*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1337256-The-Cruise
by IdaLin
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1337256
Angie isn't sure a cruise is a good idea, but goes with her friends anyway.
Angie stood by the ship's rail staring out at the sea. I should never have come on a cruise alone. she thought bitterly. She glanced back at the lit ballroom behind her. All the happy couples dancing and laughing. She turned back to her contemplation of the waves. A single tear fell slowly down her face.

Jim and Louise suggested she go on the cruise. Jim said, "It will be fun, Ange, get your mind off things. Who knows, maybe you'll meet your prince charming."

She had glared at him then, but finally decided she may as well go. How could it be worse than staring at the walls? That seemed to be all she did anymore. Bill dying two years ago had caused her world to grind to a halt. Finally she decided she would venture out. She thought it was a mistake, now. Instead of walls, now she stared at water. Sighing she turned around as the sound of music became louder.

A man she didn't know had just walked out of the doors to the ballroom. He took a deep breath and walked to the rail a few feet away. She frowned a little and turned back to the water, too. The salt air was damp and fragrant. She surreptitiously glanced at the man a couple times. Then he looked back and smiled.

"Hi, nice night." he said quietly.

"Yes, it's beautiful, isn't it?"

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Oh, yeah, just thinking."

"Oh, sorry, do you want to be alone?" he asked and backed away from the rail a step.

"No, you don't have to go." she said quickly, and smiled a little. "My name's Angie."

"Robert," he reached out and their hands met. "nice to meet you, Angie."

She felt something when she shook his hand. A little jolt of electricity. "My friends are inside, are you with anyone?"

"I came with my brother and his wife, felt a little like an intruder, so I came out here. Glad I did."

She was glad it was dark enough he couldn't see her face flush. She leaned back against the rail facing the sea, and he came and stood closer to her now. Almost close enough to touch. She breathed in his warm scent.

"Nice to meet you, too, Robert." She smiled and nodded, then leaned a little closer, just so her arm brushed his. "I'm glad I came, too."
© Copyright 2007 IdaLin (conniefs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1337256-The-Cruise