other in your class, and I will give you a chance to prove this to me."

"Thank you, teacher," Guelah's face showed his feelings that the lack of words could not express. He bowed before his teacher, expecting to turn back through the Valley of Orsk, back to the cathedral. Qrstcht on the other hand took a moment to recollect Guelah's progress as an acolyte.

Guelah's father, Thorne Castoblin, had been a woodcutter in the village of Harmon Den, the same village Hurnn Alcorn had been born in. Thorne had been a friend of the Forest, well-liked among the rangers and Protectors. Never had he taken more than the forest could give, never had he harmed the balance of life and death within the woods. It had been several years since his death, Qrstcht recalled, shortly after Guelah had taken his vows here in the Grove. Thorne had believed in the Cycle, the connection of everything within nature, and he had most likely passed those beliefs down to Guelah. And to the Clerics of Kawn, this made the woodcutter's son a good candidate for the teachings of Verdigris.

Unlike the majority of new acolytes, Guelah had not struggled at accepting Verdigris. Even some of the Voices had struggled with the concept. Not that the Tenant of Verdigris was that hard to understand, it was just hard to accept that the purpose of the Clerics of Kawn was to maintain the balance of the Cycle, even if one had to help along nature's proper course sometimes. Even small fluctuations in the balance could be disastrous to the Cycle, and it was their duty to protect that balance. Menial tasks like furthering the decomposition of a carcass or supporting the growth of a sapling would aid the balance. This is what the hammer symbolized for the followers of Kawn, destruction and creation combined in one tool. This was the Cycle, and as much as the Clerics aided the Cycle, the Clerics were part of the Cycle. This paradigm was central to the Verdigris Tenant, and once accepted, the acolytes planted their seed.

Qrstcht vividly recalled his own Planting Ceremony, even though it had taken place well over a century before. The acorn he had planted when he took the vows of service so long ago had taken years to grow, but now his massive tree flourished in the Grove. Easily one of the largest trees, its height was mirrored by its girth. Not even The Forester knew exactly how the trees grew, some faster than others, but it was clear that the growth was aligned somehow with the acolyte who planted it. As each student excelled in the Tenants, his tree prospered with him. And Guelah's tree was growing at a decent rate, not the fastest recorded, but definitely the fastest of the current students.

After only a few moments of thought, he spoke. "Guelah," the voiced caused the young man to start, as he was already preparing a mental list of prayers he wanted to recite to Kawn when his teacher's voice interrupted his musings. "Come with me now through the Grove of Symmetry, I will begin your teaching."

"I am at your service, Forester," Guelah replied unsteadily, for he didn't know what else to say.

The astonishment in Guelah's voice almost made Qrstcht laugh, but he checked himself. "Very well then. Follow me," he said, leading Guelah deeper into the Grove.

Guelah found it quite strange to be walking toward the Grove by Qrstcht's side. Guelah could see the outskirts of the grove, surrounded by thin saplings, the most recent plantings. His was not too far in, and he wondered if he would have a chance to see his tree. They strode through the sylvan glade, quickly passing the area in which his tree resided, heading deeper into the Grove. Guelah gasped heavily through his nose as they passed the Stone of the Living, the last landmark he knew before they stepped into the sections of the Grove proscribed to the acolytes. Not one curate that Guelah knew had ever been this far into the Grove, not even Kersh, the boy from Feines Creek who seemed to ignore every rule set forth by the clerics. Only the Voices and The Forester were permitted past the Stone of the Living, yet Qrstcht led him deeper into the woods. He silently followed The Forester, not daring to speak until he was addressed again.

The voyage seemed to last forever, and he craned his neck to catch all of the beauty of the Grove, sights and sounds he had never imagined. Thick trunks of countless trees rose to the sky, and he could only see spots of light blue through the snow-covered canopy. And somehow the forest was still green with life despite the chilling winter cold. He marveled at the sight of two trees entwined together, wondering at how they had come to be entangled. Perhaps these were the trees of Jhearod and Shevan, the Lovers of the Rose, at least that's what the stories had called them. The Fists of the Trees who had planted their seeds together in secret, for affairs were not allowed in the cathedral. The only relation a cleric had was to Kawn himself. Guelah found himself frowning at the sight of their trees; he would never break the rules like that. At least he would never have to meet them personally. They died in the Caltaran wars, centuries ago, but the stories said that they were reunited in death. But those had only been stories.

And off to his left must have been the Tree of Cerword, covered in thick Acacian moss that dangled to the forest floor. The one-time Voice of the Tree had sacrificed himself for the Cycle by spilling his own blood in the Grove so that wildfires did not destroy the trees. Suddenly, they came before a tree that dwarfed all the other massive trees. Its size was incomprehensible to Guelah, and he could only marvel at its majesty. Despite the apparent hurry that they were in for whatever reason that may be, even Qrstcht stopped a moment, and prostrated himself before the tremendous oak. Guelah, overcome with the power of this place realized that he too was on the ground, hands splayed out before him offering his most heartfelt prayers up to the mystery that was Kawn. After a very personal commune, Qrstcht rose, he knees not creaking as they were so apt to do these days and gestured to Guelah to do the same. The reverence of the place seemed to forbid mundane talk, and he silently rose and followed his worldly master in their travels.

