*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314474-Satans-Greatest-Hits
Rated: E · Other · Religious · #1314474
A discussion oriented Bible study on teachings prevalent in our culture today
Satan’s Greatest Hits

Major Teachings of the Father of Lies


Introduction

This topical Bible study attempts to explore and expose some of the teachings Satan uses to mislead people.  In his wisdom, Satan knows better than to initially propose obvious and outlandish lies.  His preferred method is to take something that God created as good and true, and slowly twist it into something that becomes selfish and harmful.  Over time these lies become “common sense” and the basis for “normal” human behavior.

Satan’s exploitation of human sexuality is a classic example of this ploy.  God created sex between an man and woman within the bonds of marriage to be a healthy and powerful force for uniting the couple as well as creating future generations.  Unfortunately, outside the bonds of marriage sex usually becomes a powerful destructive force, leading to sexually transmitted diseases, fatherless children, broken marriages, emotional pain, pornography, prostitution, and the like.  Satan seeks to blind us to the long term consequences of a sexually promiscuous lifestyle and instead focus our attention on its short term pleasures.

In his battle to mislead people into self-destructive lifestyles, Satan has two major allies: our human nature and our culture.  At its core our basic human nature is selfish.  One only has to watch young children at play, with their cries of “mine” and “me first”, to observe this fact.  With age and self discipline we can tame these attitudes to some degree, however they are always quick to rise to the surface if we’re not careful.  Our culture, as a conglomeration of many individuals, amplifies these same selfish attitudes.  “Buy more and then you’ll be happy”, “If it feels good, do it”, “You have to look out for #1, because no one else will” are the messages we hear day in and day out.  By fine tuning his message to appeal to our selfishness, often through the mass media, Satan’s lies often appear to be normal and natural.

Therefore those that seek to lead a God pleasing lifestyle must be prepared to “swim against the tide” of our personal preferences and our culture.  The intent of this study is to point out a few of Satan’s more popular teachings and compare them to what Biblical authors have to say on these subjects.  Hopefully it will allow the reader to be better prepared and equipped for the inevitable battles that lie ahead.



Satan’s nature and methods

Unlike the caricature of the funny red guy with a pitch fork, horns and a tail, Satan is a powerful, cunning and unscrupulous adversary.  Though his ultimate defeat was sealed on the afternoon of Good Friday and early Easter morning, Satan continues to fight a brutal rear guard action against God through his attacks on humanity.  Those that deny Satan’s existence or are ignorant of his methods are much more vulnerable to his attacks.

John 8:44  How is Satan described here?  What was his ultimate act of murder?  What is his native language?  What means does Satan use today to spread his message?

Luke 4: 1-13  What methods does Satan use in his attack on Jesus?  When did this particular attack occur?  Was this the only time Satan attacked Jesus?  What can we learn from this?

1 Peter 5:8  How is Satan describe here?  What does this imply about his methods of attack?

James 1:13-15  What great ally of Satan is described here?  Why does this make our battle with Satan so much more difficult?  What progression can result?


You can be God/You are God

This is the original false teaching of Satan - that we ourselves can be gods, controlling our own destinies, defining our own morality, etc.  New Age teachings of human divinity are current examples of this ancient lie.  Many of Satan’s false teachings in this study are a result of human attempts to rebel against God’s loving guidance and take control of their own destiny.

Gen. 2:16-17, 3:1-5  What clear command did God give to Adam and Eve?  Why would He do this?  What methods does Satan use to tempt Eve?  What does Satan offer to Eve?  How does our culture make the same offers today?

Is. 14:12-15  What sin is described here?  How is it similar to the sin in the Garden of Eden?  What resulted from this attitude?  Why?

Deut. 6:4-5  What do we learn about God here?  What response is required?

Psalms 8:1-9  How is God described here?  Mankind?

Psalms 39: 5-6  How is our earthly existence described here?  Why do we often choose to ignore these facts?

James 4: 13-17  What overconfident behavior is condemned here?  How is human existence described?  What is the difference between prudent foresight and boastful planning?  What can we do to avoid stepping over the line into sinful arrogant attitudes?


Wealth brings happiness

This is probably the most prevalent false teaching in 21st century America.  Our airwaves are saturated with messages that “the one who dies with the most toys wins”.  Every magazine and newspaper ad cries out “consume more, then happiness is yours”.  These messages easily reinforce our natural human tendencies towards selfishness and greed.  Sadly, as many celebrity life stories attest, the ultimate end of a life focused on materialism is dissatisfaction and emptiness.

