*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1365266-Genghis-Khan-Bloody-Equality
Rated: E · Article · Biographical · #1365266
a much easier to understand synopsis of Genghis Khan, the World Conqueror's life
Genghis Khan: Mass Murder, Slaughter and…. Equality?
         In history, a few people have often caused the greatest changes.  Inventions create new ways to preserve life; diplomatic leaders forge alliances that last throughout the ages and war commanders swarm across endless expanses, shaping dynasties that are respected and feared across the earth.  Often the most substantial changes are perpetuated by the last of these.  War is also the means that many countries have used to grow wealthy.  In the late eleventh and early twelfth century one of these changes were taking place.  The unforgiving steppes of Mongolia are, perhaps, the least likely of areas for such a change to take place.  The grasslands were inhabited by tribal people who had not even begun to close the technological gap between themselves and the rest of Asia.  Constant infighting shrunk their numbers and left their armies depleted, the harsh weather stole more.  Yet it is from here that a military general of unequalled skill emerged.  Over time, his original name has been thought to be many: Temujin, Temuchijin, Temuchji or Temuchin; but his new name, a name he assumed in 1206, is known to every ear, and brings with it a whisper of power and of greatness, the whisper of a man who united the tribes of Mongolia and conquered from China to Samarkand in a short seventeen years: Genghis Khan, the World Conqueror. (Paul Ratchnevsky, Genghis Khan, His Life and Legacy 245)
         Many people are quick to condemn the World Conqueror as immoral, unjust, violent and anti-Christian.  These people are wrong.  Though war was Genghis Khan’s means of advancement, that did not make him a murderer.  The vast majority of educated people who have studied Genghis Khan call him one of the most moral people in history, loving of bravery and accepting of all people, language and skin.  Those who feel he was anti-Christian do not realize that he was very open to Christianity, and even implored the Vatican to send missionaries to teach his people the faith.  Clearly, there is more to this World Conqueror than most think, and the justification for the belief that he is no a monster, but a principled, heroic figure is evidenced from his birth onwards. (Ratchnevsky 212)
         The actual birth date of the great hero is unknown, but popular estimates place it around 1165 CE, and in considering his death in the year 1227, that would have made him 62 when he died, a considerable age for one who lived in the twelfth century, not to mention one who was almost constantly at war.  Still more impressive than his age are the accomplishments he made in those years.  Temuchin, as his name is widely accepted as, managed to unite all the tribes of Mongolia, even though his own tribe was no more, kill those who opposed his rule, and forge the largest empire ever seen, even greater than that of Alexander the Great and create a society that was governed by laws that allowed equal rights of all people, irregardless of birth, race or language.  It allowed anyone, even captured people from enemy tribes to rise in rank, based upon skill rather than heritage.  In fact, two of Genghis Khan’s greatest generals, Jebe and Subodei, were from enemy tribes.  The Mongolian Empire eventually grew from the coast of China, all the way to Persia, all the way up to the midpoint of Russia, and all the way to a mere seventeen miles from Vienna before collapsing slowly in the fourteenth century.  It would have expanded into Japan as well, but for the hesitation of Genghis Khan’s grandson Khubilai.  In order to fully understand Genghis Khan’s accomplishments, and the magnitude of their greatness, one must first recognize the state his people lived in at the time. (Ratchnevsky 212, 12-24; R.G Grant, Battle 90-91)
         Mongolia was, then, not even known as Mongolia, but rather as an independent land clustered with so many tribes that none had true dominance, and the land was therefore almost exclusively nameless.  Some westerners have labelled Mongolia a Seljuk territory before the World Conqueror’s birth.  Each tribe, ranging from 100 to 30,000 people, was independent and often warring with other tribes for supplies and simple dominance.  The steppes of present-day Mongolia are still very harsh, with deep-cutting wind, and fluctuating temperatures and weather.  The land rarely produced enough food, and even in conquests, this hindered Genghis Khan.  Many Mongolians died from the weather, and from hunger and sickness.  Some people have concluded that Genghis’s need for conquest was a need to avenge the unfair conditions his people were forced to endure, while most civilizations in the west had the technology to elevate his people from the dirt.  This would explain why he later invaded China, a land rich with technology and wealth.  Could his violence have more reason than most perceive?  Of course, and that is obvious from his childhood, disparaged as it was by cruel fate. (Ratchnevsky 242- 253)
