*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314996-Squeaky-The-Not-So-Lonely-Duck
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1314996
Lonely duck toy who finds friends and a good time playing in the bathtub.

SQEAKY THE NOT SO LONELY DUCK

On a bright, sunny Saturday morning Squeaky finds himself all alone in a great big bathroom. He could think of nothing to do for fun. He is thinking of songs to sing, games to play that only need one duck but he was tired of swimming around in the big bathtub all by himself.

Squeaky is going to invite some of his friends in to play with him. He sticks his head out the window and yells for all his friends to come play with him. Mrs. Bird who lives in the maple tree just outside the window chirps loudly, “I’m sorry Squeaky but I can’t come now because I have to work on building my nest. I’m going to be having baby birds and must make sure they have a nice, comfortable place to live.”

Kitty Kitty meows, “I can’t come right now, I have found a mouse that I want to chase and play hide ‘n seek with for a while. I don’t really like to play in a big bathtub anyway.”

Squeaky is feeling sad and lonely as no one wants to play with him. Just as he was about to give up and play by himself, he hears someone coming in the window. Hey, it’s Bert and Eugenia Bear and they want to play with Squeaky in the big bathtub.

All three of them get into the big bathtub and Eugenia picks up the bubble bath and pours it into the water. All of a sudden there are lots and lots of bubbles and they are going over the sides of the tub. Squeaky is swimming around and around and is quacking very loudly as he is having so much fun with his bear friends. Bert sees some bath toys on the side of the tub and he drops those into the tub and begins to race the boat around in the water. He takes the beach bucket and spills the bubbles out onto the floor so he can find his boat in the water.

What great fun they are all having when they hear someone calling out to them. It is Chester, the bear that lives over in the big forest on the other side of the river. He was walking by on his way to a picnic when he heard all the loud noises coming out through the window. He thinks this would be more fun than the picnic outside with all the ants. “Hey”, asks Chester, “Is it okay for me to jump into the tub with you guys?” Squeaky tells him to come on in and join in the bubble bath party. As he is climbing in the window, his foot hits the potted plant on the sill and it topples over onto the floor. Oh, what a big mess. But, never mind, he will clean it up later. Right now he wants to get into the tub and splash with the other bears and Squeaky Duck.

Chester grabs a towel hanging on the side of the tub and begins to twirl it high above his head to make the bubbles dance in the air. Bert and Eugenia start clapping their hands and reaching for the bubbles to make them pop. Squeaky keeps flapping his wings but he can’t jump high enough to reach the bubbles. Gee, what fun we are having, Squeaky thinks, not realizing someone has to clean up this mess before Papa and Momma Duck get back from their trip to the grocery store.
“Splash, splash, splash, oh what fun we are having”, Eugenia says.
“I love playing in the bathtub”, says Bert. Chester climbs out of the tub and dries himself off. “I think I should go on to the picnic now”, he says. He carefully climbs out the window and waves goodbye to his new friends as he skips along on his way to the picnic.

All this playing in the warm bath water has made Bert and Eugenia very tired and so sleepy. “Squeaky this has been such fun but now we are going home to take a long nap”, says Eugenia.

Squeaky is left alone again in the big bathroom in the big bathtub once again. He looks around and sees the big mess he and his friends have made and remembers his Papa and Momma should be home soon. What fun I have had but now it is time to do my chores and clean up this mess he thinks to himself.. He begins to sing a little song his Momma taught him and this makes the cleaning go faster and soon he has the bathroom just like his Momma left it. He waddles over to a towel lying on the floor and begins to feel sleepy himself and decides a nap sounds good to him. With the birds singing outside, the bears playing at the picnic, Squeaky is happy just to take a nap and dream about the big bathtub fun he shared with his new friends.
© Copyright 2007 Patty Lou (psims at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314996-Squeaky-The-Not-So-Lonely-Duck