*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1322512-Chance
by Emry
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1322512
About a woman working in man's field, who has a hard life. Is not yet finished.
She sat at the far end of the bar facing the door, the wall at her back. Chance looked up as a few men from work walked in. Seeing her, they proceeded to her end of the bar and took up stools. The bartender brought her another beer then took the men's orders. The tallest one looked her over taking in the bright flame red hair, and astonishing height of 6' 3", which was two inches taller then him.  "How's life, Chance?" He whispered so that no one else heard. She just nodded but didn't look at him. "Heard your dad came to the warehouse and tried to rough you up." She looked up and he saw the black eye she was sporting. He flinched at the sight as if he'd been hit himself.

"Don't worry, it'll heal!" she whispered back, reaching for her purse Bruce stopped her.

"I'll take care of this. Go home and get some rest!" he stated. Chance only nodded and stood up to leave, but Bruce continued. "If I asked, would you tell me where he is?"

"Do I want to know what will happen if I do?" she asked.

He pointed at her eye. "That will never happen again!" He spoke so softly that she almost thought she heard him wrong. Without another thought about it she pulled out a card and tossed it at Bruce.

"Do me one favor, Bruce." She was pleading with him. "Don't kill him, just hurt him. Her bright blue eyes were shining with unshed tears waiting to be let go. She walked out of the bar to her truck and left without a backward glance.

She made it home without losing control and headed for the shower. As she walked through the living room she looked around the apartment and realized how bad it really was. The walls needed painting, and the floor needed new carpet. And she needed new furniture, but she felt like it would never happen. After her shower she dressed in sweat pants and a t-shirt, before sitting down to watch some television. After about 20 minutes she got up and was heading to the bedroom when the doorbell rang.

She checked the peephole and saw that it was Bruce. Quickly she opened the door and was surprised to see that he was in one piece. "He won't be bothering you anymore!" Bruce stated.

"You didn't kill him did you?" she asked.

"No!" He looked her up and down and then asked. "Do you think I can come in?"

She stepped back and opened the door all the way for him to walk in, walking in he looked around. When he heard the door close he turned to look at her with a small smile.
© Copyright 2007 Emry (red_puppy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1322512-Chance