*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1344485-The-Power-of-Words
Rated: E · Essay · Family · #1344485
Words can help or harm
  Words can bring us happiness and they can bring us sorrow.  They can unite nations and end wars.  They can divide nations and begin wars.  They can join two people in marriage or they can just as easily end a marriage.  Words can raise a person to great heights and words can wound a person, or a group of people, to their very souls.  We are not all writers.  We are not all good with words.  We all do have a responsibility to use our words wisely whether spoken or written.  Name-calling and verbal bullying is something one might expect at grade school or even middle school, but by the time one gets to college or university, it is hoped that those juvenile uses for words will have been outgrown.  Sadly, this is not the case.  Here on our beautiful campus at GCCC, I have heard wounding words ring out in prejudice against my fellow students.
  Yes, we as Americans do have the right to say whatever we choose and I do not dispute that, I cherish it, but just because we have that right, does not mean that we have to abuse that right.  Our campus, like others all across America, consists of a diverse group of people all here for one thing .  .  .to get an education.  Our students should expect to get that education without fear of ridicule for their particular beliefs, ethnic background or sexual orientation.  Being diverse, embracing our differences, and adapting to change is what makes America so great. 
  Verbal bullying, or prejudice by words and actions is a sign of immaturity, insecurity, and intolerance.  The people that resort to that type of behavior need to step back and think how such actions make them look to others.  I am fortunate that I was raised in a military family and was exposed to peoples of all kinds and was taught tolerance.  It never once occurred to me as I grew up to judge other people based on their skin color, their social status, their religious beliefs, or their sexual preferences.  Rather, I base my opinions of someone on how they treat me and how they treat others.  I do not let the actions of a few bad people taint my views of the entire group. 
  It is my hope that at some point during the education process here at the college, these bullies will begin to learn tolerance and take the time to get to know the individual for their own sake and not make rash generalizations based on pre-conceived false notions of what they perceive to be true.  Tolerance, like love, begins at home.  I have taught tolerance to my children and have set the example.  Just as prejudice is learned behavior, so too, is tolerance.  A tolerant campus begins with you. 
© Copyright 2007 greebie1 (bethgribas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1344485-The-Power-of-Words