*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1345865-Bee-Infestation
Rated: E · Short Story · Satire · #1345865
A story about how a man chooses to deal with a bee hive in his back yard, and a satire.
It was summer and the bees were buzzing. Buzzing with the ferocity of an army of Trojan warriors. It all occurred to me one day. This growing mass of bees forming in my backyard could lead to an unwanted outcome. I began to come up with my plan of attack. I had the brute power, they had the finesse. I went to the local grocery store an bought a huge container of WD-40. After taping a lighter to the end of the can, I had my own little makeshift flamethrower to catch the bees off guard.
I awoke the next morning, with the fire of battle burning in my heart. I put on many layers of clothing as a last defense system. The ground was still lightly covered with dew from the night before, and the sun was just rising above the horizon. Today would be a surprise attack, a preemptive attack. I was stopped just short of attacking, because my wife thoroughly did not approve my plan of attack. I have inferred that these bees have been producing some sort "weapon" that they had planned on using against my family, but I appeased my wife and held of the attack. To my dismay a swarm of fire ants invaded my kitchen that very same morning. Their tiny legs scurried across the floor in search of any scraps of food, but instead found only my arm. The little teeth of the first ant proved to be mildly painful, but I could handle it, but then came the swarm. The pain which was inflicted upon my body was as severe as anything imaginable. This was the first time that I had been attacked on my home soil, they had come into my territory, and I would fight back
I was determined to act upon this attack. I took my flamethrower, and searched for the colony of these ants, after several hours of "almosts", I gave up, but I found an advantage in this. The attack of the fire ants allowed me to gain the power over my wife to lead an attack on bees. They seemed to be up to something mischievous. That evening, I scurried across my backyard to the hive of the bees, and like a dragon, I lit it ablaze. The entire hive was basically destroyed, and it seemed as though I had achieved victory, but this was far from reality.
What I had underestimated was the resilience of the bees. Almost immediately after operation "burn down the hive". A few rogue bees, not killed from the attack, swarmed around me and I was stung. Instead of killing off all the bees and instituting peace, I just made the situation worse. Every time I leave my house to go into the backyard, there are several bees waiting for me. I cant walk ten feet without being stung. Also, even worse, the small amount of surviving bees, split up and began to form new hives all around the backyard. within the month, the yard was completely infested with the buzzing sound of bees.
Since this time I have began suffering from acute agoraphobia, and am not willing to leave my house. My neighbors all hate me now because some of the bees are even traveling into their yards. I tried to make a somewhat unstable situation, better by getting rid of it, but in the end, just made things exponentially worse.
I should have listened to my wife and just stayed completely out of the affairs of bees, because with bees, you never win.

© Copyright 2007 danman0929 (danman0929 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1345865-Bee-Infestation