*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1323801-My-Diploma
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #1323801
After 15 years going back to school wasn't going to be easy.
  I finally decided that after fifteen years I was going to go to classes to get my G.E.D. I was forced to drop out of high school after becoming pregnant.
  I located the place where classes were being held nearest my home.
  The first day I went I had all kinds of crazy ideas flying through my head. What if I was the oldest person in the class? What if I failed because in the past my math skills were poor? What if I failed the G.E.D. test period?
  I entered the room to find it contained students of every sex, race, and age. To my amazement sitting at one of the desks was my husband's best friend's wife. The teacher introduced herself by her first name and explained how the classes went. I was to take a pretest to determine what areas I needed help in. Each student worked at their own pace.
  So I took my pretest and scored highly in every category except math. But the teacher explained that all the scores were added up and averaged out. The test was broken down into subjects but good reading comprehension was what mattered most.  The teacher sayed to stay and work on my math but that I could begin taking my tests.
  Math has always been my weakest subject. In school I was an A student except for math. In high school I took the lowest level math course available.
I began taking my tests. I couldn't believe how easy they were on top of being mutiple choice. While doing that I worked on my math.
  When I got past basic math and into fractions I began having extreme trouble. I went to class less and less. I soon gave up my goal of getting my diploma.
  My teacher never gave up on me. Finally one day she asked me how many tests did I have left to take. When I told her just math, she sat down by me and said, " I know math is not strong point, but don't quit now. At least take the test and maybe because it's multiple choice you'll pass."
  So I went and took my math test. All the other subjects gave you sentence to read and then asked you some questions. Math required calculating. When I got to fractions and Algebra I just chose the answer that seemed the likelyest. I just barely passed.
  The school holding the G.E.D. classes was having a formal cap and gown ceremony for all of us with Sheriff Joe Arpio as our key speaker.  I bought a new dress and we had cake after the ceremony. My parents were so proud they both sent me flowers.  I was beaming with pride when they called my name and I  walked up on the stage. It was one of best moments of my life.
  Getting my G.E.D. not only made me proud but boosted my self-confidence. I enrolled in business school to obtain a diploma. I realized a whole new world was before me. Good-bye minimum wage jobs. I could work smarter not harder. I owe a lot to that teacher who encouraged me to fulfill my goal. I will never forget her.
 
© Copyright 2007 Nora Wilde (toowilde at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1323801-My-Diploma