Qrstcht led him off the almost unnoticeable path they had traveled, the thick undergrowth giving way quite easily before him. He silently led the way through the sacred grove, not even sparing a second glance to the marvels around him. Guelah obediently followed, blind faith keeping him calm. The great trees had begun to thin back out and Guelah had realized that they had exited the Grove of Symmetry in a most unceremonious fashion. He looked about, to regain his bearings, and realized that he could hear the crashing of the ice pack breaking apart. How had they gotten so close to the coast already? Even Guelah knew that you had to be fairly close to hear it. The sound, while intense, just could not make its way through the heavy forests. They must be within a league or so. Had Guelah been more attuned, he would have been able to smell the distinct tang of salt in the air, but he had only become a caretaker this very day. It was still beyond his abilities. He had not realized the sheer amount of time that they had spent walking through the heart of the grove.

A sudden twinge of anxiety hit him; would he be ready for testing? He had hoped for time to practice, he had never liked jumping into anything, especially anything as important as this. Qrstcht moved with purpose, and Guelah was hard pressed to keep up with the tall man's rangy strides. One glance at the old man and one would assume that it would be impossible for him to maintain the speed at which they moved. Guelah found himself short of breath, yet pushed on. At the very least, the exertion was helping him to keep his mind off of the testing he was about to undertake.

Despite the effort it took to keep up with the old man, he noticed a pile of gray furs almost completely covered in snow. Guelah knew Qrstcht must have seen the animal; he had almost stepped on it. But his master kept trudging through the snow. Kawn would reclaim what was his own, for that was the natural order of things. If the animal was dead, then Guelah knew the teachings well enough to let her lie in that state; such were the teachings of Verdigris. Guelah meditated on this for the next half a mile or so, until he saw yet another patch of grey hide. He could not have been sure, but he thought he saw the fur move. As he shook the thought away, the fur moved again. This time he was sure. Finally gaining courage to speak out of turn, the young cleric pointed to the mound of fur and wheezed, "Master, I think this animal may be wounded."

Qrstcht nodded and spoke, sounding only slightly out of breath, "Yes, I believe you are right." Qrstcht successfully hid the amusement in his voice. Of course he knew that they would eventually come across something that was important, not only for Guelah's training, but also something that was a key in balancing the Cycle. This he had been told by Kawn, and was the only reason he had endured the company of the young caretaker for so long. While Kawn had not told him of what he they would find, he had said there would be something. And this was definitely something. He smiled at his own insight as the two clerics hurried towards the animal, both arriving at the same time.

"Guelah", Qrstcht said. "Turn it over to see what we have here."

Guelah instinctively complied and laid a meaty hand upon the furs to push the wolf over. He gasped as a man's bare shoulder was revealed. Qrstcht hid his interest from his pupil, though, and bent closer to the man. His lean muscles strained as he helped Guelah roll the large figure over. The man barely breathed and fever heat radiated from his body, the last faint whispers of life passing from his lips. The furs that covered his chest were shredded, making the slow rise and fall of his breathing seem even shallower. Qrstcht loomed over the prone man, but what the elder cleric possessed in height, this man had more and girth to support it.

Guelah thought there was no possible way that they could get this man back to the safety of the Arboreal Cathedral without killing him in the travels. They would have to try and save this man's life here in the wilderness, right now. The shallow breathing told him that the man was losing the fight to stay alive. He tried to recall some of the more powerful songs of healing that he had heard over his last five years. None came to mind.

The man was huge, as men go. His massive size seemed to impress even Qrstcht who ripped apart the tattered furs to reveal the full extent of the still bleeding wounds. The fact that they bled indicated that the man yet lived. A high pitched yapping came from within the bundles. Inquisitively, Qrstcht searched the area that the sound originated from, consequently being snapped at by a smaller ball of fur. The little wolf eyed him warily with teeth bared in an attempted snarl, warning him not to harm her new mother.

"Relax, little one. I intend only to aid your friend," Qrstcht said in a singsong voice.

The effect was instantaneous, and the pup settled at once. She walked around The Forester twice, and plopped down on his toes, rolling over to show him her belly. Even given the grave circumstances of her master, Qrstcht smiled at this pure innocence. Besides, Kawn had called him here; in time, all would be yet well.

"Guelah, your training as a curate now begins in earnest. Allow the power of Kawn to flow through you to save this man."

"But teacher..."

His words were cut off by a stern glance from his mentor. Guelah swallowed the lump of fear that rose in his throat, trying to calm himself. Faith, he thought repeatedly. Kawn will lead me in the Song. Today was the first day he had ever sang a cant, and now he was to try another, one in which his success or failure would decide if this man lived. Faith. Closing his eyes, Guelah purged his rampant thoughts, concentrating his mind and soul upon the majesty of Kawn, the pure faith in his deity. He could hear the melody of the healing cant, it was Hurnn's voice, for he had instructed them that day. What was it that Hurnn had said about the cant? Guelah suddenly felt colder, despite the lasting effect of his earlier cant. His eyes shot open and wildly looked about. He found Qrstcht staring at him intently, although without emotion. Faith. He closed his eyes once more to concentrate.