         Genghis Khan, or Temuchin as he was known, had a rather convoluted and frightening childhood.  It is hard to say who his parents were exactly, but it is believed that his father was the well-known Yisugei, a very revered warrior in the Borjigid tribe; his mother, Ho’elun, is much more well-known, as she is commented upon many times in such books as The Secret Histories, a book about the Mongolian rise to power, a biography of Genghis Khan.  Temuchin’s first years of life on the steppes were as harsh as the land itself.  When he was only eight years old, his father was killed in a raid, reportedly by Tayichi’ut tribesman.  Four yeas later, Temuchin beheld another tragedy, the murder of his brother.  Temuchin’s older brother had often bullied him.  One day his older brother, Bekhter, refused to share the spoils of the hunt with Temuchin and his half-brother Belgutei, as was customary.  Bekhter was murdered for his selfishness. (Ratchnevsky 27-35; Michel Hoang, Genghis Khan 4-12)
But not all of his young life was ringed with tragedy and misfortune.  When he was a young boy Temuchin became very good friends with a boy named Jamuka, a name that would have almost cinematic implications in the future.  They were very close, and often practised archery together.  When Temuchin was eleven, he and Jamuka became Andas, blood brothers, which is still one of the most sacred ceremonies in Mongol tradition.  But even this friendship could not prevent one of the greatest tragedies in Temuchin’s young life: capture by the Tayichi’ut. (Ratchnevsky 26, 35-40; Hoang 22-26)
         At this time, the Tayichi’ut were one of the most prominent tribes in Mongolia, and when they raided Temuchin’s camp, fear was widespread.  But the Tayichi’ut did not want to destroy the camp; they reportedly killed just a few men, found Temuchin, and rode off with him.  Temuchin was in Tayichi’ut captivity for nearly a year, wherein conflicting reports have been given.  Some have said that Temuchin was forced to endure countless tortures and slave labour; others have said the Tayichi’ut were very accommodating and actually wanted Temuchin to join their tribe, knowing what a good warrior he had become.  Common estimates place this time in Temuchin’s life around the age of fourteen.  Irregardless, it is known that Temuchin escaped and returned to his tribe, after approximately a year of captivity, swearing eternal vengeance on the Tayichi’ut, a vow that would be made many times again. (Ratchnevsky 35-40)
         After this episode, Temuchin had reached the age the Mongolians saw as the age of majority: fifteen.  He took a wife, Borte, and set off on his own.  His own tribe had collapsed and dispersed with the Tayichi’ut, who still sought him as an enemy.  Realizing he was a marked man, he searched for protection from a very unlikely source.  The Kerait Empire had almost begun to collapse at this point, with the legendary Toghrul still at its head.  Toghrul had ensured the collapse of his empire with paranoia; he rarely trusted anyone and felt as through most of his own people were out to unseat him.  His nation, which was known even in Europe, was destroying itself from within.  Thus being the case, when Temuchin presented himself to the leader, with his friends Bo’orchu, Kasar, his half-brother Belgutei, and, of course, Jamuka, with an offer of eternal servitude, the leader was at first sceptical, then excited.  Yisugei had been a friend of Toghrul and here was his boy, ready to fully become part of the Kerait Empire.  Toghrul was ecstatic; however, his father-son relationship with Temuchin was not shared by Jamuka, whom he saw rather as a brother, an independent man with his own tribe.  His alliance was not set in stone. (Ratchnevsky 44-57)
         Soon after, Temuchin’s fame began to increase on the steppe and another tribe realized it as a perfect time to settle a score, the Merkits.  Temuchin’s mother had been a Merkit, and was abducted by Temuchin’s father; in retribution, they abducted Temuchin’s wife, Borte and rode off with her.  Temuchin was furious and implored Toghrul to attack the Merkits with him.  Jamuka, and his tribe, the Jadarat, also pledged alliance to the campaign and sent 20,000 men to the aid of Toghrul’s 20,000.  The campaign of the Merkits was successful and they were scattered and Temuchin’s wife was returned, another line in the growing alliance between Toghrul and Temuchin.  But this alliance came with a heavy price.  At that point, Temuchin may have been around 17 or 18 and it was then that he and Jamuka spent a year together in peace and harmony; they exchanged gifts and renewed their blood promises.  When their respective people returned to their patron tribes, Jamuka’s to the Jadarat, and Temuchin’s to the Kerait, Jamuka and Temuchin stayed behind.  It is believed that Jamuka then asked Temuchin to become his follower, a member of no power in the Jadarat tribe.  Temuchin disagreed and left their joint camp with a new passion and ambition for dominance.  The split between Jamuka and Temuchin was a major turning point in his life. (Ratchnevsky 59-63)
