*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1355051-not-much-here
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · None · #1355051
nothing in particular
As I handed my Student ID to the dining hall cashier, I give a subtle "hello", rather nonchalantly, and almost to the point of arrogance. After a quick swipe she places the card into my outstretched hand. I give a mild thank you and proceed into the vast, newly-renovated hall. Apart from the deafening cocktail party-like mass of voices, it had a very comforting feel. I felt as if I were walking into Val Hala, with giant Norse gods seated at massive wooden tables, large plates of massive poultry, and divinely beautiful chalices of rich, colorful wines. But reality holds no such splendor for the cheap college student, though some might say that $40,000 a year bears a financial burden of "mythic" proportions. I digress.
As I make my way along the leftmost wall, lined with computers too obsolete to even be noticed, a variety of conversations on my right entail sex, alcohol, and the everyday stresses of college life. I walk rather arrogantly, so as not to be noticed. For to stumble over one's feet, or to even exhibit anything other than unabashed confidence is enough to warrant the stale looks of hundreds of overly-stressed students.
© Copyright 2007 RussianCause (alfengor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1355051-not-much-here