*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314205-Delayed
Rated: E · Script/Play · Spiritual · #1314205
Michael meets two very strange characters at an airport who seem, well, not entirely human
INT. AIRPORT – NIGHT

We are shown the time on a digital clock with bright red numbers. It displays '03:22'. Camera pans towards MICHAEL, a 20-something male who is slumped over a small wooden table and drifting in a state between sleep and awareness. Both his hands are resting on the table. Under his left a flight ticket is visible, and his right holds a sealed envelope. Off screen, STRANGER A appears, wearing a cowboy hat and dusty, semi-formal-yet-farm-owner's clothing. He is slightly unshaven and gray hair sprinkles his chin amidst the dark brown. He looks like what a typical farmer would, in a typical rustic town. He speaks with a gravelly, throaty voice and a heavy Texan drawl.

STRANGER A
Howdy stranger, got a light?


MICHAEL
*Groans* Uhh... *Clears throat*


Michael stirs from his semi-sleep and pats himself in a daze. Fumbling in his deep trenchcoat pocket, he withdraws a box of matches and hands them to Stranger A, who strikes one and lights a cigarette hanging from his mouth.

STRANGER A
Thanks son.


Stranger A gives Michael back his box of matches and sits down beside him.

STRANGER A (CON'D)
Do you mind the company? The airport's awful quiet this time o' night.


MICHAEL
Not at all.


STRANGER A
(Sits down) If you don't mind my asking, what brings you to this airport at a time like this?


MICHAEL
Flight delayed.



STRANGER A
Ah, a shame. Where you headed?


MICHAEL
Anywhere.


STRANGER A
(Chuckling) Now that's a popular destination for many folks 'round 'ere.


Michael begins to smile, but stops. He pulls himself upright and camera zooms in to Michael's hand as he slides the envelope into his trenchcoat pocket.

MICHAEL
Yeah well, I can imagine. I suppose you can say I'm heading home.


Camera zooms out to see both Stranger A and Michael sitting at the table that Michael had been sleeping on.

STRANGER A
Not from around here then?


MICHAEL
I am, actually. Or was.


STRANGER A
So you were brought up here?


At this point camera cuts to a nearby bar, which is closed and dark.

MICHAEL
(off screen) I was.


Camera cuts to gate entrance number 3, which is also closed

STRANGER A
(off screen) And you moved out.


Camera cuts back to Michael.

MICHAEL
Um... not exactly.


STRANGER A
So how could you be heading home, then?


MICHAEL
It's complicated.


At this point camera zooms out and we see STRANGER B approach the duo with a purposeful stride. He is dressed in a black leather jacket and dark blue jeans. His jacket is unzipped; underneath is a dark red designer polo shirt. His hair is moderately long and wavy and his features look as if they've been sculpted in classical age Greece. He exudes 'Famous actor' aura.

STRANGER B
Greetings fellow travelers, mind if I join this rag-tag group?


Stranger A smiles and nods once. Michael looks too tired to care, but he nods also. Stranger A doesn't remove his gaze from the newcomer, as if he recognizes him from somewhere. Camera follows Stranger B as he sits down.

STRANGER A
Well howdy there stranger.


STRANGER B
Hey cowboy (looks at Stranger A). Kid (looks at Michael). You fellas are the only other life forms in this God-forsaken airport, so I thought I'd say 'howdy' (turns back to Stranger A and chuckles) but John Wayne here beat me to it. (Camera cuts between medium close-ups of speakers)

STRANGER A
Well son, old habits die hard.


STRANGER B
I'm sure they do. What's up with you kid, why so glum?


MICHAEL
Oh, no reason.


STRANGER B
Sure there is kid. Everyone's got a story to tell this time of night and at a place like this.


MICHAEL
Actually, my flight got delayed. Should've been outta here at ten.


STRANGER B
Still, you're here now, ain't ya?


MICHAEL
Yeah I suppose, but believe me you don't want to hear why I'm here.