Job 1:20-21  These verses describe Job’s reaction to the loss of his wealth and family.  How does Job react to this terrible news?  Does this response make sense to you?  What is required to have this type of attitude towards earthly wealth?

Prov. 3:9-10  What attitude to wealth is described here?  What are “first fruits” and why does God desire them?  From a human perspective, why is this type of behavior illogical?  What encouragement is given?  How can this proverb be twisted into an unhealthy “prosperity gospel” teaching?  Is God obligated to bless us in this manner?  Why or why not?

Prov. 11:4, 28  When is wealth worthless?  What is of greater value?

Prov 11: 24-25  What behavior is encouraged here?  What blessing is described?  What can we do to apply this to our daily behavior?

Prov. 19:17  How does God view generosity?

Prov. 20:17  What warning is given here?  Can you think of a recent event that is an example of this proverb?

Prov. 22:1  What form of wealth is described here?  Does our culture agree with this assessment?

Prov. 23:4-5  How is wealth described here?  What warning is given?

Prov. 30:7-9  What are the dangers of wealth?  Of poverty?  Which is the greater danger for you?

Eccles. 2:24-25; 5:19-6:2  What is the true source of satisfaction?  Why would God behave in this manner?

Matt. 6:24  What warning is given here?  What does it mean to “serve money”?  Why is it that rather than being our servant, money easily becomes our master?  What are some struggles you have in this area?

Mark 12:41-44  Were the actions of this woman logical?  What message was she sending to God?  What was Jesus’ opinion of her actions?  How would you behave in a similar circumstance?

1 Tim. 6:6-10  What is the key to happiness described here?  What results of materialism are mentioned?  Why do desires for wealth have such negative consequences?  Is money the real problem here?

Heb. 13:5-6  What attitude are we to avoid?  What attitude should we cultivate in its place?  How can a true trust in God’s provision help us in this struggle?  Why is it so difficult to develop this type of trust in God?

1 Peter 5:2-4  What specific group is addressed here?  Why might this group be particularly susceptible to materialistic temptations?  What attitudes can help overcome these temptations?  What promise is given?


Casual sex brings happiness

A key false teaching of Satan, and a prevalent message in our culture, is that sexual activity in almost any form is acceptable.  In fact, promiscuous sexual behavior is often the expected norm, and those that abstain until marriage are viewed as abnormal and/or unattractive.  Satan seems to whisper “no one will know, what harm could there be?” 

This attitude is by no means new, but can be traced back to most pre-Christian pagan cultures.  Some pagan religions made use of temple prostitutes, where sexual activity was considered an act of worship.  In contrast, Biblical writers consistently teach that only monogamous sex between a man and woman within the bonds of marriage is God’s intent.  Those that choose to stray beyond the bounds that God has established face many physical, psychological and spiritual risks.  Contrary to popular belief, God’s laws in this area do not seek to limit our pleasure, but rather seek to protect us from pain.

Ex. 20:14  What clear command does God state here?  What does our culture teach on this topic?

Matt. 5:27-28  How does Christ expand on the command of Ex. 20?  Is this a realistic expectation?  Martin Luther said “You can’t keep birds from flying over your head, but you can keep them from making a nest in your hair.”  How is this applicable to this command?  How is this teaching applicable to the problem of pornography?

Gen. 39:6-12  How did Joseph describe the sin of adultery?  How did he deal with this temptation?  What can we learn from Joseph’s example?

1 Cor. 6:15-18  What is unique about sexual sins?  How are these dangers greater today than in past generations?

Prov. 6:25-35  How are the dangers of sexual immorality described here?  How are the sins of prostitution and adultery compared?  How often do the consequences of this sin occur?

Prov. 7:6-27  What aspects of this story would Satan have us focus on?  What graphic warnings are given?  What could this young man have done to protect himself (see vs. 8 & 25)?

2 Sam. 11:1-5, 14-15, 26-27  What sequence of sins did David fall into?  What initiated this sequence?  Note that from this point onward the story of David’s reign takes a long downward path.

Heb. 13:4  What warning is given here?  What can we do to be obedient to this command?

Rom. 1:24-25  What is one sign of God’s judgement on a culture?  What is a root cause of this behavior?  How is this a warning applicable to our culture today?

Eph. 5:3-4  Why must we avoid “even a hint of sexual immorality”?  Why is this important for God’s people?  What should replace these attitudes?

1 Thes. 4:3-8  What aspect of sanctification is described here?  How are the heathen described?  Why do they behave in this manner?  Why should we behave differently?


