*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1323341-Murder-Justificaton
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Essay · Educational · #1323341
Paragraph justifying Hop-Frog's murder of the King, written in SPA formatting.
Please read "Hop-Frog" and "The Cask of Amontillado", both by Poe, before reading this.

In discussion on Friday, a question was asked about the justification of murder; “How can killing someone be justifiable?” Though murder is by no means right, it can certainly be justified. Hop Frog is an excellent example of such a case, in comparison with Montesor. Hop Frog has led a poor life in accordance with medieval standards. He was foremost stolen away from his old life and forced to become a fool. This is predominant because, had it not happened, his life would likely have been better. This also brings about constant ridicule and complete lack of gratitude, each of these furthered because “(he) could only get along by a sort of interjectional gait – something between a leap and a wriggle” (Poe, pg, 318). He is, in a proper sense, a prisoner as well, and therefore obligated to do what is commanded of him under the threat of severe punishment or death. Despite this, he does manage to find a sole friend, Trippetta, and since she is the only friend he has, it makes her all the more precious. The King, of course, “pushed her violently from him, and threw the contents of his brimming goblet in her face” (pg. 321), this wine being that which Hop Frog was made to toast to the health of his absent friends, those friends which he was taken away from long years ago. He is forced to watch his only companion disgraced and then to recall the fact that he is totally unaware of the condition of his friends, whether it be their health or if they are still alive. Both of these events happen on his birthday, a time to celebrate the achievement of staying alive a year more, but in his case to count the years he has been removed from his former life, though a birthday would not be the only time for such recollection. To push all of this buildup over the top, the King has intoxicated Hop Frog to the point of murder, with years of resent to fuel him. Had Montesor been more justified than Hop Frog in his murderous intentions, there would have been more evidence about the insult that caused him to vow for revenge rather than simply a vague mention to the idea.
Works Cited:
Poe, Edgar Allan, “Hop-Frog”, “The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings”, New York, Penguin, 1986
© Copyright 2007 Kiara Allerion (kiara_allerion at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1323341-Murder-Justificaton