STRANGER B
Oh please kid, beneath this glamorous exterior lies a black and withered heart. Whatever you got to say I sure as Hell won't be affected in the negative.


STRANGER A
Now hold on a second son, if the boy doesn't want to speak then we shouldn't be pressuring him.


MICHAEL
(looking at Stranger B) What's your story?


STRANGER B
(surprised, not indignant)excuse me?


MICHAEL
Your story. You said 'Everyone's got a story to tell, especially this time of night,' so you're here, now, what's your story?


STRANGER B
Naw, you don't want to hear my story kid, it'll depress the lot of you.


MICHAEL
(snorts in disbelief) I don't think so.


STRANGER B
You really want to know why I'm here?


MICHAEL
Why not? It's not like we have pressing matters elsewhere.


STRANGER B
Good point kid, but first…


Stranger B pulls out an ornate packet of cards from his pocket and opens it. They look well-worn and whether-beaten. He starts shuffling and it is evident from the way he handles the cards that he has done this countless times before. He deals two cards each and lays five cards down, Texas Hold ‘Em style.

STRANGER B
You played Texas Hold ‘Em before fellas?


STRANGER A
Son, I don’t know where you come from, but they call it Texas Hold ‘Em for a reason, and the reason is that it’s Texan.


STRANGER B
Stupid question huh? What about you kid? You even played cards before?


MICHAEL
Once in a while I used to play, yeah.


STRANGER B
(Chuckling) What game, Snap?


MICHAEL
(Smiling) Strip snap, actually.


Both Stranger A and Stranger B laugh and Michael continues to smile.

STRANGER B
(While checking his cards) So cowboy, what brings you to the airport at this time?


STRANGER A
A story, son. A very long story.


STRANGER B
You’re here because of a story?


MICHAEL
Yeah I don’t get it either.


STRANGER A
This story happened a long time ago, before you were born (nodding to Michael). It involves Angels, Demons and of course... (mouth twitches into an odd smile) humans.


MICHAEL
Me? What about him? (Pointing to Stranger B) He can’t be that much older than me. What are we going to play with?


STRANGER A
What do you mean?


MICHAEL
Poker. We need something to gamble with. I know. (Pulls out his box of matches) we can play with matches.


STRANGER B
Good idea kid, you’re a thinker, I like that.


MICHAEL
What do you mean Angels and Demons?


STRANGER A
Pardon me?



MICHAEL
You mentioned that your story involved Angels and Demons. What do you mean by that?



STRANGER A
I’m sorry son, but you’ve got to slow down a bit for me. I’m afraid my mind doesn’t change its course as easy as it used to.


MICHAEL
Sorry.


STRANGER A
No, no, it’s ok. Where was I? Ah yes, my story.


Stranger A pulls out another cigarette, lights it with one of his matches and takes a long drag before exhaling heavily.

STRANGER A (Con'd)
Long ago when I was a young boy, I met my Guardian Angel. My pa was off fighting in the war, and my ma was on her own trying to keep the family together. Back then, families were bigger 'n poorer, and we had lots 'a trouble just getting' food on the table every night. On top o' that every night I'd be woken by loud animal screaming coming from a nearby forest. Every morning I'd wake up, and I'd be grateful that I survived another night in my room alone.


MICHAEL
But animals don't exactly scream, do they? They roar, or bark and growl and howl and the like.


STRANGER A
(Smiling) You're right son, because the noises I'd been hearing weren't from animals.


MICHAEL
What were they from? Humans?


STRANGER A
(Shaking his head) no, son. Demons.


Michael chuckles. Stranger B is listening with interest. Michael glances at his cards with a smile.

STRANGER A
'Course, I didn't know that at the time.



STRANGER A (con'd)
I thought it was just some sorry animal. One night though I learned the truth. And how I learned it is the story that's sending me on my journey.


MICHAEL
How did you find out?


STRANGER A
One night the noises were louder'n usual. My windows would rattle from the noise and I simply couldn't stand it anymore so I decided to get up and look open the window.


