*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1334135-The-Delmars-of-Delaney-County
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Family · #1334135
An introduction to a loving family written to fulfill Lesson 3 for Genesis 1.
I want to tell you about some neighbors of mine.  The Delmar family consists of six people.  There’s Jason, the patriarch of the clan, who drives a truck for a local car dealer. Melanie, the matriarch, operates an herb shop. The shop, Delmar Organic Herbs, is located on their property on the outskirts of Delaney, Oklahoma.  The other members of the family are their children; Jason Jr., 17, Justine, 15, Steven, 12, and the “baby” Rosalinda, 2.

Jason and Melanie were both born in Delaney, in 1953.  They attended Delaney High School together and became sweethearts in the seventh grade, when they discovered their birthdays were only ten days apart.  Although Jason was given the money to attend college by his parents, he chose to use the money to purchase a truck in order to go into business with his father.  This was a decision that he has never truly regretted. Jason is a balding man, standing six feet two inches tall, with a noticeable “beer belly”.  Melanie has been forced to take on a mild nagging role, in order to get “Big D” to watch his health more closely.  In the last year, he has started taking medication to control his blood pressure, and to lower his cholesterol.  He doesn’t get much regular exercise due to the nature of his job.  Big D spends an average of 60 hours each week “on the job”, much of that on the road, out of town.  His off work activities include keeping the homestead in good order, and watching rodeo.  He is very much in love with his wife, and ensures that they have their private night out at least once each month.  He watched his parents grow apart toward the end of their lives, and is determined to avoid that in his own life.  He has no siblings, and his workload has limited his long term friendships, although, he and Melanie have maintained a few friendships from their high school days.

Melanie, on the other hand, managed to earn her way through college via a variety of scholarships and hard work.  She earned her Batchelor’s degree in business just two month’s before Jason Jr. was born July 15, 1990.  Her business was started when Steven started school. Jason’s average earnings of $70,000 each year pay all the families expenses, while the proceeds of the shop allow for luxuries and healthy college savings. “Mel” wears her fiery red hair long, when unbound it falls to her waist.  Her five foot three inch frame is a slim 120 pounds.  She maintains her figure through her daily Tai Chi routines, gardening and a healthy diet.  In addition to gardening, which maintains her stock of herbs for the shop, Mel makes handmade paper.  The paper is used to make greeting cards, with her original poetry.  She also, conducts monthly herbal classes at the shop where people can learn to make flavored vinegars, pot-pourri, and herbal beauty products.

Jason Jr. will be graduating this school year and plans to join his father in the car hauling business, after completing his associate’s degree.  “Junior” bears a strong resemblance to his father, with his six foot two inch frame.  At 180 pounds he is physically fit due to his activity level.  Junior helps out at home, volunteers at the School for the Blind, and attends classes in diesel engine repair at the vocational technical school concurrently with his high school courses.  He recently attained the rank of Eagle Scout, with his project at the county park.  The project was a walking trail for disabled children with special stations at regular intervals designed for children with vision impairments.

Justine is a sophomore this year, and intends to study art in New Orleans.  At fifteen, she is a lovely, younger version of her mother.  She is a slender 120 pounds, standing five feet eight inches.  She helps out at home and in the herb shop.  Her watercolors grace the greeting cards Mel makes, and keeps the shop stocked with beautiful still life paintings. She joins her older brother at the School for the Blind, every week.

Steven is in sixth grade.  When he is not at school, or joining his siblings at the School for the Blind, he is with his Boy Scout troop. He is rapidly catching up to his brother, at five feet even and 110 pounds with curly, auburn hair.  He is on the basketball team at school and helps his mom with the landscaping at home.  He is not certain what he wants to do with his life, but is leaning toward horticulture and landscaping.  He is currently deep in the planning stages of his Eagle project of updating the landscaping at the School for the Blind.

Rosalinda was an unplanned, but delightful surprise for the entire family.  She is a typical two year old, into everything and rapidly adding to her impressive vocabulary.  Her favorites are her older siblings and the family’s ten year old Tonkinese cat.  The feelings are mutual, on all counts.  She is a little carrot top who weighs in at a mere twenty-five pounds.  The family’s involvement with the School for the Blind is due to Rosalinda, who was born blind.


© Copyright 2007 Ms.Magi (magimarie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1334135-The-Delmars-of-Delaney-County