A soft song emanated from his throat, ranging just over a full octave as he sang the cant of healing. "Hom nini Aye." He was careful to enunciate the words as he repeated the phrase. He found it much easier to reach the higher notes after having drunk the tea that Qrstcht had brewed. A slight glow arose from his fingertips as he opened his eyes, the healing song coming from lips that were not yet meant to hold this power. He continued to sing, "Hom nini Aye," as the warmth of life began to suffuse the still form beneath his hands. Guelah sat transfixed by his own actions unable to stop singing, enraptured by the pure melody coming from him and Kawn. The mortal wounds upon the dying man's chest slowly began to close; the rosy hue of pumping blood returned to his pallid skin. Color slowly came back into the man, his breathing deepened, his chest now rose and fell in a more normal rhythm. Finally, Guelah stopped singing and fell to his knees as he prayed more scrupulously than he had ever prayed before. His song had worked, but only through the direct intervention of Kawn, and Guelah knew this fact well. He had never before had a greater sense of accomplishment.

"We must get this man to the cathedral," Guelah spoke in a soft raspy tone. He rested the weight of his suddenly heavy head on his right arm. Swallowing against the sandpaper of his throat, he found that his voice burned with the exertion of the Song of Trees. Not sure if he had even spoken aloud, Guelah looked up to Qrstcht to see if his words had been heard. His mentor verified his statement with a nod.

Guelah quickly prepared a litter for the huge man, having located two saplings that were as big around as his arm and lashing them together with hemp that was supplied by Qrstcht. His teacher then donated his cloak to serve as the sling. Guelah arranged the litter so that he could haul the load by himself. Together they rolled the man onto the cloak and he was ready for the relatively short journey back to Tosche. Qrstcht in turn took the time to rub the wolf pup between the ears, causing her tail to wag uncontrollably.

The level floor of the valley did not prove to be too much of a challenge and they progressed quickly. When they reached the place where they had first spotted the dead wolf, the pup left Qrstcht's heel and nuzzled the inert form. She whimpered pitifully and tried to howl. Qrstcht once again talked to her in his singsong voice. One last small whimper and the pup returned to follow The Forester.

They made good time despite Guelah dragging the heavy load. It was as if the underbrush itself seemed to retreat from them as they approached. Guelah noticed this out of instinct more than anything else. Qrstcht had slowed his gait to keep pace with his struggling apprentice. He continued to listen to the Wind Song, occasionally nodding his head as if in understanding. It was very early spring, and the sun's short presence in the sky was nearly over as they made their way out of the valley. Ahead of them lay the city of Tosche, and less than half a league southeast of the city would be the Arboreal Cathedral.

Tosche was in a bustle, the watch guards having espied Qrstcht and Guelah from afar. A wooden cart waited for them at the far outskirts of the city, with several horses harnessed to the lead. The guards aided in moving the wounded man into the cart, and the clerics set a quick pace for the Cathedral, skirting around the city.

Guelah checked his charge over; despite the healing song, the man's life signs were still fading. The young wolf seemed to instinctively know this as she whimpered while lying near the man's massive chest. He prayed again to Kawn as they neared the Cathedral. Several green robed figures emerged from the Owl's Knot to hoist the man from the cart and carry him inside. Both men followed the clerics to a small chamber, bare wood walls covered by shadows from tallow candles standing atop a small round table. The man was laid upon several cushions beside the table, the clerics leaving to attend to their own patients.

Qrstcht and Guelah stood by the barbarian's side, praying for the man's life. Guelah swallowed hard for his throat was raw from singing too much today. He felt some primal bond with this strange man, as if he knew something about him. His instincts told him that it was The Song of Kawn, binding them with undeniable fate. His face and dress were foreign to his mind, but he felt a strong need to aid the large man. He knew in his heart that this man must live. Somehow, their fates were now connected.

"Should we not get him to the Sanctum of Healing?" Guelah rasped as both of them finished their prayers.

Qrstcht looked first to Guelah and then to the huge man. "Why should we do that?" he asked, still using his own questions to teach Guelah the finer parts of healing.

"It is the best area for rest," Guelah said simply.

"Why?" Qrstcht pressed.

"That is where Kawn's chimes play the One Song."

Qrstcht nodded silently, looking down on the large man. He turned over many ideas of why this man would be important to the Balance, almost forgetting that the caretaker was there until he was interrupted again. "Master Qrstcht," Guelah said, looking up to The Forester. "Surely he will live. Kawn has blessed him by leading us to him before he passed on."

Qrstcht nodded his agreement, and spoke, "You still have much to learn, pupil. The healing process has only begun. Is your faith strong enough for two?" Qrstcht asked cryptically, some hint of his former grouchiness creeping back in. "Tomorrow we shall see if this man will live."

Please read on: "Game of the Gods - Chapter 6
© Copyright 2007 Taraib (taraib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1304428-Game-of-the-Gods---Chapter-5