*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1360032-Drilling-off-the-Coast
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Leslie
Rated: 13+ · Editorial · Other · #1360032
Editorial for school- drilling off the coast of Florida
The U.S. is on the verge of running out of fuel, and has been for a long time; they drill wherever seems convenient, not worrying about the fact that it's almost gone. Why doesn't the U.S., instead of destroying countless natural habitats, look for an alternative fuel source instead of putting off the inevitable?
         There have been engines created to run from a cup of water, or be powered by solar energy. The U.S. seems to reject finding any type of solution to the ever-pressing issue of fuel. While there are such models out, expanding on a solution is still pushed away. Drilling off the coast of Florida is a dangerous gamble. Why meddle with potential damage that these drills could have on Florida’s beautiful coast, wildlife and inhabitants?
         With hurricanes becoming more of a serious problem for the states surrounding the Gulf of Mexico, prodding holes to extract oil seems to only up the level of possible damage. An oil spill that occurs near a coastline will impact more living organisms than in a spill that occurs in the open ocean. This is because coastal areas are home to much more concentrated and diversified populations of marine life than the deeper waters. An oil spill would be detrimental not only to the states and life around the Gulf, but it would have a chain reaction and affect the entire world. The government knowingly puts land, animals and humans in danger to only support capitalism.
Owning and consuming more oil that is in fact coming from U.S. own soil; it would make the U.S. less dependent on others. It would not however, solve the dilemma of being reliant on oil. It’s inevitable that the world will have to discover some new form of an energy source other than the one it so easily relies on. The U.S. is making a mistake by thinking that finding more oil will solve or temporize the issue at hand. They need to stop wasting time, money and effort into finding more oil. It’s going to dissipate, no matter how many oilrigs are put on this Earth. Instead of saying where one can drill or not drill of off coasts, one should be fighting and searching for a solution to this dire matter.
© Copyright 2007 Leslie (lmt531 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1360032-Drilling-off-the-Coast