*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1346066-Hollow-Darkness
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1346066
A story I've started
Death left a sour taste in her mouth, and yet all it did was drip from her fingers to the ground. The blood was now cold, and felt like ice against her hands. The wind slid across her face, humming an idle tune as if afraid to come forth, bursting into full song.

She pulled the leather coat around her tighter, avoiding any contact with anyone that passed.  With only a few more blocks left, she started to pick up her stride, almost gliding across the wet concrete sidewalk. She was almost there.

This was more trouble than it was worth.

The bar was full of drunks attempting to sober up before they left for home. The smell of ripe, sweaty bodies and sour beer-breath floated just above every table. The noise level was appallingly loud from all the club flunkies, who had gone temporarily deaf after drowning in dance music for the past couple of hours or so. They yelled back and forth across the tables to their equally deaf companions. It was almost maddening to come into.

This was the only place she was safe. She was the hunted now.


“Kate, that you?”  A man behind the bar shouted. His hands full of half-empty bottles, he moved quickly towards the door to make sure the smoky bar had not clouded his vision.

“It is you!” He shifted his body towards her excitedly almost tripping over his own feet.

She pushed him aside and headed straight from the back of the bar; waiting till the last drunk had said their polite goodnight and fled the building. Just waiting.

“It’s alright doll-face, come out and play!” The man shouted again.

“Keep it down Tobin!  I don’t know if I was followed or not!”

She emerged finally, fingers clean. Blood gone. The smell still lingered…She knew Tobin was no fool. Once a death dealer in his own right, they crossed paths several years before, and she almost died at his hands. Now, he was all she had left.

Tobin turned towards Kate and smiled. His curly soot black hair and deep blue eyes made him attractive to look at, as did his muscular form of a body. Just one more glance and anyone could notice his left hand. Immobile and covered in a black leather glove, it was a sore story for Tobin to tell anyone. The very reason why he kept the automatic on his right side, hidden under his jacket.

“Your usual Kate?” Tobin’s eyes soaking up her dark beauty.

  “Sure thing T.” Her own eyes piercing into the wood counter of the bar as she sat down. She pulled the leather coat off and placed it onto the stool next to her.

“Tobin, I need your help again…I... I need a place to stay for a while” Kate whispered in his direction, hesitantly.

“You know you do not ever have to ask me for anything.” Tobin cooed.

Tobin looked down at her slender fingers wrapped tightly around the glass. Her violet eyes gazing deep into the liquid, her lips slightly parted, her pale alabaster skin looked as if she had never seen the sunlight, never loved its warmth, had never experienced anything but cold. She seemed almost nervous, her thoughts rushing through her fingertips around the glass.

“So, dead end again?” He shifted his body towards her.

“I think I am giving up T, every time I get close it all falls apart and I am back to the beginning.” She answered. “I might as well shove the stake into my own heart, maybe that is the only way out.” Kate bit down hard on her bottom lip, breaking the soft skin with her fang.

“You can not just give up now; you’ve searched to long to give up now. I will not let that happen” He placed his hand onto her arm. “Besides, I could not lose my favorite girl, then I would have to find a replacement, and that just takes too much effort and time.” He said with slight sarcastic grin.

“Knowing your reputation Tobin, I know it would not too difficult.” Kate quipped back.

He reached down and placed a piece of paper in front of her glass. She noticed handwriting across the top, only a name, and the rest of the page was blank.

“What is this?” Kate asked.

“Your salvation Katalina... This is the man that can lead you there.” His eyes widened. “I was told this guy has a special interest in the answers you seek. What could you lose?”

“Tobin, no…I cannot do this anymore, I constantly have to watch my back for the others. They are coming for me and I have lost. Trust me, I’ll never find a cure. It’s over. All I have to do now is hide. And survive. That is all.”  Kate stood up quickly.

“I really appreciate your kindness T, really I do.” Her eyes seemed to glow against the soft lightening of the bar.

“What about Jasper? 

Kate shuddered in her coat. She could feel goose bumps rise upon her cold skin. How dare he bring him up now?

“What about him?” She growled, her hands turning to fists.

“Don’t you want revenge for him? Your happiness was all he ever wanted, and he died for you Kate!”

“That’s a lie!” She snapped back, her fangs showing now, she was ready for attack.

“ Jasper died because he was foolish, he only believed in the High Order, wanting only Vane and myself to continue his legacy and I am no longer his servant.”

“No he died protecting you, he found out what you were after and he protected you from the others.” Tobin’s tone grew impatient as he saw Kate moving towards the door.

“Yes, and now he is gone and I am alone. I can take care of myself.” She hissed back.

“Where are you going? It’s too dangerous for you out there right now.” Tobin’s tone switched for worry for the dark beauty.

“I need to go think….I’ll be back.” The door slammed shut with a strong roar.

Immediately, rain began to pour down, Kate walked slowly as if she was not even effected by the storm. Her hands reached down into her leather pockets of the coat and she noticed something buried at the bottom in the right side pocket.

She reached in and pulled out a piece out paper. Scribbled across was just a name. Nothing more.

Damn that Tobin, she forgot how sneaky he could be.

My salvation? she thought to herself looking down at the unfamiliar name.

More like another lost cause.

She carefully folder the paper back up into her pocket and walked down the empty street in front of her. She couldn’t stop thinking about Tobin’s words. What could she lose?


It was just a name after all…

         






© Copyright 2007 Faye_val (lolamoon13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1346066-Hollow-Darkness