*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1340679-A-Ramble
Rated: E · Essay · Writing · #1340679
A rambling essay on writing
A blank page is ideas not yet allowed to play. A full page is a work in progress. It is not a finished product by a long shot, or even a good one. It a birth that had not yet shown what it could do. It is, however, always something. It is some germ of an idea that must be nurtured or it will be wasted.

How to fill that page so that the germ will form is simple. Simple, yet difficult to practice. It is placing your self before the blank space, and starting to work. It is staying there till you filled that space with words, the only proper fuel for germs. Or in this case, a sellable manuscript. Sometimes this is easy to do. The main difficulty is keeping up with the torrential pouring of words from brain to fingers to paper. Other times it is hard labor indeed, when the muse grows shy and it is easier to wrestle with pythons than to create even one sentence. Forget about whether it is well crafted or not.

In the face of this, it is easy to try and ignore the chore altogether. After all the people nearest you tend to prefer when you are doing something they consider productive, such as wash dishes. It is hard labor indeed, after all, to get that brain child born, even when it comes forth, perfectly formed and brilliant with promise and life, you still have to sell her. Who needs that kind of aggravation?

You do! If you do not, you would not have read the ramblings of a fellow writer struggling with this very same issue. You would have not tried to write in the first place. You would have gone in a trade where you could earn a real living if you didn't have a deep hunger to fill that blank space!

So, that said, what are you still doing reading? Stop, get to your computer, and fill that blank page! Fill that boring, empty space with promise. You'll be surprised how entertaining it could become.
© Copyright 2007 FreeFall (a.b.harrison at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1340679-A-Ramble