*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1336309-The-Interview
by Dave
Rated: E · Short Story · Opinion · #1336309
Assignment #37 for The Terrace
“Guess what, Boss! Mrs. Alouiscious H. Brown has just assented to an interview on her son’s political campaign.”

Jasper Braxton lifted his brooding gray eyes from the paperwork on his desk, plucked the old stogie stub from the permanent pout of his lips, and replied, “You’re kidding! Mrs. Brown has never given an interview about her family. That hoity-toity old broad wouldn’t give the lowly news media the time of day. How did you wrangle that caper, Jason?”

“One of Rodney’s campaign staffers is an old college acquaintance who owed me. We ran in different circles, since he had the resources and connections to live in the frat house while I had to work for the rent on my dorm room, but I bailed him out a bunch of times by doing some writing for him, including the ethics thesis for a law class he was about to fail. I convinced him that an interview with old Gwendolyn might help to soften Rodney’s reputation as a spoiled reprobate and warm the voters up to him a bit.”

A smirk crossed the crusty old news director’s face as he responded, “Humph! There’s not enough warmth in that old battleaxe to melt a stick of butter.”

A sly smirk slowly spread across the Adonis features of Jason Campion as he responded, “Yeah, but old Charlie Bingham is a smooth talking son of a gun, and, as I said, he owes me. Isn’t it amazing what a little well-placed blarney can do?’’

Jasper’s brow wrinkled as he wiped his bald pate with stubby fingers and his lips pursed around that ever-present stogie while he contemplated the ramifications of this titillating little development. “Well, it’ll certainly give us a boost in the ratings. When is it going to happen?”

“Monday night at 8 just before the election to give it maximum impact.”

**********


Jason and his camera crew showed up at the Brown mansion at the appointed time and were escorted into a sitting room furnished with lavish antique furniture and the attendant trappings requisite for a family of such stature. When the camera crew had its lighting and sound equipment set up, Mrs. Brown entered the room and took her seat in a wing chair with elegantly upholstered back, seat and arms and satin cherry Queen Anne legs, across from Jason, who was perched on a simple wooden desk chair.

Right on cue, a stiff little smile appeared on her stern countenance as Jason thanked her profusely for taking the time to let the public get a closer look at the family environment responsible for Rodney’s success.

She went into a rambling list of accomplishments and positions held during Rodney’s shining career from kindergarten through law school. When Jason had the audacity to ask her what specifically qualified Rodney for the position he was now seeking, she glared at him with steely blue eyes and hissed, “My Rodney has NEVER failed at anything in his life! He is certainly better qualified than that Ralph Winchester, or whatever his name is.”

Jason opened the portfolio he held in his lap and pulled out some pictures. He handed them to her and asked, “Is this how he succeeds?”

She stared at the pictures a moment. Then she started sputtering and stammering something about impudence before bursting out of the room. Jason and his crew were summarily escorted off the premises.

The studio follow-up to the interview broadcast the photos of Rodney Brown passing wads of cash to Vinnie Vincente, a notorious mobster, for all the world to see.

The next evening, after the election results were announced, Jason had dinner with his sister and her husband, Ralph Winchester, as they celebrated Ralph’s stunning victory over Rodney Brown.

THE END



621 words
Beginning: Jason tells his news director about upcoming interview.
Settings: 1. News directors office; 2. Sitting room of the Brown mansion.
Plot: Jason uses Mrs. Brown to expose her son’s corrupt ways.
Ending: Jason celebrates Rodney Brown’s defeat with his victorious brother-in-law.
© Copyright 2007 Dave (drschneider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1336309-The-Interview