*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1313505-The-Best-Gift
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Biographical · #1313505
A flash fiction roughly based on the birth of my son. From the prompt The Best Gift.
The Best Gift.


Unimaginable pain ripped through her, tearing her apart, body, mind and soul.  She’d been enduring it for hours, but it was too much now.  As another wave passed through her she arched her back, letting out an almost primal roar.

Gripping her hand, her love looked on, hopeless, watching anxiously as yet another wail erupted from her, seeming to come from her very depths.

“Hold on in, it’s almost over, you’re nearly done.”

What did any of that mean, the platitudes they were spouting, what did they know?  She thought as the woman spoke again,

“You can do this.”

More mind numbing pain took over and she began to cry.  Stroking her back, her partner tried not to worry as he saw the fear shining in her eyes.

What if I can’t do this?  What if it never ends? 

Eyes lifted towards the ceiling, the large clock on the wall caught her eye.  It was midnight. 

It’s my birthday.  She thought.

Throwing back her head, she screamed again.  He started, sensing this time was different, knowing that his life was about to change forever.

With one final effort, it was over.  He dropped her hand as she fell silent and still, shock washing over him, despite knowing this moment had been coming for so long.  He moved slowly around the bed, waiting for something to happen.  The whole room seemed to be holding its breath, revelling in the calm after the storm.

“Congratulations, it’s a boy,” the midwife said, handing her a tiny, wailing bundle.

Her eyes welled with tears of joy, all pain forgotten, as she gazed down at her newborn son.  The best gift she could have received.
© Copyright 2007 Natsplatt thanks RAOK!! (natsplatt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1313505-The-Best-Gift