*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361450-Untitled-Chapter-One
Rated: E · Draft · Action/Adventure · #1361450
Chapter One and Two Of My Untitled Story, Chapter One Is Short, So Please Keep Reading!
Chapter One:

Luna glided gracefully among the clouds as she patrolled the territory around the mountains. The full moon shone on her deep violet scales, and the night was calm.
She scanned the horizon, looking for trouble, but all was peaceful. There was no trouble tonight, and she turned to go back to the mountain caves where the dragons lived.
As she turned, an unfamiliar scent caught her attention. An intruder. Immediately, she followed the scent. As she got closer, she recognized it. It was a scent every dragon knew, the scent of the Dark Dragon. A murderous dragon that was intent on killing everything and anything in his path to get what he wanted.
Luna stopped and hovered in the air. There was no time to go back and get help from the other dragons. She decided to go alone.
As she flew nearer, she realized the scent was coming from his territory. He was dangerously close to the border, though. Years ago he had been banished, and had never caused any trouble by passing the border, what did he want now?
A scream rose from the distance and Luna pumped her wings faster. The scream had come from the other side of the border, though not far. She decided to take the risk and cross over.
As she arrived on the scene she could tell she was too late. Two human bodies lay on the bloodstained ground, and the Dark Dragon was nowhere in sight, though his scent still lingered.
A thin wail floated on the breeze. It sounded like a baby. Luna carefully stepped over the humans to follow the sound. It was a baby, a baby boy. Luna gingerly picked it up, careful not to scratch the child with her claws.
Behind her, the female human moved slightly and opened her eyes. “My babies…” she muttered.
“It’s okay, I have him. He’s safe.” Luna assured the woman. She seemed to be in too much pain to be afraid of her.
“May I see him?” She asked. Luna held up the baby and watched as the woman reached up to stroke his face. “Seth…” she whispered, almost in a daze. Then she looked up at Luna. “Where is Chase?”
“Chase? There was only one child.”
The woman’s eyes clouded with grief, then her breathing stopped. Her hand slipped from her son’s face and her body became still. Luna sat motionless over the body, wondering what to do. Should she bury the bodies? No, what if the Dark Dragon came back? He would see the buried bodies and suspect something. Her best option was to take the child back to the valley with her.
Her wings quickly lifted her into the cool night air. At first the baby whined, but the rocking motion soon put him to sleep. Luna flew quickly, and it wasn’t long before she arrived.
She could already see the valley leader, Solstice, at the front of his cave talking to two other dragons. He looked up as she approached.
“Luna,” He growled, “I was getting worried. When you didn’t arrive by First Light I was beginning to think something had gone terribly wrong. I was about to send some dragons out to search for you.”
Luna looked to the sky. The sun was beginning to rise above to peaks of the mountains. “I’m sorry,” she whispered.
Solstice ruffled his crimson scales as he noticed the small bundle in Luna’s claws.
“What is that?” He growled.
“I found him in the mountains, his parents were dead. Killed by the Dark Dragon.” Luna explained calmly.
“It’s a human!” Solstice roared, pulling his head back. The baby woke up and began to cry. Solstice paid no attention.
“I couldn’t leave him to die!” Luna growled, raising her voice.
“I don’t care. You should have left him where he was. We have no room for a human among us.”
“But Solstice, he cannot be older than a few moons. I thought you said we didn’t harm humans.”
“Just because we don’t harm them doesn’t mean we have to like them!” Solstice snapped his fangs inches from Luna’s face. Luna didn’t even flinch.
“A few moons ago, you announced that the stars had spoken to you about an unexpected gift that would save us from the Dark Dragon. Perhaps this child is the gift they foretold?”
Solstice’s face softened as Luna’s words sunk in. “Alright, the human can stay.” He said roughly. Luna smiled.
“But Solstice, what use is a human to us dragons?” One of the dragons at Solstice’s side spoke up. Luna replied before Solstice even had a chance.
“In a few days there will be a solar eclipse. It is during that time I will give him the Gift of the Dragons.”
The two dragons gasped. Solstice only nodded.
“Do whatever you must,” he muttered. Then he turned and disappeared among the darkness of his cave.

