*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1324534-The-Fairness-Doctrine
Rated: E · Essay · Political · #1324534
Just something I wrote one night after watching the news
It seems that the older I get, the less tolerance I have for the stupidity displayed by those I have unwittingly elected to public office. In almost 20 years of elections, I believe I have only missed one, so I really don't have anyone to blame but myself. Of course, I suppose I didn't elect everyone up there in DC, so maybe it is not ALL my fault.

The latest feud I'm watching right now is over the reinstatement of the "Fairness Doctrine," an older policy that required media outlets such as TV and radio shows to allow equal airtime for opposing viewpoints, blah blah blah... Anyway, some people seem to feel that those with a conservative slant to their shows like Rush Limbaugh have too much influence and there should be a federally mandated requirement that they allow equal time to opposite views. This is out of control.

First of all, I cannot specifically recall the last time I listened to Rush Limbaugh. I know who he is, but his opinions are too far off the right side of the spectrum for me. I don't mind that he has those opinions and gets to air them on a radio show -- in fact I appreciate that I live in a country where this can happen. However, as a consumer, I will simply turn my radio dial to something different that I feel like listening to at that point. Nobody can MAKE me listen to talk radio that I do not like.

Second, how in the world do they expect to enforce such an idea? Does this mean that they plan on reviewing every opinion put forward to the public in the media? Will it apply to TV and newspapers as well? How do you report every news story from differing viewpoints? Isn't news supposed to be objective anyway? I will admit that I'd be really curious to see how those calling for the implementation of this idea react when Osama bin Laden himself contacts the major media outlets demanding equal time under the Fairness Doctrine to argue that terrorism is good for America.

Last point for right now -- what about our beloved concept of "freedom of speech?" I kind of enjoy being able to rant about things that tick me off. Mostly I just complain to my friends, co-workers, or the staff up at The Diner. They are all pretty good listeners. But how would I feel if I had to drag around someone who had a different viewpoint? Man, that would be a pain. Would this person have to move into my house and debate every single opinion I have? I think if that were the case I would somehow end up in a rather nasty fistfight, which I naturally believe I would win. Of course, this other person would have to disagree with that.

On that note, I have to go now. I have to spend 20 minutes typing this opinion from a different viewpoint.
© Copyright 2007 Calvin Egg (skeeterhawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1324534-The-Fairness-Doctrine