*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1357467-The-difference-between-horses-and-cows
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #1357467
The bill to end the slaughter of our American horses is now before congress.
I ask you then, what's the difference between a turkey and a bald eagle or a puppy and a piglet? One thing they do have in common with every other creature on this Earth, is that they deserve our consideration, respect, and protection!!!



(Read entire article)

http://advocacy.britannica.com/blog/advocacy/2007/07/ending-horse-slaughter-in-a...

(Please watch ALL of this Humane Society video then make your voice heard, America!)

http://www.hsus.org/video_clips/horse_slaughter_cruelty.html

There are also some powerful politicians and lobbyists against the bill to stop horse slaughter. It’s a surprise for some people to learn this, of course, but what the majority wants—and the vast majority of Americans oppose horse slaughter—is rarely what happens in Washington.”

“Most of the people in this country want to see slaughter ended,” notes Karen Pomroy of Equine Voices, an Arizona-based organization that rescues horses abused by the pharmaceutical industry and slated for slaughter. “The newest polls say 85 percent. For years we’ve been trying to get laws through, but too many pockets are being lined in Washington while foreign companies are making millions of dollars by killing our horses.”

What can be done? Plenty. Says Cori Menkin, an attorney and program director with the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, “You can get involved at many levels. You can join the ASPCA Advocacy Brigade and let your voice be heard. You can check to see if any of the pet food you’re buying contains horsemeat. And you can let your representatives and senators know that this issue is important to you—and keep letting them know.”

Such persistence is likely to be the key to success, Chris Heyde agrees. “I’m optimistic, if only because I get the sense on the Hill that people just want this issue to go away,” he says. “They’re tired of hearing from their constituents about it. I tell them there’s one thing they can do to make it go away, and that’s vote on it. When it comes to a vote, I’m confident that it will pass and we can end this slaughter.”

The opposition to the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act will almost certainly be fierce, assuming that the bill does in fact survive the many obstacles that lie in its path to coming to a vote. But Tom Durfee of Virginia’s Laughing Horse Sanctuary offers an elegant argument against those opponents. “One of our congressmen once asked what the difference was between a bald eagle and a turkey,” he says. “The answer is, they’re different because we say they’re different. We say horses aren’t the same as cows or goats or pigs, the things we eat; we say they’re pets, and we don’t eat our pets. I’m tired of foreign companies killing our horses, whether it’s on our soil or somewhere else. I can’t tell someone in another country what to eat, but I can say, ‘You can’t kill our horses.’ Why? Because horses are different, and we say so.”

Horses are different, to be sure. But in common with every other creature on Earth, they deserve our consideration, respect, and protection. The question remains: Why can’t Congress pass a law that once and for all bans their slaughter? An answer is long overdue.

–Gregory McNamee

______________________________________________________________

Call your Representative and Senators today and ask them to cosponsor the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act and ask leadership for a vote before they leave for the Holiday recess.

For more information on horse slaughter, including a statement from Senator Landrieu regarding recent misinformation on her bill, please visit www.awionline.org/legislation/horse_slaughter/index.htm.
To find your Representative and Senators visit www.compassionindex.org or call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to your legislators. Be sure to call your Representative and both Senators and request a written response from each Member of Congress articulating his or her position on the legislation.
We can enter 2008 knowing our horses are safe from slaughter if Congress acts immediately and passes the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act.
Each day Congress fails to act hundreds of American horses are being sent to a grueling death in Mexican and Canadian slaughterhouses.

© Copyright 2007 ByGodsGrace (sandysworld at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1357467-The-difference-between-horses-and-cows