*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1337315-Hannahs-on-Main----Passion-in-Cuisine
Rated: E · Article · Food/Cooking · #1337315
Hill Country Chefs with a Passion for the Art of Food
             
          I never cease to be filled with awe over the artistic character that flows through the Texas Hill Country.  From the visually expressive who cast their zeal onto canvas or in sculpture, to those who convey their ideas and passions in song or verse…Both Dale Mayfield and ShAnnie leap to mind there.  It’s just unavoidable how articulate folks are around here!  Artistic media such as this are at the forefront of recognition, but recognition of culinary talents as true art often go unrecognized.  We are fortunate to have a growing community of gastronomic artisans that well deserve recognition.  Down on the west end of Fredericksburg on Main Street, in the block between Crockett and Orange, you can find a restaurant where the passion for excellent food is so thick, it’s positively oozing out the front door!  Hannah’s on Main is right there; a warm and inviting presence in this fine community.  Named for Dean and Kimberly Brunner’s only daughter, Hannah, this place stands as a testament to their devotion to family, creating great food, and warm hospitality.

        A native Texan, Kimberly started learning her craft at her grandmother’s knee from an early age and watched Julia Child on public television every Saturday afternoon.  Sighting growing up on a family farm as one of the most powerful influences in her passion for good, fresh food, she claims there are few other things she ever imagined doing professionally.  She sought her formal education from at New England Culinary Institute in Montpelier, Vermont.  There she learned classic technique and experienced many different styles of cooking.  “I always wanted to create beautiful food, but the Chefs at NECI really opened my eyes to the total experience.”  Kim related during our time together.  “I remember working on a really complicated seared tuna dish one night in the second year dinner block.  The main garnish was this fried potato basket with a mixture of white and sweet potatoes with a few beet strands thrown in.  It was really complicated to make and I can still remember how balled up inside I was getting just trying to get it right.  In the end, it was the most beautiful dish I’d ever seen.  The plate looked like a painting of a beach sunset.  I looked up right into the Chef’s eyes and said: “You miss California, don’t you?”  After that, I don’t think I’ve ever looked at food quite the same.  Even in the simplest presentations you can still convey the deepest expressions of raw emotion without ever saying a word.”

        The food at Hannah’s is New American cuisine, or Upscale American Cuisine; simply put: classical technique and ethnic twists are applied liberally (and lovingly) to old favorites.  Throughout the menus, whether you visit at breakfast, lunch, or the weekend dinners, you can find fun, fresh, wonderful food.  At breakfast the toasting bread and cream biscuits are freshly made on site, and Kimberly has put her own spin on Corned Beef Hash.  Lunch is a fabulous medley of tastes from all over the continent as well as their own inspired creations.  The fall menu features a Farfalle pasta dish with Caramelized Onions, Roasted Butternut Squash, Steamed Broccoli and Parmesan Cheese that isn’t to be missed!  I had mine with grilled chicken.  The soups are superbly created and well seasoned and the perennial favorite seems to be the Roasted Tomato Soup.  Dean’s fall signature Pomegranate marinated Lamb Chops have immerged on the weekend dinner menu.  The best part, they are friendly to special diets and pride themselves in creating exceptional dining experiences for everyone.           

          Bread is another signature item of Hannah’s.  Kimberly’s artisan crafted breads are created using her own sourdough starter she cultivated over a decade ago.  Missing the bread she acquired a taste for back east, this enterprising woman read every book she could lay her hands on, studied, practiced, and continues to hone her bread baking craft.  Natural and organic flours are the corner stones of the delicious art she creates.  According to locals the Blue Cheese Walnut, Kalamata Olive and Herb, and the Jalapeno Cheese loaves are the stuff of legend!  Many long time enthusiasts of her produce report that they can tell when she has not put a personal hand in the crafting of a particular loaf.  When asked about this claim, Kimberly simply smiles:  “I love what I do.  It’s that simple.  Beyond that...It's my secret.”

                  Desserts....Especially chocolate are another specialty of the Lady Chef.  The most recent feather in her cap is a decadent, ten inch tall confection that has affectionately been dubbed:  "The Seduction Cake."  The cake comprises five different layers with different textures and densities; which are then frosted with Ganache and the sides coated with crushed nut praline.  “We pulled this one out when I was having one of my strong chocolate fantasies.  I’m really proud of it and am very glad it has become so well received with our customers,” Kimberly commented. 

            Kimberly is particularly proud of her staff that she calls her “second family.”  It was clearly evident during my visit that each individual takes pride in displaying professionalism and hospitality at every turn.  “It says Fine Dining on the window, but we aren’t by any means stuffy or pretentious.  We love a beautiful atmosphere, where good friends can gather, have an exceptional meal, great beverages, and leave feeling well cared for.”  Even Hannah herself invests time during the week connecting with the customers.  If you haven’t ventured in to Hannah’s on Main yet, it’s well worth your time to visit and experience another dimension of Texas Hill Country art at its best.  Hannah's can be found at 232 West Main Street in Fredericksburg, Texas.  Look them up at www.hannahsonmain.com


© Copyright 2007 Olivia K.Homecoming (chefmommie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1337315-Hannahs-on-Main----Passion-in-Cuisine