*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1313833-The-mistaken-birthday
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1313833
My entry for writing cramp
Mary McPole woke up on a foggy morning and wondered what was special about that day. There was certainly something different around her. She could also hear distant voices outside her bedroom. That was odd because, it was still 6:00am and that was the time when no one gets up. She forced herself to get out of bed, sprinkled some water on her face and adjusted her hair. Finally, she came out of her room.

She came across her daughter Amelia who was carrying coloured paper in her hands. The moment she saw Mary, she tucked the papers tightly inside and scurried off downstairs.

"Hey! Come back!", Mary called after her, to no use.

Next, as she passed the kitchen, she found her two sons Nick and Tom discussing about something in a hushed voice. As if that's not enough, they reduced their voice to a whisper when they saw her. Whats wrong with everyone today? Mary wondered. But the things didn't stop there. Jerry carried a small box to the kitchen trying as much as he can to hide it under his jacket. Mary gave up on her family and returned to her bedroom. She had a quick shower and dressed herself in a red shirt and jeans.

She found the kitchen door closed. She apprehensively opened it and BANG- a balloon bursted somewhere and coloured papers flew everywhere. Standing around the table, she found Jerry, Nick, Tom and Amelia with a smile on their faces.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM"

The realization hit Mary with a shock. She turned thirty-six without knowing it for seven hours. She hugged everyone, happy to have a great family.

                                  ***************************
"You are coming to the party. We arranged everything for it here", Jerry was saying, "After all, it's your birthday"
Mary was seated in her office cabin. "Do I have a choice? I'm coming all right"
"Just be quick. Everyone's waiting".
She drove to her house alone. She saw a huge banner tied across the poles. HAPPY FORTIETH BIRTHDAY TO MARY
What shit? She was still thirty-six! She thought she'd kill Jerry the first thing. The courtyard was full of guests and coloured lights glimmered everywhere. She found Amelia and Jerry chatting with someone. And Nick and Tom were busy placing numbered candles '40' on top of the cake.

"Stop" yelled Mary and there was a sudden hush. Everyone saw her and drowned her with presents and wishes.
"HAPPY FORTIETH BIRTHDAY" and lots more like that.

She quickly walked to the front and caught Jerry by the collar.
"Who said I'm forty? You fool. I'm still thirty-six"
"What? Are you joking? I heard you talking to your boss the last week. You said you'd be turning forty"
"Oh dear! I was just bluffing. Thought he'd give me this day off. But he didn't agree"
"We're sorry, Mom. What shall we do now?"
"Don't worry. We'll continue this. There is no use telling everyone now"
But inside, Mary cursed herself "Look where you have brought yourself. You're four years older now"
 
© Copyright 2007 Uday Kanth (uday at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1313833-The-mistaken-birthday