*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361486-Perseverance
Rated: E · Essay · Self Help · #1361486
A short essay on what 'perseverance' means to me.
The ancient Greeks told tales of a half-man, half-god who was assigned to perform twelve labors by his cousin. His Greek name was Heracles, and the Romans referred to him as Hercules. Each labor provided its own challenges and most were thought to be impossible but, according to mythology, they were all completed successfully. Today, we speak of having Herculean tasks to perform in our daily lives.

Nothing is impossible if one perseveres. Perseverance, like its synonym persistence, is defined as continually working toward a goal even under trying circumstances. It is seen in the eyes of a single mother who rises early to get her children ready for school as she prepares for a day at work. It is reflected in the form of an athlete who trains daily for an upcoming race. It is the attitude that says, “Never mind who is to blame. What is the best way to fix this problem?” It is written as a promise in the gospel of Matthew: “He that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved.” It is a quality that all successful people have cultivated, as noted by Andrew Carnegie: “Don’t be afraid to give your best to what are seemingly small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger.”

Physical strength, like that of Hercules, can be an asset in certain circumstances or in certain jobs. Perseverance starts with a belief or thought. Action is taken and occasionally distractions can weaken one’s resolve to achieve the desired goal. It is those who choose not to give up demonstrate perseverance, even when the results may not be clear. This quality is an asset for living in today’s world, no matter what our circumstances might be.
© Copyright 2007 LadyBarbara (ladybarbara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361486-Perseverance