*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1342420-Inner-Self--Free-Expression
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1342420
Personal expressions and thoughts on writing.
I’m writing this to provide encouragement to all those who enjoy expressing themselves in words. Whether it be a poem, lyric, short story, novel, instructional procedures, or miscellaneous thoughts, I hope you find something within these words that assist in providing inspiration to you to finish that piece you always wanted to or to start another one.

I’m not an English teacher or a proclaimed literary expert. I don’t know all there is to know about writing mechanics or can’t call to mind definitions for prepositions, superlatives, imperatives, or Iambic pentameter. I’m not an author but I have written many stories. I’m not a poet but I’ve written many poems. I’m not a musician but I have written lyrics for songs. I am who I am. I’m not you and you’re not me. We’re both special and individuals.

Below will be a series of personal questions I’ll be reflecting on and providing my opinion. If they reach you and assist in your works, I’ve accomplished my task. If they reach you and assist in just thinking how special you are and how special your pieces are, I’ve accomplished my task.


WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO WRITE?

There is so much in the world that inspires me. The fact that you’re reading this essay, if you will, inspires me. I love the fact that language, provides an avenue of feelings that we can use to capture our innermost expressions to either preserve personal experiences or share them with others.


DOES POETRY HAVE TO RHYME?

Quite simply, I’d say no. Poetry to me is a very exciting way to express your feelings, thoughts, ideas, and more. If you’re thinking about how I can shape my thoughts into becoming a legitimate Haiku, Sonnet, Tanka or Ballad, then you’re possibly losing your own way to relay what you want to write. You could be focusing too much on how to retro fit your inner expressions to a framework or body that doesn’t allow for you to define your work a lot or a little.

Now I’m not saying that knowing that these forms of poetry exist isn’t important, but sometimes there isn’t a way already defined that you can express what you want to say. Sometimes even freestyle doesn’t classify it. Sometimes only your words and how they come out is the way is does the best representation for that work.

So I ask you to ask yourself when staring at your work in progress or completed piece; am I satisfied with the way it came out? Does it tell me what I want to relay or capture? If it does, then you’re successful. And you know what, if it doesn’t, perhaps it’s so abstract that even you can’t shape it, then that in itself is beautiful too. Learn to love your work and be happy with the results. Don’t let discouragement encroach on your creativity. Always strive to write what you feel, or how your character’s feel, and write what captures the scene, plot, action, or what have of that exact moment. Learn to be free and enjoy words. Enjoy language. Be yourself first.


WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT REVIEWS FROM OTHERS?

Those who review, have a very important role, a privilege, to read other writer’s works and provide direction and comments on them. There are varying degrees of this that I’ll discuss lightly.

When I review people’s work, I always provide encouragement and praise. That’s just me. I believe the writer has accomplished something that no one else has captured, a piece of themselves. Like an artist or photographer, they’ve completed a picture or painting that is unique. This alone deserves praise. The writer has poured out his/her heart and soul, sometimes for years, to say I’m finished. Providing encouragement, respect, and appreciation for such a task is well worth a kind word or two.

Constructive criticism is sometimes important as well if the writer is requesting it. It’s so easy to pick people’s work apart behind our own rose colored glasses isn’t it? Perhaps they don’t write what we like to read so our comments will be swayed toward our own unintentional bias. Perhaps they use very expressive words or vulgarity that we might find offensive so we rate it poorly or even choose not to read it. Perhaps they read something of ours and we didn’t know how to take their comments so we retaliate. Perhaps they touch a sensitive area that reaches us so deeply we review it harshly. Isn’t this true?

We are who we are and that’s why there are many types of genres out there in language, movies, music, and every other form of creativity and art. I know we all tend to write good reviews and provide encouragement and a way for the writer to grow but do we truly clear our minds before we read. Do we clean our literary palettes before we digest more pieces so we can give it an honest chance? Personally, this is what I endeavor to accomplish. Sometimes this proves to be difficult and if I know I’m not in the right mindset for reading something, I won’t even attempt it. Every piece I read, I take the time to review and comment on. The writer strives to become proficient in their strength and style so reading fine words from reviews builds them up or could possibly tear them down.

Review with kindness and with the purpose of encouraging that writer. After all, if writers didn’t receive kindness, if they didn’t know that there works are good; our libraries wouldn’t be filled with authors. Take the time, as the writer did, and provide that encouragement and be honest. If the writer seriously lacks something you think you could provide assistance on then let them know in private in a respectful and considerate way. Many writers are truly looking to become authors and be published. Maybe we have that little something that can push them into that dream! Reviewing is a privilege.


DO YOU EVER RUN INTO PERIODS WHERE YOU CAN’T WRITE?

This is probably the term they call writer’s block. It’s a period of time where the writer can’t even think of words or complete a sentence and seems to fit. It’s a phase that makes it very difficult to write in and get out of. I’ve been there before, in fact, I was there last night. It’s not fun but it does provide some time for soul searching. When I’m feeling like this, literary congestion I like to call it, I reach out for inspiration among people with similar interest. I turn and read other people’s works, listen to my favorite music, drink or eat my favorite beverage and food. Does this always help? No, but the majority of time it gets me doing something else that eventually leads me back to my writing in the right mind frame.

I will say that while I’m in these phases, this isn’t the best time to review your own work. Take your leave and don’t rewrite or change anything. Come back another time and revisit your masterpiece. Otherwise, you might do some serious changes that will completely throw you off course. Believe me, I’ve used the delete key way too many times and it only led to losing valuable writing. Know yourself and know when it’s time to take a break.


In the end my friends, let us strive to write well and express ourselves freely. Never losing our love for the literary word and enjoy the journey we all have to personally make to become better.

Best regards to you all.

Ray (WiredDreamer)
© Copyright 2007 WiredDreamer (wireddreamer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1342420-Inner-Self--Free-Expression