*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1363255-Controversial-Music
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Educational · #1363255
This is a brief essay I wrote for my COM120 class in college.
                                       Controversial Music    2

Controversial Music, and how it Effects Today’s Youth.

    While children hang on to every word of their favorite songs, the music is not to blame for the behavior of our youth. How often do parents take the time to educate their children on the media’s tactics for advertising musicians and their music? Do you talk with your own children about why certain musicians use the language they do, or why they sing about the things they do? I feel that there have always been influences in our children’s lives that should be properly addressed. You cannot
shield each child from all of the influences in the world today. Everyone has freedom of speech, and I believe it is up to us to let our children know what expression is all about.

    In 1954, a young man by the name of Elvis Presley began his music career. People around the world, even today, love to hear him sing, watch his movies, and enlist in his fan clubs, worldwide. If you look deeper into the background of this musical icon, you find an idol that some parents today would find unworthy of their, or their children’s, attention.  In A Biography, Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc. (2007), it is stated that “October 15 – November 1, 1973, Elvis is hospitalized in Memphis for recurring pneumonia and pleurisy, an enlarged colon, and hepatitis…an increasing dependency upon prescription drugs.”  (p. 4)

    The events that led to Presley’s death in 1977 seemed vague and unmentionable in that time era. People seemed as if it wasn’t acceptable to speak to their children about what might have been his cause of death. He was the King.
Elvis was just that, a king amongst all musicians. He made wonderful music and left the world with an abundance of movies and songs. Whatever it was that led to his death did not stop people from loving his movies, his music, or him.

    If an artist sings a song with profanity and hatred in their lyrics, does that necessarily condemn them as a bad person? Isn’t it our job, as parents, to teach our children that people say and do strange and unappealing things sometimes, and that doesn’t mean we have to clone that behavior upon ourselves. We teach our children to respect and love one another. We teach them to abide by the human laws and our religious laws, and not to behave in a manor that is disrespectful of others. We also teach them that there are people out there that choose to express themselves in ways that may not seem acceptable. Each individual is their own person, and that person has freedom of speech and freedom to do as they wish, as long as they abide by the laws of the government.

    David Trimble, also known as Lord Trimble, in a recent interview, spoke about the controversy of Elvis Presley’s music and how shocked he was at some of the movies Elvis made, and that it was more or less Rebellion as a teen that stirred a lot of his interest in Presley (McNeilly, 2007). Is it any different now? I believe
that teens do get caught up in a rebellious phase. Many parents believe that musicians such as Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, The Beastie Boys, Young Joc, and many others, target the younger generation with their lyrics and Stage performances. For instance, Marilyn Manson has been a teen idol, as well as a parent’s worst nightmare. For over a decade he has sang of killing, sex, drugs, and many other unsuitable topics. Any parent would be outraged to find a CD, featuring Manson on the cover, lying on the floor in their 14 year old daughter’s room. Especially if that parent has stressed to that child that this is inappropriate material for them.

    Manson was a target for the media directly after the Columbine shootings. He had been scheduled to play a concert in Denver shortly after the incident. Manson withdrew himself from the media and refused any interviews whatsoever. Manson cancelled the remainder of his tour and stepped out of the spotlight for a good many months. When asked why he did this and if he was scared that he would be asked about his influences on the shooters, he seemed morose. His answers were heart-felt and sincere. He let everyone know that the more you publicize a certain
event, the more people feed off of it. He announced that his withdrawing himself from the public was his way of showing his remorse for those lives lost in the Columbine incident. He appeared in the 2002 film by Michael Moore, Bowling for Columbine, where he explained himself and his actions towards the media. He stated that he would be the natural focus for the media in an event like this because America has labeled him the “poster-boy for fear” (Manson, Bowling for Columbine, 2002).

    In the history of the world, it has never been harder for parents to protect their children from what is given to us by the media than it is now. With sex, drugs, guns, and violence being promoted with every change of the channel, parents have the right to be angry and offended. America is given so many freedoms. Why should
we abuse what we are given?



  My husband and I have weekly conversations, unplanned, but very timely, about news, media, and how our children are being effected. Certain things we agree on, and others we do not. A good point that gets brought up a lot is that of conformity amongst society. You hear frequently of million dollar executives who live the high life and suddenly are convicted of murder, or rape, or embezzlement. Do these people listen to Manson, Insane Clown Posse, or Ludacris? Who knows? How do you put your finger on what it is that makes people do what they do? You have psychiatrists and shrinks and doctors who cannot figure out the motives for some of society’s actions. Just because people conform to a specific way of living does not mean that they are good people with morals.

    Everything in the world that dictates who we become, and how we live, and which toothpaste we buy, should not dictate how we raise our children. Love your children and talk with them frequently. Warn them of the dangers in the world and let them know what to expect when they venture out into it. Do not blame the actions of others, or their own actions on the media, musicians, video games or television. Let them know that every action has a reaction and a consequence. Too many people today lay the blame for their own actions on outside sources. Teach your kids to take responsibility for what they do and say, and if they are having a hard time comprehending the meaning of lyrics in a song, or a musicians behavior on stage, tell them to come to you and ask. Ignorance is our greatest enemy. Society has a wealth of knowledge at its fingertips, use it and grow with it.
© Copyright 2007 Anne Cox (annecox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1363255-Controversial-Music