*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361484-The-Tools-of-Philosophy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #1361484
An essay written for my Intro to Philosophy class this past spring.
The Tools of Philosophy

Barbara L. LeMaster
PL250
Jan. 20, 2007

All philosophical discussion begins with a question. What is freedom? What is justice? Definitions are not sought; these are readily available from any dictionary. Philosophy seeks to uncover a deeper understanding of the concept itself and how it functions in human life. In asking these questions, philosophers do not appeal to authority or religion. A philosophical argument is one that carries its own credentials with it: it asks only for rational assent, not faith or obedience.

One of the tools used is axiology, or the study of values. “What is goodness?” might be the opening question for a philosopher, and in attempting to answer this, we can derive ethical values. Another tool is epistemology: how we can know something is true. Philosophers and scientists alike use logic (the study of rational connections leading to a conclusion) and reflection as research tools. Unlike the scientist, however, the philosopher cannot perform empirical experiments to test the validity of a hypothesis. He will try to articulate and sharpen ordinary beliefs, attitudes, and assumptions and then, through the use of reason, try to see what those beliefs presuppose, how they might be logically connected, and what they would logically lead to.

Reason is an important tool in everyday life. Nobody is ever encouraged to be unreasonable or irrational in school. We can coordinate our irrational feelings and emotions using a rational ideal, and possibly prevent ourselves from making a wrong decision or believing something that is clearly untrue. We live in a “global village” connected by the Internet and rational thinking allows for humane, civilized differences of opinion between persons or groups of people communicating with one another.

What does it mean to be reasonable? Simply put, it means that a person would make decisions based on the best sources of evidence available, doing so in a frame of mind that is free from bias or prejudice.
© Copyright 2007 LadyBarbara (ladybarbara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361484-The-Tools-of-Philosophy