*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361716-The-Life-Story-of-Prophet-Ibraheem
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #1361716
Why Muslims celebrate Eid-ul-Azha (feast of the Sacrifice)
The Life Story Of Hazrat Ibraheem (AS)

Once upon a time, almost 4000 years ago, a man named Azar lived in the ancient city of Ur in Iraq.He used to make idols out of wood and stone. He had decorated his house with these stone idols. Other people also bought idols from him. These people did not believe in one Allah. They had several gods whom they worshipped. They would garland them, place food and water in front of them and pray to them for blessings. These people had great knowledge of stars and other heavenly bodies and they worshipped these as well.

Azar had a little son. His name was Ibraheem. Azar loved his son very much and the two were always together. Ibraheem would watch as his father would carve idols and then pray in front of them. He was always struck by the fact that people had created these idols with their own hands and then knelt and bowed in front of them.

“How can these idols help others? They cannot move nor do anything else,” Ibraheem would think. “Why does my father pray to them? They can neither eat nor drink nor can they see.”

One day, he put these questions before his father. Azar was enraged. He told his son to remain quiet or he will be severely punished. Hazrat Ibraheem, though quite young, continued to ponder over these questions. He observed the sun, moon, stars etc and sought the truth. Allah chose him to make him His prophet.

Destruction of the Idols

When Hazrat Ibraheem told his people about Allah and asked them to worship one God only, the people of Iraq became his enemy. Hazrat Ibraheem thought of ways to convince these people that idol worshipping is wrong. One day he got this opportunity. There was a big fair out of town and everyone was going to attend it. When Azar told his son to come along, Hazrat Ibraheem refused to go. When everyone had left, he went to their place of worship. It was full of idols of all sizes. Hazrat Ibraheem took a big mallet and smashed the idols. He left the biggest one untouched and put the mallet in its lap. When the people returned from the fair, they were horrified to see their beloved idols broken and smashed. They interrogated Hazrat Ibraheem who told them to ask their biggest idol why they could not defend themselves. Everyone knew that their idols were lifeless and could not answer. They went away angry and frustrated.

The Angry King Namrod

The people of Iraq carried tales of Hazrat Ibraheem to their king Namrod. He was a very cruel person. He believed that he was more powerful than any other god. When Hazrat Ibraheem was produced in his court, Namrod asked him,

“Do you believe that I am your god?”

Hazrat Ibraheem was very brave. He answered, “There is no god but Allah and I worship only Him.”

Namrod was furious. He asked Hazrat Ibraheem to prove that Allah is greater than him. Hazrat Ibraheem told him that Allah has power over life and death. To prove that he too was master of life and death, Namrod had some prisoners killed and some pardoned and spared. Hazrat Ibraheem then told him calmly that Allah produces the sun from the East and sets it in the West. If Namrod is such a great, powerful man then he should produce the sun from the West. Namrud was speechless. He could not take Hazrat Ibraheem’s challenge so in anger he told the soldiers to burn Hazrat Ibraheem in a great fire. When they were about to throw Hazrat Ibraheem in this great burning pyre, Allah ordered the fire to cool and not hurt Hazrat Ibraheem. All the people were amazed to see him safe and unhurt. But even this great miracle did not make the people leave their wrong ways.

Migration and Marriage:

Hazrat Ibraheem was greatly saddened by the fact that people were not willing to leave idol worship. Even his own father Azar was against him. He decided to leave Iraq with his wife Sarah and nephew Hazrat Lut. On his way to Palestine and Syria, he passed Egypt. The king of Egypt gave his daughter Hajira in marriage to Hazrat Ibraheem. He was quite old now. He prayed to Allah for a son and Allah granted his prayer. Hazrat Ismail (Ishmael) was born but now Allah decided to test Hazrat Ibraheem’s faith and resolute.

The Story of Aab-Zam Zam :

One day, Allah ordered Hazrat Ibraheem to go to Makkah with his wife and infant son, Hazrat Ismail. He was ordered to leave them there. At that time, that place was a great desert, barren and unpopulated. When Hazrat Ismail was very thirsty, his mother Hazrat Hajira ran seven times between the hills of Al-Safa and Al-Marwa searching for water. She prayed to Allah for help. A spring of clear water gushed out beneath the little feet of Hazrat Ismail. It was a miracle as all around there was only sand and there was no source for this water. By the grace of Allah, this water continues to sprout even though millions of people visit Makkah each year and drink and use this water. Hazrat Hajira was very happy and thanked Allah for this blessing.

A few days later, a nomadic tribe passed through this area. In those days, nomads used to roam the land on camels and horses in search of water. They were amazed to see water in the desert. They asked permission from Hazrat Hajira to stay and use this water. This tribe stayed there and was joined by other tribes. Slowly the area became fertile and well populated. This was the foundation of Makkah where one day Hazrat Muhammad (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) will be born.

An Even Greater Trial:

Allah wanted to test Hazrat Ibraheem even more. In a dream, he was ordered to sacrifice Hazrat Ismail. When Hazrat Ibraheem asked his son’s opinion, Hazrat Ismail bravely told his father to do what Allah had required of him. On the way to the sacrifice, the devil tried to dissuade them. Father and son threw stones at him to drive him away. Like running between Al-Safa and Al-Marwa, throwing pebbles is also a part of the rituals for Hajj.

When Hazrat Ibraheem was about to sacrifice his son, Allah sent Angel Jibraeel (Gabriel) to replace Hazrat Ismail with a ram. Allah was pleased with them as they were both ready to give up everything …Hazrat Ibraheem his only son and Hazrat Ismail his life…. for the sake of Allah. Muslims all over the world celebrate Eid-ul-Azha to commemorate this sacrifice.

Building Of Holy Ka’bah:

Allah then ordered Hazrat Ibraheem to build the Holy Ka’bah in Makkah. Hazrat Ibraheem prayed to Allah to send another messenger after them who would guide the people to the right path. His prayers were granted as 2500 years later, the Prophet Muhammad was born. Allah also gave Hazrat Ibraheem another son, Hazrat Ishaq (Isaac) who was also a prophet. Hazrat Eesa (AS) (Jesus Christ) was a descendant of Hazrat Ishaq while Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) was a descendant of Hazrat Ismail.(AS).













© Copyright 2007 gtausif (gtausif at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361716-The-Life-Story-of-Prophet-Ibraheem