Serving God will make us miserable

One of the biggest hurdles many face when they consider committing their lives to Christ is the thought that God seeks to make His followers’ lives miserable.  Satan suggests that no enjoyable activities will be allowed.  A frequently heard Satanic lie is “If you become a real Christian, you’ll have to go to Africa as a missionary and live in poverty”.  Many Christians have fallen into a similar trap of believing that to be a true follower of Christ requires that they serve in areas they dislike.  God has given each of us a unique set of abilities, and when we use them properly in His service we will have the fulfillment we seek.  However, God does not promise that following Him will be an easy path.

Matt. 11:28-30  Note: In first century times a rabbi’s “yoke” was his interpretation of the law and how to apply it to daily life.  How does Christ describe his yoke?  What does Christ offer His followers?  Do these verses imply that we can sit around and be unproductive?

Gal. 5:1-6  What is the “yoke of slavery” described here?  How does trying to live according to a long list of do’s and don’ts change our attitude towards God.  How can we avoid falling into this trap?  How does Paul summarize our Christian obligations in verse 6?1

1 Tim. 4:2-5  What false teaching is condemned here?  How can these incorrect attitudes take enjoyment from our lives?  How does Paul refute these incorrect attitudes?

1 Cor. 12:7-11, 27-31  What gifts and abilities are listed here?  Should we have all of them?  Do you have any of these?  How are these abilities to be used?

Rom. 12:4-11  What additional gifts and abilities are listed here?  Do you have any of these?  What should happen when we use our gifts in God’s service?  What will likely happen if we serve in an area that requires gifts we do not have?

Lk. 10:1-4, 17-20  Who did Christ send out?  What specific instructions and warnings did He give?  What resulted from these acts of service?  Do you suppose these disciples experienced some significant challenges?  What allowed them to overcome their difficulties?

Acts 13:49-52  What positive response resulted from Paul’s teachings?  What negative response?  How did Paul and his followers react to their adversity?  What gave them the ability to react in this manner?  What lessons can we draw from this?

Heb. 13:17  What group is in particular danger of spiritual struggles?  What can we do to make their service easier?


You can do it on your own (Lone Ranger Christianity)

An attitude expressed by many Christians is that “I don’t need the church, I can handle this on my own.  Besides, the church is just full of a bunch of hypocrites who only want my money”.  These people often turn to TV or radio ministries for their spiritual food.  For others an appreciation of the glories of nature replaces worship at a church.  The dangers in these attitudes it that they lead to spiritual isolation that make it easy for a person’s spiritual life to slowly fade away.  Also, other Christians that would benefit from a person’s contributions to the church are deprived of these opportunities.  To the degree that Satan is able to isolate Christ’s followers from one another, the more effective his divide an conquer strategy becomes.  Men need to be particularly wary of this Satanic lie since it reinforces their natural desire to be independent and self-reliant.

Heb.10:24-25  What temptation should we seek to avoid?  What problems can arise from this behavior?  What positive behavior are we encouraged to develop?

1 Cor. 12:12-20  What analogy does Paul use to describe the church here?  How do those who remain spiritually isolated put themselves at risk?  How do they harm the church as a whole?

1 Peter 2:4-6  What analogy does Peter use to describe the church here?  What is Christ’s role in this building?  What is our role?  What happens to a building that is missing many of its stones?

Prov. 9:7-9  How do different people react to instruction?  Why?  What can we do to develop a more receptive attitude?

Prov. 13:20  Who should we seek out as our companions?  Why?

Prov. 15:22  What benefit of companionship are described here?  Why do we often reject this recommendation?

Prov. 17:17  What key attribute of true friendship is described here?  What is required to develop this type of relationship?

Prov. 18:24  What is the difference between a companion and a friend?  How do the results of these relationships differ?  Do you agree with this proverb?

Prov. 25:11-12  How are words of rebuke described here?  Why can they be so valuable?

Prov. 27:6  How do the behaviors of a friend and enemy differ?

Prov. 27:17 What benefit of companionship are described here?  What attitudes are required to obtain these benefits?

Eccles. 4:9-12  What benefits of companionship are described here?  What are the parts of a cord of three strands?

James 5:19-20  What are we called to do here?  Why must we be extremely careful when we do this?

Gal. 6:1-2  What are we called to do here?  What attitudes are required for this to be effective?  What warning is given?


