*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1322802-The-Ever-Popular-Austen
Rated: E · Article · Biographical · #1322802
A research article on the author Jane Austen.
Is it possible to make a living concerning something one has experienced very little? Can a writer delve deeply into subjects he or she knows nothing about? In the case of the world famous writer Jane Austen, the answer is yes.

Jane Austen is a timeless novelist who wrote many classics that are still widely read today. Her six novels are filled with convincing romance. This fact is baffling when one considers her own love life, or lack thereof. Austen was never married, and supposedly had but one brief love affair, of which little is known. That Austen remained unattached until her untimely death makes her writing even more impressive.

Jane Austen was born in December of 1775 in the English countryside in Steventon, Hampshire. Her father was a rector, and her family never had much money. Both of Jane’s parents supported and encouraged her writing. She also had six brothers and one sister, who was four years her elder. Her sister, Cassandra, named after their mother, was her closest friend and confidante. Their close relationship probably influenced Jane’s writings of sisterhood, which is especially prevalent in Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice.

In 1811, Jane’s first novel Sense and Sensibility was published, but in reality she had been writing since a much younger age. Her most well-known work is Pride and Prejudice, the love story of audacious Elizabeth Bennet and the mysterious Mr. Darcy. On their first meeting, the two clash at a country ball, and Elizabeth feels contempt for Mr. Darcy’s seemingly prideful manners. But as the book unfolds, the heroine learns more and more of Darcy’s true nature and discovers that she judged him too quickly. The novel concludes at their wedding. Recently in 2005, another movie remake of this popular novel was released, proving that Austen is still influential in today’s pop culture.

Jane Austen’s writing can be characterized by several features. Her novels are about the middle-to-upper class societies of families in the countrysides of England. The characters in Austen’s novels are usually primarily concerned with the issue of marriage. Oftentimes, the characters get caught up in social misunderstandings, and many mistakes are made. But by the end of Austen’s novels, all loose ends are tied up and the characters live happily ever after, so to say.

These classic novels also include many memorable characters that help provide a social commentary. Many of these characters, from the ignorant matchmaker Emma in Emma, to the flirtatious and reckless Lydia in Pride and Prejudice, also add an element of humor. Jane Austen’s quick wit is clearly prevalent in the cleverly crafted dialogue to the subtle social observations.

From 1811 to 1818, Austen’s six books were published. During her time, the young writer’s works were popular, but they were not published under her name at her request. On July 18, 1817, at the age of 41, Jane Austen tragically died of unknown causes. Had she lived a longer life, the world would perhaps have more than six Austen novels to cherish.

This year, the movie Becoming Jane was released. Previews for the film promoted the untold tale of how Jane Austen’s own love story was the greatest of all. But because there is not much evidence of this supposed affair in actual history, the movie probably greatly exaggerated the truth. However, the release goes to prove that there is still much interest in Jane Austen, even more than a century after her death. Her enduring popularity will continue to influence our current culture.
© Copyright 2007 Megan Morgan (meganmorgan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1322802-The-Ever-Popular-Austen