*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1355259-All-the-Neighbors-Moved-Away
Rated: E · Non-fiction · History · #1355259
Streets of beautiful abandoned houses, empty storefront windows, old weathered faces.
This is a beautiful town. When you walk down Main Street, its like strolling through the 1940s, except nothing is open or running anymore. Behind the antiquated storefronts, you can look out onto the placid water held at bay by the craggy coastline. If at low tide, you meander over to where the ships once docked, you can find fragments of expensive porcelain that was once imported there, tiny glass bottles that had toppled from gargantuan heights many years before, or any number of other intriguing pieces of history. This was once a bustling town, with busy shoppers and summer vacationers. But all the fish have been caught and all the trees have been cut and no more does cash flow through this quaint little place. There are still three or four small shops - a coffee house, a restaurant, and a tiny grocery. The people are like their environment. They've seen a lot in their day, but now seem strait out of history. Also, they struggle to financially keep their heads above water. But, for the most part they're pleased driving a half hour to anything bigger than the IGA. They enjoy restoring the old fishery, bringing their history back to life. Perhaps the buisness will return to these small towns one day. For now we find an escape from commercialism and a return to modesty; there's not much else quite like it.

- Lubec, Maine 04652 "Eastern Most Town in U.S.A"
© Copyright 2007 Delores L. Haze (rhetoric at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1355259-All-the-Neighbors-Moved-Away