Bible study and prayer are a waste of time

The disciplines of daily Bible study and prayer are a struggle for most of us.  Our hectic lifestyles, which are often self inflicted, frequently push time with God aside.  The “tyranny of the urgent” often causes us to replace our truly important needs with much less important desires.  Also, many of us are so easily distracted that we become frustrated with our inability to focus on God, and simply give up.  By breaking down our primary lines of communication with God, Satan seeks to separate us from our source of spiritual power.  Also, those who choose to have others “spoon feed” God’s word to them put themselves at risk of falling prey to false teachers.

2 Tim. 3:16-17  What is the source of Scripture?  How is it useful?  What should be the end result?

2 Tim 2:15  What does it mean to “correctly handle the word of truth”?  What is required to develop this ability?

Act 17:11  How did the Bereans respond to Paul’s message?  What lesson should we learn from this?  What is the danger of blindly accepting everything that others tell us about the Bible?

2 Peter 3:14-16  How does Peter describe Paul’s letters?  Why is this significant?  What warning does Peter give?

Matt. 7:7-11  What is required to obtain God’s blessings?

Matt. 18:19-20  What are we encouraged to do here?  Will God really give us “anything we ask for”?  What limits does God place on His responses to our prayers?

Mark. 11:22-25  What is required to obtain what we ask for?  What condition is given here?

James 1:5-8  How does James expand upon Christ’s instructions in Mark 11?  Why can we have confidence that God will answer our prayers?

John 14:13-14, 15:7  What promise does Christ make to his disciples?  What does Christ mean by “ask in my name”?  How does this limit what we are to ask for?

James 4:1-3  How does James expand upon what Christ taught?  Is this a contradiction?

James 5:16-18  How is prayer described here?  What specific example is given?

1 Peter 3:7  What warning is given to husbands here?  Why would God behave in this manner?


If you have enough faith, you won’t have any problems

A common false teaching within some churches is that adversity and human suffering are a direct result of inadequate faith.  These people make statements like “If you truly believe, your cancer will be cured” or “Name it and claim it - ask in faith an God will give you wealth, health and happiness”.  These types of attitudes relegate the sovereign creator of the universe  to a cosmic Santa Claus who must do our bidding when we use the proper incantation.  This teaching twists God’s promise of “ask and you shall receive” into “demand and God is obligated to provide”.  It assumes that we have the wisdom to dictate to God what is best for ourselves and those around us.

Job 5:7  How is the human condition described here?  Do you agree?

Ps. 23:4  How does David describe life’s troubles here?  How does he respond?  What allows him to respond in this manner?

John 15:18-21; 16:33  What warning does Christ give us here?  Why is this inevitable?  What encouragement is given?

Rom. 8:35-39  What types of events are Christ’s followers told to expect?  What encouragement is given?  When will this victory be fully accomplished?

2 Cor. 1:3-5  What should result from our sufferings?  How is it different to be protected from suffering, as opposed to being protected through suffering?

2 Cor. 4:7-9  How does Paul describe the Christian walk here?  Does this result from a lack of faith?  Why does God allow such things?

2 Cor. 4:17-18  How are our troubles described here?  Do they seem that way at the time?  What focus is required to keep things in a proper perspective?

2 Cor.12:7-10  What was Paul’s prayer?  How did God respond?  Was this due to a lack of faith on Paul’s part?  What larger purpose did God have in mind?  What lesson can we learn from this?

Heb. 11:1  How is faith described here?  If a key characteristic of faith is certainty in spite of not seeing God’s ends, how should this affect our expectations?

Heb. 12:5-11  What sign of God’s love is described here?  Does this seem odd to you?  What is God’s intent in allowing this type of adversity into our lives?

James 1:2-4  How does James say we should respond to difficulties?  Is this a realistic expectation?  What would allow us to react in this way?  What reason for trails does James give?

Is. 55:8-9  How does Isaiah compare God’s thoughts to ours?  How should this impact the way we pray?

Rom. 11:33-34  How does Paul describe God’s wisdom here?  How can this be a comfort to us?  How can this be a great frustration in times of suffering?


Pride is harmless

Another of Satan’s ploys is to play the “big sin and little-sin” game.  Many Christians condemn the “big sins” of murder, adultery, and homosexuality while minimizing the dangers of “little sins” like pride, gossip, and greed.  This results in many “good” people becoming self-righteous, intolerant and judgemental.  Unchecked, these “little sins” can have great destructive power within the Christian community, turning away those who are seeking God and turning us against each other.

Ps 138:6  How is God’s relationship with the lowly described?  With the proud?

Prov. 11:2  What result of pride is described here?  What is the antidote to pride?

