*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1318187-To-the-Peak
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1318187
This is a story about commitment, even when everything denies it from you
It’s cold, very cold.
The mountains silhouetted against the cloudless sky cast a long shadow in the early morning light.
My partner Louane is breathing heavily with long wisps of smoke rising up into the sky, higher than the beautiful snow capped mountains themselves…
The already pounding pain in my muscles gets even stronger and I force myself to stop, signalling for Louane to follow. She slows down then stops and sits in the wet grass.
I collapse next to her and reach inside my bag, clumsily fumbling for my thermos full of coffee. No matter how hard you are, even Louane and I have to stop sometimes.
Utterly exhausted I lie back and close my eyes. I don’t sleep though. I let my mind wander into the back of my memories and search for the time way back when I was young.
I was twenty in fact. The doctor had walked into the room solemnly and walked over to where I lay on the clean white hospital bed.
We had begun discussing the different things that may have happened on that fateful night and the different forms of damage that may have occurred. The doctor had told me that I would never walk again.
But I had denied him. With every part of my body I denied that I would not complete my dreams because of a driver who had not looked where he was going. No matter what the doctor had said, with my Mind Power, Louane behind me and every one else who would be there along the way, I knew that I would come over this horrible time and emerge a better person with more experience to face my dreams.
That car accident had not stopped me. I had denied everything that the doctor had said and beaten the logic of science. No laws of science will hold back my mind.
Now I am here why am I sitting down? Dreams won’t run to me, I have go to them.
I snap open my eyes and get up. Even though my almost totally healed muscles burn and I fell sick I force myself to keep going.
I start to jog around the area, every now and then returning to see if Louane is awake.
I come across a small pond. I can see my reflection in the water. I can see my scars and the cut on my neck that had nearly cost me my life. To most people they would seem signs of defeat, but for me they are signs of a great victory. Nothing can stop me now.
My thoughts are shattered as a stone flies over my head and lands in the water casing freezing water to splash over my face and chest.
Flying around I see Louane laughing, brandishing another stone.
In mock annoyance I shake my head, then quickly splash water at her.
Her jaw drops and she lunges at me. We both go tumbling down into the freezing water.
We scramble out, laughing even though we are both totally soaked in the icy water.
I kiss Louane’s forehead then hand a towel over thinking, Not many people would have a wife who could not only keep up with you but also have time to believe and help you achieve your dream. Even under the toughest of circumstances.
The two of us start to run again
My legs burn
My arms burn
Everything hurts
But it’s worth it
Because
EVEREST WILL BE MINE



© Copyright 2007 RadicalRice (radicalrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1318187-To-the-Peak