*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1313401-Writing-task
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1313401
short story nanotech experiment
I raced down a flight of stairs and walked through a narrow corridor. I pushed my way through two corresponding doors, and was blinded by the whiteness of the lab. Light shown through a small window from the far corner of the lab and bounced off the walls. I maneuvered through the limited space of the lab I spotted a bubbling funnel which released streams off smoke into the air.

“Over here!” Claudia’s voice startled me.
“Hey, I should have brought my sonnies if I had known it was so bright”. I planted a kiss on her cheek. Claudia is a very successful scientist from back in the uni days. Claudia an accomplished scientist sat rigidly in her rotating chair. She was assigned a project which had never been pursued ever in the history of mankind. The task required Claudia to nurture and monitor the movement of the swarms of particles. It was Claudia’s job to contain them and condition their behavior. This was a daunting task and one of which Claudia was hesitant to start. Although appeared to be confident and fearless.
I guess your wondering why I’m here, yes? Well, together, Claudia and I make a fantastic team. Over the years we have undergone many experiments together and plenty I dare not to forget. Unlike Claudia I am bedazzled by this task and excited about where it may lead.
“Hope you’ve done your research” Claudia said unnerved. I smiled cheekily. Although Claudia appeared unphased by her surroundings john knew that look all to well to know that Claudia was very afraid of the task ahead.
“You know me, always ready for a challenge.”

Shown on a monitor next to the containment chamber was a detailed rotating image of a squid like creature. The rotating image looked extremely unnatural. The “nanite”, as it was titled, had a solid pentagon sizes head with an elongated body followed by what looked like twenty very long tentacles.
“What are all the tentacles for?” asked john, who seemed fascinated by an image of a squid.
“It gives it great precision and movement,” replied Claudia. Claudia and friend of johns gazed intently through a microscope. “They appear to interact with each other with a very small electric field which surrounds the top of each tentacle. I looked over to the chamber, I saw a cloud of grey particles, the way it behaved looked a lot like dust more chaotic then expected with waves intersecting and colliding with each other, it looked very UN orderly. As if it was trying to stand or learning to walk like a baby does.
“Looks a lil’ messy in there Claudia,” Claudia rotated in her chair
“It’s learning”
“How could these things learn?” John asked curiously
“Distributed processing, it allows them to communicate together in masses, like many thousands of ants forging around for food.”
“These things eat?”
“No I mean in the way they communicate, there is no master there is no one central control in the swarm, they’ll just keep going on no matter what you do to one or many as long as one stays alive.
In a split moment something appeared to go wrong and a swarm of particles bombarded the room, and what was once light and blinding was now overcome by darkness, chaos.
© Copyright 2007 Stuchbery (stooch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1313401-Writing-task