Prov 13:10  What result of pride is described here?  What alternate behavior is suggested?  Why is it difficult for a proud person to follow this teaching?

Prov. 16:5  What warnings are given here?

Prov. 16:18  What frequently results from a proud attitude?  Why is this?

Prov. 21:4  What are two characteristics of wickedness?  Why is this?

Prov. 26:12  What is the danger of having a high opinion of ourselves?

Is. 2:11-12, 17 What warning is given to the proud?  Why does God find proud people to be so annoying?

Rom 12:16  What is a key to harmonious relationships?  Why is this the case?

2 Cor. 10:12  What is the danger of comparing ourselves to others?  How can this lead to an inflated opinion of ourselves?

1 Pet. 5:5-6  What is God’s attitude towards those who are proud? To those who are humble?


Gossip is harmless

Gossip is one of the most underrated temptations in Satan’s arsenal.  By treating gossip as one of the “little sins” that are not important to God, many Christians have caused great pain and division within the church and have driven many people away.  A desire to tear others down in order to build ourselves up is a strong tendency for most of us.  Sometimes this takes the form of spreading distortions or falsehoods about others.  However, passing along factually accurate but negative information is often equally destructive.

Ps. 101:5  What attitudes does God condemn here?  How are these two attitudes related?  What warnings are given?

Prov. 10:19  Why is it that many words can often leads into sin?  Do you agree with this proverb?  How should we respond to this instruction?

Prov. 12:18  What impact can our words have on others?  Have you ever been a victim of this behavior?  Have you been a perpetrator?  How can we avoid causing these types of problems?

Prov. 17:9  What type of relationship can gossip damage?  What attitude is required to avoid this temptation?

Prov 21:23  What can we do to reduce problems in our lives?  Why is this the case?

Prov. 26:20-21  What is it that makes gossip so attractive?  How can gossip be like slow burning coals?  What can we do to be a peacemaker in these types of situations?

Prov: 26:22  What is it about gossip that is so attractive?  What is the result?

Luke 6:45  What does our speech indicate about us?  How can our “unguarded” moments indicate the true nature of our attitudes?

Rom. 1:29-31  What sins are condemned here?  Does it seem odd to you that gossip is included in this list?  What does this imply about the dangers of gossip?

2 Cor. 12:20-21  What situation did the church in Corinth struggle with?  How are the sins described here interrelated?  What can we do to help break this cycle of dissension?

1 Tim. 5:11-14  What particular group is addressed here?  Is this simply sexist unfairness?  What antidote to gossip is described?  What can we learn from this?

James 1:26  What strong warning does James give here?  Why would he make such a strong statement as this?

James 3:1-12  What warning does James give to teachers?  Why is this the case?  What is our tongue compared to here?  Do you feel that James is exaggerating?  Where does the tongue often get its power?  What results from uncontrolled speech?  Why is it so difficult to control our tongue?


You have to look out for number 1 (yourself!)

A key attribute of human nature is self interest.  These attitudes are not necessarily bad, and are often a necessary foundation for health and survival.  The entire free market economic system is built upon this principle.  However, Satan is exceptionally skilful at taking our natural self interest and pushing it far beyond its healthy bounds.  Most of us struggle daily to look beyond ourselves, and our immediate family, to the needs of others.  Often, even the needs of our immediate family fall off our self centered list of priorities.  In contrast, God calls us to a life of service and sacrifice on behalf of those He brings us in contact with.

Luke 14:7-11  What behavior did Christ observe among the Pharisees?  What warning does He give?  What advice does He give?  How can we apply these attitudes to our daily lives?

Matt. 20:20-28  What was the desire of James and John’s mother?  Why would she make this request?  How did the other disciples react to this situation?  Why would the react in this manner?  What lesson did Jesus give?  What example does He offer?

Matt. 23:11-12  What example of greatness is given here?  Does our culture agree with this assessment?  What warning does Jesus give?

Mark 9:33-37  What did the disciples argue about here?  How did they react to Christ’s question?  Why?  What teaching does Christ provide?

Luke 22:24-27  What are the disciples still arguing about at the last supper?  Why would this be such a difficult issue for them?  What does Christ teach them?

John 13:2-5, 12-17  What example does Christ provide here?  What general principal is He teaching?  Why are we so reluctant to learn this lesson?

Phil. 2:3-11  What attitudes are we to avoid?  What attitudes should we cultivate?  What example is given?  What is required for us to develop these new attitudes?
© Copyright 2007 JoeLoth (joeloth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314474-Satans-Greatest-Hits