*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362004-Review-of-the-Silmarillion
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Keegan
Rated: 13+ · Review · Opinion · #1362004
My review of the Slimarillion using qoutes from all five parts of the Slimarillion.
The Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, and Numenor. You've probably heard of at least one of these three things created by J. R. R. Tolkien. But have you ever heard of the Silmarillion? In all probability you most likely have never heard of it, but Tolkien considered it his most important and central work. Though he never got around to completing it, his son- Christopher Tolkien- finished it and eventually published it posthumosly. There are five parts contained within the Silmarillion book: Ainulindale, Valaquenta, Quenta Silmarillion, Akallabeth, and Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age. I will individually review each of these parts using quotes from the book and also giving you information about the Middle-earth legendarium created by J. R. R. Tolkien.

The Ainulindale stands for: The Music of the Ainur. It is the creation tale of Middle-earth and is the hardest to understand. However, I found it beautiful and inspiring. Ainulindale tells how Eru Iluvatar (God), had the Ainur (his servants) create a grand Music for his pleasure. Little did the Ainur know, that Eru had a plan for the Music and the Ainur as well. But the Ainur performed only alone with Iluvatar or with a few other Ainur (pronounced: i-n-oo-r). Melkor was mightiest and most jealous of Eru. And Melkor sought the Flame Imperishable or Secret Fire which was possibly the original creation of Iluvatar and was found in the center of all. But although the Ainur performed not all together, they still increased in unison and harmony. After countless ages Eru called the Ainur together and they bowed to him and were silent. Eru then said the first known words:

"Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music. And since I have kindled you with the Flame Imperishable, ye shall show forth your powers in adorning this theme, each with his own thoughts and devices, if he will. But I will sit and hearken, and be glad that through you great beauty has been wakened into song."

Then the Ainur made a great Music with thier voices like unto harps and flutes and pipes, trumpets, viols, and organs, with countless choirs singing beautiful and blissful words. Thus, the grand theme was fashioned into the Music of Eru. The sound of it was said to have

". . . arose of endless interchanging melodies woven in harmony that passed beyond hearing into the depths and into the heights, and the places of the dwelling of Illuvatar were filled to overflowing, and the music and the echo of the music went out into the Void, and it was not void. . ."

It is also said that no music was made like it again, but that a greater Second Music of the Ainur and the Children of Iluvatar (Elves and Men) is to come after the end of days. Critics say that Ainulindale is hard to read because of its lack of detail; but I disagree. The passage above shows the detail in Ainulindale, but its possible that the critics speak of character detail. There I would agree, but it is no con- but a pro. All in all, I believe that Ainulindale is beautiful in all regards and is the overlooked Genisis of the Slimarillion.

The Valaquenta is a description of the Valar, Maiar, and the Enemies. It is not a narrative and so should not be read like one. In the beginning of the Valaquenta it tells how Eru created the Ainur (Valar and Maiar) as a product of his thought and a part of the Secret Fire (Flame Imperishable) is in them. The Vala Manwe and his spouse Varda are the most revered Valar. Varda is renowned among the Elves as Creator of Stars. Aule (pronounced: ow-l-e) is master of stones and gems and jewels. Orome is the master of the hunt, Ulmo is the Vala of water which Ulmo finds most fascinating of all substances. Nienna is the Vala of grief and weeps alone on the shores of the Belegaer. Yavanna is the Giver of Fruits and is spouse of Aule. Tulkas was the last Vala to descend into Ea (Universe) and Melkor fled before him bringing peace to Arda for a time. Tulkas is slow to anger but slow also to forgive. He also is the Vala of war and sport. Namo is Vala of the Dead. Namo is mostly referred to as Mandos, mainly because he lives in the Halls of Mandos, and his spouse Irmo is the Weaver of Time.


The Maiar are Lesser Ainur, and are servants to the Valar. Melian, Oloin (Gandalf), Sauron, Saruman, and Balrogs are all or believed to be of the Maiar race. Sauron is Captain of Angband and is the second in command to Melkor (A.K.A. Morgoth). Melian is the only Maia to have had a sexual relationship with an Elf whose name was Elu Thingol. Oloin which is better known as Gandalf was wisest of the Istari, or Wizards, and was reincarnated after his death dueling another presumed Maia, a Balrog. Balrogs are not proven to be of the Maiar and but only believed to be. Balrogs were created by Melkor in mockery of Eagles and other animals. Melkor is the mightiest Vala and was the first Dark Lord. Sauron was his chief servant. The Valaquenta is not the worst or best piece of Tolkien's writings, or of the Silmarillion.

Now we come to the Quenta Silmarillion the History of the Silmarils. It is an account of the First Age of Arda (Earth) and how three jewels called the Silmarils shaped its outcome. In the Beginning of Arda, the Valar created the Lamps of the Valar, they were named Ormal and Illuin. The Lamps lit the flat Arda, at the north and south of it, and were the light from the Lamps mingled was the place Almaren. It was the home of the Valar and the Maiar.
© Copyright 2007 Keegan (gankee-con at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362004-Review-of-the-Silmarillion