STRANGER B
Why did you decide to open the window now, cowboy? Seeing as you'd been hearing these noises for so long?


Stranger A glances at Stranger B for a few seconds in puzzlement before looking back at Michael and replying.

STRANGER A
There are some things in life that you instinctively know to never look into. These noises... these noises were one of 'em. I'm not so good with words, but these howls triggered something...something primal in me, a fear I never heard before. That's why up 'till that point I never gathered the courage to get up 'n look.


MICHAEL
So what happened next?


STRANGER B
Yeah what happened?


STRANGER A
I got up, walked to the window and... well, I was stopped.


We are shown Michael's face as he replies.

MICHAEL
By what?


STRANGER A
My guardian angel, son. He stopped me and I heard his voice in my ear, he was tellin' me to go back to bed, comforting me and tellin' me that he would take care of everything.


Camera cuts to the digital clock that we saw in the beginning. It now displays 03:59 before immediately flicking over to 04:00. Camera cuts back to the trio.

MICHAEL
You... you're actually serious?


STRANGER A
(Chuckling) Son, when you reach my age you learn not to take life to seriously. But I knew it was my guardian angel, because it spoke to me in my pa's voice.


Silence befalls the group for several moments. It is clear that Michael has long since forgotten about the poker game. Stranger B looks slightly uncomfortable, his eyes darting all around.

MICHAEL
That's... quite a story, but that doesn't explain what you're doing at the airport at this time.


STRANGER A
You're right son, it doesn't. The reason is simple. I'm traveling overseas to a monastery in Greece where they experienced the same thing I did. I found the cheapest time to travel was this time, so here I am.


MICHAEL
(smiling) Well I must admit, that was a bit anti-climactic.


Both Stranger A and B laugh at Michael's remark. Stranger B glances at his watch and starts packing up his cards.

STRANGER B
Hate to break up this party, but my flight is about to leave without me.



MICHAEL
(glancing at his own watch) Wow, geez you're right, my flight is about to go too.


STRANGER A
Well fellas, it's been nice talking to ya all. It's been a long time since I told anyone that story. Hope ya'all find what you're lookin for.


MICHAEL
(extending his hand) The pleasure was all mine.


STRANGER B
(taking Michael's hand) Farewell kid and remember: Optimists are always disappointed, Pessimists are always pleasantly surprised. Words of wisdom to hold dear.


MICHAEL
(smiling) I'll take that into consideration. You know, you never told us your story.


STRANGER B
Ah forget it kid, it would've bored the lot of you. Mine only had demons involved, not an angel in sight.


MICHAEL
I...I see. (to Stranger A) Thank you for the story


STRANGER A
You're welcome. I hope you take it to heart.


MICHAEL
Well, hopefully I'll see you all around sometime. Bye.


They each go their separate ways. Michael abruptly stops.

MICHAEL
Hey I just realized I forgot to ask for your-


He turns, only to face an empty airport save for the early morning JANITOR cleaning up on the far side of the room.

MICHAEL (con'd)
-names... (To the janitor) hey! Did you see a couple of guys walking down there? One of them was wearing a cowboy hat...and...


The Janitor shakes his head in pity, obviously assuming Michael is delusional. Michael looks around in surprise and slight nervousness. We notice the deck of cards on the table and so does Michael. He approaches it and picks it up. He opens the packet and finds an information card, detailing when and where the cards were manufactured. Camera zooms in to the date '1858'. Michael slowly places the deck back on the table and drops down onto a chair. His face is one of shock at this discovery. After a few moments he picks himself up and pockets the deck of cards before walking away. He withdraws the envelope from his coat pocket and looks at it for a few moments, before throwing it into a nearby rubbish bin. Michael adjusts his coat and instead of walking to the departures section of the airport, follows an overhanging 'EXIT' sign. Camera zooms in to the envelope and focuses on the writing it has on it, which reads 'To my dearest friends and family, I'm sorry.'

FADE TO BLACK
© Copyright 2007 dimmy52 (dimmy52 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314205-Delayed