*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364430-WE-DONT-NEED-STINKIN-BACKGROUND-CHECKS
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Political · #1364430
Does the State you live require background checks for its candidates & politicians?
.....Speaking out loud, and to myself in (parentheses).....

Look at this story in the newspaper! "......Apparently, it is not required for politicians to have a background check to hold an elected Ohio State Representative job......."

What about that job I applied for at a box company? On the job application, I remember what they wanted me to sign! "I understand that inquiry may include but not limited to: conviction, motor vehicle, credit check, references, copies of personnel files, information of character, reputation, personal characteristics, mode of living".....

(Is that all? All this checking is needed for putting together boxes? What are the boxes made of? Uranium?)

"....In the Ohio Senate, a proposal by State Sen. John Boccieri (D-New Middletown) proposed to add background checks on legislators and candidates. A bill that that would impose checks similar to laws for about four dozen types of licensed professionals....." State Sen. Jeff Jacobsen (R-Dayton) and other Republicans were yelling and screaming, objecting to the amendment before Boccieri even finished offering it....." (Why didn't I see this on the 6 o'clock news? I am reading about it in the Cleveland Plain Dealer buried on a forum page.)

I remember when Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson had a convicted criminal in his cabinet. Jackson discovered that his Chief of Economic development, Michael Montgomery had a criminal conviction of soliciting prostitution that the Company doing the back ground check missed! (And what a surprise, Montgomery didn't disclose it.) Jackson and those in his administration felt, "let's let that go". After public pressure, Montgomery was dismissed. (For economic development, did Montgomery propose a chain of Happy Hooker Hotels?")

You'd think with a conviction, Jackson would have fired Montgomery on the spot. (Instead, he's says publicly that a convicted man can be in my cabinet and it is no big deal!)

In Ohio, or in any other State, how can somebody get elected, voting on budgets and passing laws, and us not know who we are electing? They do serve in the public TRUST. (Whatever "TRUST" is nowadays. You'd think that during the campaigns of these people that somebody would have found out something. Do they all cover up the REALLY BIG STUFF, so a background check law could never even be thought about?)

We really don't know what any of these people did before they got elected. (Is there any candidate during these campaigns that did anything in kindergarten we should know about? I wanna KNOW NOW if there was someone chewing gum in class, stealing crayons, kissing in the cloak room, or cheating at musical chairs.)

A law should be passed to have politicians and candidates background checked, just like me. (Oh, that's a dumb of me. They will never pass a law like that. If they did, they'll pick the Company that did them for Cleveland, and they won't find anything anyway. Before a law like that happens, the Jerry Springer show will win an Emmy.)

Maybe Springer will run for Governor of Ohio one day, he has residence here----and what if he would win! (Wouldn't be a bad idea. He might have the best background check of all of em.)
© Copyright 2007 ITZRUSS (itzruss at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364430-WE-DONT-NEED-STINKIN-BACKGROUND-CHECKS