*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1346359-Faded-Roses-A-Twisted-Fairy-Tale
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1346359
Fairy Tales, children love them, adults all know them.
         In the days of my youth, things were simple, easy. Everyday was a bright spring day, even in the cold of December. I was so full of life and hope. But hope fades, and life begins to drag on and on.
         Times spent sitting by the well in the square waiting for that special someone to take notice still lingers. Even in my old age, the need to be noticed still consumes me.
I sometimes long to go down to the square and lay back upon the grass, but I dare not. I was cleared of all charges, there was no proof to convict me. Though, I daresay the villagers would've happily stoned me all the same.
         My time grows short and so I leave this for who ever finds me, please know that I loved them all. My long years of solitude has not changed that.
         The first was a young man who worked in my father's fields. He was so handsome and so strong. I loved him fiercely and so I gave him my heart. Our affair was kept secret, he felt that my father would never understand, at least that's what he said. It was just a pretty lie, like all that he said to me.
         I caught him in the stables with another woman. He broke my heart, so I took his. I cried and morned his death. The village assumed he'd just drifted away as young men are prone to doing. It took with some time, but eventually I did recover. It was at this time that I noticed just how different I was.
         Then my father remarried and died. My step-mother ran me out of town, she wanted to take my heart, as I'd done to my love. She knew, somehow with that cursed magic she possessed, all my sins. I fled, taking nothing but the heart and the roses my lost love had given me.
         The next were actually seven men. I thought they'd be different, but men are all the same, regardless of size. I carved out their hearts and fell into a deep asleep.
         I know not how long I slept, but then a man awakened me with a kiss, he told me he loved me. He was a prince, and he wanted to marry me. I agreed and we were happy for quiet some time. Without a warning he too strayed, I had to take his lying heart too.
         So many men wanted my attention, but they were never faithful. You understand don't you? I had to punish them. My only comfort has been the bouquets of roses that I received from each, I carefully dried and saved each one. A reminder if you will of the coldness of men.
         Thirty-six lovers I've had, and thirty-six beautiful bouquets of roses have I saved. Thirty-six graves I've dug, my hands are not those of a Lady, that's why I am forced to wear gloves. Physical labor takes its toll, leaving marks that will not fade.
         But now, I'm old and unattractive to men. Without the heart's blood I cannot keep my roses red, the last bouquet faded yesterday. I now confess what the magistrate could never prove, their hearts are hidden in a box in my room.
         Signed,
         Snow White
© Copyright 2007 M.L McBryar (mlmcbryar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1346359-Faded-Roses-A-Twisted-Fairy-Tale