Chapter Two
Fifteen Years Later

Seth soared gracefully over the peaks of the mountains, swirling and diving in the air held up by his wings. He enjoyed the rush of the air over his body and the feeling of freedom in the air. Up in the sky he was alone and free to think to himself, away from the distractions of the valley.
“Seth!”
Well…almost alone.
“What?” He growled. He looked back to see his friend Celeste glide up to him.
“Solstice was looking for you, and he didn’t sound happy.” She reported. Seth sighed. His freedom was gone now that Celeste arrived.
“I’ll be right there.” He replied. Celeste gave him a quick nod before turning around and flying back to the valley the way she came. It was several moments longer until Seth turned around and followed.
Up ahead he could see the sunlight reflecting off of Celeste’s rose scales. It was a bright day. There were no clouds in the sky and the wind was calm. Perfect weather for flying.
Solstice was waiting for him at the valley. He seemed impatient, and angry.
“Seth!” Solstice growled when he spotted him. Seth braced himself. There was a familiar tone in Solstice’s voice that told him he was going to get in trouble. Solstice didn’t give Seth time to land before her started shouting commands.
“Where is the prey?” He ordered.
“What prey?” Seth asked, hovering above the ground. He gently lowered himself so his feet were touching the ground, yet his wings were unfurled in case Solstice lashed out again.
“You were out hunting, weren’t you?” Solstice asked.
Seth gasped. He had forgotten to hunt while out flying. He should’ve known better, Solstice was always looking for an excuse to punish him.
“I’m sorry,” Seth said. Solstice growled and bared his teeth, reminding Seth that he was ruler of the valley and had the power to banish him if he wanted to.
“It better not happen again.”
“It won’t.” Seth replied, and he meant it.
“Right now I need you and Celeste to go and patrol borders. The Dark Dragon was scented nearby earlier today and I want you to go and check it out.”
“But I just got back!”
“You will do as I say!” Solstice roared, spreading his wings and taking a forceful step forward. Seth backed up. He could feel the heat of fire coming from within Solstice’s chest.
“Yes, Solstice.” He murmured, and then he spread his wings to find Celeste.
Finding Celeste in the small valley wasn’t hard and soon they were both together patrolling the border. It was slow and quiet work because Seth didn’t feel like talking. Celeste, who usually talked the most, sensed this and remained quiet.
They arrived at the place where the Dark Dragon’s territory began and spread out. The scent was stale, but Seth took extra precaution. He wished he didn’t have Celeste with him. Not only was she annoying, but she was a terrible flyer. The Dark Dragon would certainly hear them before he saw or scented them.
Seth was glad when it was time to turn back and return to the valley. Solstice didn’t seem to have another excuse to send Seth back out again so Seth had some time to himself before Luna arrived back from hunting.
He retreated to the cave Luna shared with him and settled in his cavern. It felt good to rest his wings after a day of flying. Outside the sun was already setting and he could feel the chill of the cool night air creeping into the cave.
Seth replayed the day’s events in his head like he always did every night. He had lost count of how many times he wondered why Solstice hated him so much. Seth knew he was…different than the other dragons. But was that any reason to punish him, because he was different?
He heard the rush of wind as Luna entered the cave and went to meet her. She seemed tired after a day of hunting.
“I heard you got in trouble from Solstice today.” She said, slightly annoyed.
“Yes, and I don’t understand why. I only went off on my own for a little while, but what dragon doesn’t?”
“I know, but Solstice was right when he told you to bring back some prey next time. You know winter is coming, we need to gather as much food as possible right now.”
“So you’re taking his side?” Seth asked angrily.
“Not exactly, just remember to bring back some prey next time and maybe he won’t get so angry. He’s under a lot of stress right now with the Dark Dragon rising.”
Maybe…That was the word that bothered Seth. Maybe he won’t get so angry, How about he won’t get angry at all for once? Then without thinking, Seth asked:
“Why doesn’t Solstice like me?” Luna froze in shock at his words.
“I don’t know.” She lied, looking away. Seth caught the lie immediately.
“Luna, don’t lie to me. I’ve seen the way he looks at me behind my back. It’s not just him either. Other dragons look at me like I’m a freak too. I’ve always been different from the others; I’ve never fit in. I walk on two legs, don’t have scales, can’t breath fire and have fur on top of my head! What kind of dragon am I?”
Seth was nearly yelling by the time he finished speaking. It felt good to tell Luna what he was thinking, but he still wished he had kept it to himself.
Luna paused, closed her eyes and sighed deeply.
“I was hoping this day wouldn’t come, but I suppose you can’t hide forever. I suppose its time for you to know the truth.”
“What do you mean?” Seth asked, lowering his voice and relaxing. His anger was being replaced by curiosity. What truth? What did he not know about himself?
“Sit, and I will tell you everything.” She said, motioning with her tail at a boulder. Seth did as he was told and sat on the boulder. He waited as Luna stood motionless with her eyes closed once more, obviously choosing her words. Then she opened her eyes and began speaking, “It all began fifteen years ago…
“I was doing a border patrol when I caught the scent of the Dark Dragon. Then I heard a scream and knew something was wrong. It was coming from the other side of the border, but I rushed in to help anyway.
“The Dark Dragon was nowhere in sight by the time I arrived, but on the ground were two human bodies. I heard crying and soon found a human baby, the only survivor. The woman managed to stay alive long enough to see her child for the last time.
“I then took the child to the valley and persuaded Solstice to let me keep it and raise it.”
“But what does this have to do with me?” Seth asked. Luna silenced him with a flick of her tail.
“Seth, that child was you.”
Seth nearly fell off the boulder in shock. Him, a human? But he can’t be, Solstice hated humans.
“I know it’s shocking, but you’re not like other humans.” Luna said calmly, noticing his surprise. Her expression had not changed since she began.
“How?” Seth growled angrily. He was speechless.
“Let me finish my story Seth.” Though her expression did not change, her voice became more commanding and Seth quieted. Luna continued.
“A few nights later, I took you to a nearby shrine to give you the Gift of the Dragon. Something rarely, if ever, done. The spell required more dragons, but I was the only one. I was lucky the spell worked, though not to its full advantage. You gained the skills of a dragon, but some gifts you did not receive. The scar on your left wrist is proof, if you do not believe me.”
Seth looked down at his left wrist, when a scar in the shape of a crescent moon was embedded into his skin. He had never given it much thought.
“So I’m neither a human nor a dragon?” He asked angrily, his fists clenched.
“No,” Luna replied, choosing her words carefully, “You are something far more greater.” She still remembered the prophecy of the unexpected gift that would save them from the wrath of the Dark Dragon. Seth wasn’t convinced.
“I don’t belong here or with the humans, so what’s the point of my existence?”
“Seth, please. Everything exists for a reason. Now do you understand why I did not want to tell you? I was afraid you would get too upset, and I was right.”
“How come now dragon ever told me?” Seth whispered, but it was as if he was asking himself, not Luna.
“After the transformation, I told every dragon to keep it a secret. I felt it was best you did not know until it was time.”
“So you put me through years of torture wondering what was wrong with me? Is that what you intended? Why didn’t you just leave me there to die? It would’ve been better than living the life I live now.” Seth couldn’t take anymore. He was angrier than he had ever been in his life. Without waiting for a reply, he spread his wings and left for his cavern.
Luna didn’t follow. He needed to be alone; she would go to him later.

