*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1309173-Fallback-Girl
by Ani
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Adult · #1309173
Its a new year, but Niyah Scott finds herself living as she did last year.
Chapter 1

Ring! Ring! Ring!
Who in the world would be calling at, I glanced over at my nightstand in search for my alarm clock and noticed a half read novel. I vowed to finish reading it today. The clock read four o'eight.
Whoever was calling had better have a very good reason for waking me up out of my beauty sleep! It had to be Tonya. Either she was bored or her man ticked her off. She needed to get a new life. And a new man.
"Hello?"

It was no one other than my best friend since grade school Tonya. We'd both attended Nathan B Young Elementary. I was new to the neighborhood and it was my first week there. It was lunch time, and as usual, my mom packed my lunch. A peanut bsutter and jelly sandwich, a banana, orange juice, and a chocolate cupcake. She couldn't even boil water!
Then this bully came along and swoop, stole my cup cake. I was kinda mad because it was my favorite, chocolate. But he looked three times as big as me and had the meanest face so I figured he could keep it. He probably was hungrier than me anyway.
Then out of no where, this skinny black girl sporting a Micahel Jackson jerry curl smacked the bully in the back of the head!
Whamm!
The bully turned around to see skinny girl bulging eyes, one hand on the hip smacking her lips.
"Why you always messin' wit' somebody you pimpkin head lil' boy?". She must have been crazy talking like that to such a big boy! I started to tell her that I didn't want the cupcake no way but she continued assualting the kid.
"You better gon somewhere!". Bully had no intentions of being talked down to. Especially not one as small as she was.
"Or what?", bully tested her.
"Or.....or umma tell mama it was you that let her dog out the gate!". With that she hit him in the head again and took my cupcake. Now defeated, the bully went on his way.
After settling down next to me, she took a big bite of my cupcake and stared me down.
"You're the new girl, aint you?"
I was still shocked that she had the audacity to eat my cupcake without even offering to return it.
"Yea."
"What's your name new girl?"  She smacked her lips again and took another bite into the cupcake.
"I'm Niyah."
"Well, I'm Tonya. And he, she pointed in the bully's direction, is my brother Durell." And a complete idiot, she added under her breath.
"So you stay near here?" By this time she'd finished the cupcake. Not a crumb left.
"Yea."
"Well so do I . If you want we can walk together."
We did. From that day until the day we both graduated from high school.

"Girl, you would not believe that he is lying to me. Yet again!"
No hey how are doing or nothing. Actually I could believe that. Marcus had been lying since the day he'd met her up until now.
"Girl are you listening to me? I'm hurt and need to talk to my bestest friend in the whole wide world."
Dang, I really should have let the phone ring. I look back at the unread book in the corner of my eye. She reminded me of the character in the book. Always worrying about her man. Or was it her man always worrying about her? Can't seem to remember. I'll definetly have to finish that book up. I sat up in the bed realizing that there was no way I'd be able to go back to sleep. Hey, what are best friends for? 
"So what happened this time?"
© Copyright 2007 Ani (miss_lady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1309173-Fallback-Girl