*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1317005-Shadows-and-Voices
Rated: E · Sample · Other · #1317005
A dream sequence I wrote for the novel I'm working on. Thoughts?
He stands in the dark, listening.
He can hear them around him, their voices echoing towards him, a cacophony of sounds that grows and fades like a tide. Actual words he cannot discern but he hears them and understands, can feel the emotions conveyed by there tones. They wash over him in waves, soaking him in their feelings. He stands for a moment and drinks them in, letting them fill him with pleasure and content.
As he allows the voices to enter into him, he senses a change. A whisper at first, it grows and grows until he hears it clearly. The screams of a girl invade the pleasent voices of this dark place.
Soon it is not just the one. One by one the voices turn to screams, each one breaking the steady tide of happiness over him, eroding it. The screams grow ever more louder, rising to a crescendo, his pleasure turning to fear and anger. These emotions fill him, draining the happiness from him and leaving him with nothing but the screaming filling his mind, filling him until he feels he may burst.
A wind begins, starting as only a gust but soon rising to a hurricane, howling past him like a rabid beast. Little by little, the wind carries the screaming with it, taking the voices and plunging them into the darkness where they cannot be heard.
He grows in terror. He begins to feel afraid as the wind carries the voices away, He reaches outwards, grabbing in the direction of the voices whipping past him, desperately clutching in vain.
The last of the voices vanishes into the darkness, and the wind suddenly dies. He stands, breathing heavily, listening to the silence around him and he knows that he is completely and utterly alone.
He begins to feel cold spread around his lower body. He looks down and finds his feet and legs are gone, and a shadow rises along his body swallowing him. He stands and watches the shadow grow past his torso, towards his neck, but does nothing to resist. He watches until he cannot see any longer, for the shadow has encompassed his eyes and works slowly towards the top of his head.
There are no voices.
There is no sound.
He disappears totally into the dark.
© Copyright 2007 The Official Dead Boy (shadowhand at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1317005-Shadows-and-Voices