Seth sat alone in the dim light of his cavern. He should have known he was something far different than a dragon. But a human? All this time he had never known what he truly was, and he had never seen a human to compare himself to. Maybe if he had, he would have figured it out years ago.
Seth brought his fist down on the cold stone floor. It brought nothing but more pain. Blood oozed out of the fresh cuts on his skin.
He walked out of the cavern. Luna was nowhere in sight. She’d probably gone off to her own cavern. He walked to the entrance of the cave, where the moonlight lit up the valley. He spread his wings, and without looking back, jumped into the night.

Luna walked slowly towards Seth’s cavern, pausing just before entering. “Seth…” She whispered gently. There was no answer so she assumed he was asleep. She took a few steps deeper into the cavern. There was no fresh scent and the cavern was empty. “Seth!” She yelled. He was gone.
Luna ran to the entrance of the cave. Maybe he shouldn’t have known the truth, maybe it was to soon.
She stopped at the mouth of the cave. His scent was stronger, and the soil had been turned up where he had taken off. She had to find him, but she needed help.
“Solstice!” She cried, rushing to the leader’s cave. “Solstice!”
The tired crimson dragon stepped out of his cave. “What is it?” He growled. “It’s late, you’d better have a good excuse for waking me up.”
“It’s Seth,” Luna said, bursting into tears.
“What about him?” Solstice said, not paying much attention. Luna quickly explained how she had told Seth the truth and that he was now missing.
“Well it’s time he knew the truth. You couldn’t hide it forever.” Solstice yawned.
“Will you help me look for him?” Luna begged. Solstice considered it for a moment.
“No.”
“No?” Luna growled.
“You heard me, no. Find him yourself. He is your son after all.” Solstice retreated into the darkness of his cave. Luna called his name a few more times, but the only reply was the rushing of the wind.
It was up to her to find him.

Seth flew. He didn’t care where he was going, he just flew. He had to get away, he had to be alone. He needed to think.
He finally stopped near a small pond, where he sat at the edge, watching his reflection stare back. He had never noticed how different he actually was.
Though he stood on two legs, he was only half the height of Luna, and stood upright. His pale skin was different than a dragon’s vibrant scales and he had no claws. He face was shaped differently than a dragons and on top was a mess of dark brown fur. On top of that, he wore clothes to protect him from the cold and couldn’t breath fire. The only thing separating him from being a human were his violet eyes and black wings.
A tear fell from his cheek and into the pond where it rippled the water and blurred his reflection. Behind him, he sensed another presence and turned around. Luna stood behind him.
“Seth,” she whispered. Seth rushed to her without another word. Tears streamed down his face as she tried her best to comfort him. When he had calmed, Luna spoke.
“Don’t ever do that again. I understand you are troubled by the truth, but think of how much you made me worry. I thought I had lost you.” Seth couldn’t answer.
They stood there for several moments longer until Luna broke the silence.
“Let’s go back to the valley.”
© Copyright 2007 ~*~K~*~ (kiteangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361450-Untitled-Chapter-One