*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1317227-Original-Recipe
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1317227
Horror story - Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
         “What'll it be?” the clerk at the Chick'n Bucket asked, with the complete lack of enthusiasm typical of most teenage fast food workers.

         Tim stared at the menu for a moment before responding. “I'll have a 3-piece meal with a root beer.”

         He paid cash and took his drink from the clerk.

         “We'll bring it out when it's ready.”

         “Thanks.”

         Tim slumped into a booth, barely sipping from his overly large soda despite his thirst. He'd managed to hang 48 posters on various sign posts. Only two left in his stack. He looked at the grainy photocopied picture and got a little choked up.

         LOST COCKER SPANIEL
         FOUR YEARS OLD
         ANSWERS TO FLUFFY


         Tim had owned Fluffy since he was just 12 years old. At first, Tim's parents intended Fluffy to be a rebound pet after a tragic gerbil accident involving the vacuum cleaner, but it didn't take long for Tim and Fluffy to become inseparable. Now Tim was beside himself with grief.

         Fluffy wasn't usually the type to stray from home, but she'd somehow gotten out through a hole in the fence the night before. Tim spent all day wandering the neighborhood hanging signs and calling her name, but was still no closer to finding her than he'd been that morning.

         “Here you go,” the clerk mumbled as he tossed the plastic tray onto the table.

         As Tim bit into a drumstick, he felt a sharp pain between his front teeth.

         “OW!” He reached up and pulled a small metal disk out of his mouth. “What the hell?”

         As he picked bits of original recipe fried breading off, the piece of metal seemed to be heart-shaped. He wiped away the grease, and saw an inscription:

         “FLUFFY.”

289 words
© Copyright 2007 Derek D. (ddukes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1317227-Original-Recipe