*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1329498-Disabled-or-LazeyWhat-I-meant
by Inky
Rated: · Bulletin · Adult · #1329498
A lesson learned.
I am writing today with a high hope, I can make amends with all those offended by the first artical I wrote on disabilty. I may not have been specific enough in my writing. When I wrote that piece I only had a few in mind. A few that I know personly. I have no problem with people being disabled and collecting for their misfortune. Some do not have any choice at all in that. I will give you a smaple.
I knew a woman we will call Tracey, and she collected welfare for her children. She lied to the office saying the father was unknown. He was still living with her making great money. Several years later the state of Massachussettes told her that she had been running out of time and needed to search for daycare and go to work. Instead, she fot on disabilty. Because she was on disability the state could not take her welfare benifits. Now her husband works, she gets a check from welfare, foodstamps, a disabilty check, and she can do this for the rest of her life.
I asked her why she does not want to work. I also asked her how she could get on disabilty without having a purpose. Tracey looked me right in the eyes and laughed as she explained herself. "Why go to work. I am set for life this way. I can get away with screwing my government so I will. As far as how I got on disabilty, you fail a few tests on purpose and act stressed enough to snap and you are in."
So you see I never meant to insult the disabled. I meant to insult the people that are collecting from the disabilties they do not have. Peace.
© Copyright 2007 Inky (loretta3572 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1329498-Disabled-or-LazeyWhat-I-meant