*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1343036-Smart-Sweet--Single
Rated: E · Draft · Young Adult · #1343036
The beginning of a young adult novel. About a boy afraid to ask girls out.
There was something about Alyssa Gibbons that he couldn’t resist. What that was, whether it was the fiery red hair, her green eyes or even her smile didn't matter. She was smart, she was sweet, and she was single. In Griffin’s mind, those three “S’s” were all that mattered. Well, in truth, he did fall for girls with good looks, but without the three “S’s” a gorgeous girl could turn out to be a real dud as a person.
Griffin was tall, slender, and for the most part, extremely quiet, especially around girls. He had never had a girlfriend, and he had never been kissed. Griffin knew that there was no reason that a girl wouldn’t like him if they would just take the chance to get to know him. He also knew that it would be quite impossible for them to even begin to understand him unless he could hold a reasonable conversation. Well, that was just it; Griffin could hardly talk to a girl without having his throat go dry or having clammy hands.
That was why, in the beginning of summer during his transition from being a freshman to being a sophomore, he vowed to himself that he would get the courage to ask a girl out. As to how Griffin planned to do this, a complete mystery, until he met his next door neighbor.
It had all started on a scorching hot day in the middle of August. Griffin sat on the last step of his deck with his shirt off. It was as if he was bathing in his own sweat. He was waiting for his mom to come with a key, since he forgot to take his out with him. Griffin was bored out of his mind and the next minute he was filled with excitement and anticipation.
Griffin noticed a big moving truck coming up the street. In front of it was a mini-van and a u-haul. The moving truck parked on the side of the street, while the Jeep pulled into the driveway of the house next door. The first out the car was a middle-aged mother with red hair. Then a girl came out that looked about the same age as Griffin. Her hair was very long just past her shoulder blades and it was the same shade as her mother’s.
Followed by the ladies, was a dog, a boy (whom which Griffin guessed was about 8 years old), and what looked to be the dad of the family. The man looked like he was in his mid forties. His hair was a much darker version of red while the mom and the daughter's hair was a strawberry-blonde shade.
Griffin was pleased that he didn't get an old couple for neighbors as they were previously. He particularly like the girl, who, in his mind was very attractive. Now that Griffin had gotten a good look at his new neighbors, he seized the opportunity to meet them. He took a deep breath and walked over.
“Hi I'm Griffin I live right next door to you guys,” he said as he pointed to his house.
“Oh nice to meet you. I'm Janine, Janine Gibbons,” said the mother. This is Dan my husband, Alyssa my daughter, and Zach my son.”
Each of them shook hands with him. When he shook Alyssa's hand he gave her a sweet smile. She smiled back and he thought he saw the color of he face turn a subtle shade of pink.
“Oh yes,” she added “and this is Kacey,” she patted his head.
“So, where did you move from?” Griffin asked.
“Well, we lived in Montana,” the dad answered. “Anyways we better start unloading the furniture and boxes. Nice meeting you.”
“You too, welcome to Arizona,” Griffin said. He had almost started to walk away when Alyssa stopped him, tapping on his bare shoulder.
“What High School are you going to,” Alyssa asked.
“Umm I go... to Kennedy High,” Griffin sputtered. As soon as he said this Alyssa's face lit up.
“Really, I'm going there too!” Alyssa said, clearly excited.
“Cool,”
“By the way what grade are you in?” she asked.
“I'm a sophomore, what about you?”
“Same here!” Alyssa beamed.
“So how do you like it here in Arizona?” Griffin ventured to ask.
“Honestly I can't stand the weather,” Alyssa said.
“Well it's only bad in the summer. It cools down around October,” Griffin said trying to reassure her.
“Well I guess I better help the family,” Alyssa waved goodbye. “Nice meeting you Griffin!”
“You too see you around,” Griffin waved, turned around and had to resist his urge to skip. He was beaming from ear to ear with to luck that had just struck him. Griffin was surprised that his conversation was relatively smooth as well.


© Copyright 2007 writerchica452 (berrychica91 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1343036-Smart-Sweet--Single