*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1332313-Love-In-Shadow
Rated: · Short Story · Friendship · #1332313
A best friend who hides from the one he loves.
This will be finished later today. Please, if you are reviewing, bookmark until about 3PM! Sorry for the inconvenience.

The closed curtains shrouded the room, leaving a sliver of light under the window. Only the computer monitor was on. The floor was covered in tattered notes; even the wallpaper had been ripped in several places. A man lie on the bed.

"I will provide my soul if you long for happiness..." Jared ripped up the note. "God, I'll never get this!" She pounded his dominate fist into the wall. A searing pain ran up his arm. "Shit! Now I'll never get this thing done."


The glass door of the coffee shop sparkled in the distance. She was there. Her faux fur coat draping her in warmth. Simply saying her name would fill you with warmth. Yet, to Jared, it could only mean concealment. Jared might as well have worn a mask. For the past two years, he had hidden everything but his face from her.

"Good morning Mailey." Just seeing her made Jared smile.

"Oh, good morning Jared. I washed your apron for you." Jared did not understand the next thing she said. She had looked up, and her blue eyes were glimmering like freshly polished diamonds. "Got it?" Her attitude was still happy, so Jared hadn't done anything wrong. Though, he didn't know what to do at all, so he would have to trick her out of it.

"So you want me to...." he leaned inwards slightly.

"Restock the coffee on that shelf over there. Don't forget to put your clean apron on." Her tone fluctuated slightly, but she put on a smile. He started walking toward the stockroom. "Uhh...Jared." She held up the apron like a 6th place trophy, and tossed it to him.

"Thanks." Jared once again started toward the stockroom. It was not a particularly long walk to the stockroom. The door was a mere six and a half feet away. Jared only knew this after the renovation. The store had caught fire two years ago, just a month after he had begun working there. The old owner moved out, and a Caribou coffee moved in. It was a long agreement, as the workers argued for their jobs. Eventually, Caribou agreed to hire them as employees.

© Copyright 2007 bobhaslife (bobhaslife at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1332313-Love-In-Shadow