*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1354071-THE-PATH-OF-VIRTUE-BECKONS
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #1354071
This inspirational bit of philosophy was prompted by a writing assignment.
         It was an exceedingly small world, roughly triangular with the wealthy at the apex and the middle class and majority poor making up its foundation: the working class enslaved by the pompous, tyrannical upper class --- with neither sector truly understanding the motivations of the other. Was this God’s intent? I think not. Yet despite our disparaging polarities and regardless of station, all are strengthened or weakened by choice.

         We may be powerful within our realm of influence, regardless of whether our significance is seen or even acknowledged by those among us. Wealth can be a noose of distractions and burdens, while barely surviving can nearly break one’s spirit. [A]ll Men are created equal… endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights…/1 The paths we take and our upbringing help to conform us into the images we become. Our unique and individual obstacles embitter or make us better as we stumble upon the wisdom within our grasp along the way.

         The path of virtue beckons. We either follow our dreams or become victims of circumstance. The path of least resistance is effortless; yet cleaving to an elusive, somewhat daunting dream requires stamina and courage. Hold tight because your dreams are vitally connected to the gifts and talents bestowed upon you. Thereby dignity, integrity and honor are found at every station within this exceedingly small, roughly triangular world. Slackers will never be satisfied because by sloth they have forsaken their God-given vocation as well as their fellow man.

         At the apex, decisions will invariably have impact --- though we are not absolved if our circle is small. The structure of our society depends on every one of us.

         Life lingers for awhile, then surprisingly soon the curtain closes. What remains are the ashes… enduring mercies and encouragements bestowed along the way on those begging for a leg-up; and self-esteem and recognition are wrought as we accept efficiencies and deficiencies without prejudice. Character is refined by our practice or neglect of the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

         Significance is proven by embracing the lives we’re given, learning from our mistakes and living for the common good --- always striving for perfection in word and deed. If your tree is well tended, its fruit will be sweet and plentiful.

         Jesus admonishes us to keep His commandments, and His commandments are not burdensome./2 Likewise, the two greatest commandments are: To love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind and to love your neighbor as yourself./3

         Our lives are but a vapor,/4 and once gone, most of us will be remembered for a little while. Now, we are here. Now is the time to make a difference. Don’t stop or lessen your pace --- redeem the day!

____________________________________

1/ Excerpt from the U.S. Declaration of Independence
2/ 1 John 5:3
3/ Matthew 22:37-40 (KJV)
4/ Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. ~James 4:14 (KJV)
© Copyright 2007 Maria Mize (kimbro1958 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1354071-THE-PATH-OF-VIRTUE-BECKONS