         It was then that Temuchin began to accumulate followers.  One story says that when passing a weak tribe, the tribe Jeuret, who were short on food, Temuchin ordered his men to herd many animals towards the people, who thanked him and proclaimed him the most generous leader.  He offered a treaty with this tribe who were a vassal tribe of the Tayichi’ut, while many of the Princes of this tribe refused, two left and joined Temuchin.  Many other tribes began to seek the protection of Temuchin and Toghrul, and three tribes, the Jalair, Suldu and the Baya’ut broke with Jamuka and pledged themselves to Temuchin.  Soon stories began to spread that Temuchin was decreed by heaven to lead all the people of Mongolia.  Temuchin was careful to allow this to spread and more tribes joined him.  Offers of such generosity were not common amongst the Mongolian leaders, who often ruled with an iron fist of fear, clearly, Temuchin was already beginning to show his kind and moral nature. (Ratchnevsky 63-64)
         The two ambitions on the steppe, Temuchin and Jamuka, were cause for battle.  Soon, almost all the tribes had definitive alliances to one or the other.  It was then that Temuchin was elected Khan (leader) of his tribe, though his name remained Temuchin.  Immediately he began the foundation of the incredible organizational structure that he would finalize after the total subjugation of Mongolia.  He separated all his people into clearly defined groups, choosing leaders not upon birth, but on ability.  He seemed ready for war.  Jamuka made his displeasure at Temuchin’s election very clear, and was very angry that he had not been elected before their split. (Ratchnevsky 65-68)
         The clash between the two blood brothers was inevitable but it was Jamuka who provoked actual hostilities after Temuchin’s son killed a horse thief.  Jamuka formed a coalition against Temuchin and defeated him at Dalan Balzhut.  Temuchin retreated and Jamuka refused to pursue him, and instead turned back and brutally murdered the royal captives they had gained.  Many of Jamuka’s allies found his brutality to the royals disgusting.  Brutality that included decapitating two and tying their heads to his horse’s tail and boiling alive seventy others.  Several of Jamuka’s allies deserted him and joined Temuchin.  It is at this point when nearly all historical evidence of Temuchin’s life disappears for ten years, it is also the time when Toghrul was banished. (Ratchnevsky 69-72)
Toghrul possessed most of Mongolia and enjoyed the friendship of the Chin emperor, but he was not protected from fratricide.  His uncle attacked and drove him from Mongolia.  He took refuge in much the same area as Temuchin had after his defeat.  He remained there for nearly a year, and then returned to Temuchin, but only after Temuchin had remerged as a dominant force in Mongolia. (Ratchnevsky 72)
Thus comes two new, but equally important tribes into the tale of the World Conqueror: the Onggirat and the Tartars.  The two had allied and attempted to attack a Chinese settlement, the Chinese won, but suffered severe losses.  When Temuchin heard of the Tartar and Onggirat losses, he immediately mobilized a force against their weakened ranks. He killed the prince of the Tartars and received special honours from the Chinese.  It was almost at the same time as this when Toghrul was named Wang-Khan for his services in defence of the Chinese who had housed him during his banishment.  This title served to help reinstate Wang-Khan, as he shall henceforth be referred to, to the Kerait throne. (Ratchnevsky 72-75)
This restoration of power occurred around the year 1197, making Temuchin approximately 32 years old.  It was at this age when the definitive conquest of the steppes began.  Temuchin and Wang-Khan began their conquest with a tribe who had betrayed them against Jamuka: the Jurkin.  He was victorious against the tribe and showed the leaders no mercy, executing them all, but allowing all the common men to join with him as members, rather than servants.  After this conquest, Jamuka was named Gurkhan (leader of all tribes). (Ratchnevsky 75-76)
Wang-Khan was now almost again in full control of the Keraits.  Temuchin lead two successful campaigns against Jagambu and then Tonkait, two leaders of vassal tribes of the Keraits.  Temuchin presented all the spoils to Wang-Khan and took nothing himself.  In 1198 Wang-Khan lead a bloody campaign against the Merkits and killed their prince.  Temuchin was furious that Wang-Khan had acted without his influence, but suppressed his rage for the coming war against the Kerait’s greatest enemies: the Naimans. (Ratchnevsky 76-78)
It was reported that on the eve of a massive battle against the Naimans, Jamuka infiltrated the Kerait camp and convinced Wang-Khan to flee, leaving Temuchin alone.  In the morning, when Temuchin realized he was alone, he too retreated.  The Naimans, however, attacked Wang-Khan, who found himself sorely pressed, he sent a request for aid to Temuchin, and, despite the fact that the Keraits had just deserted him, Temuchin sent four of his best commanders, including his half-brother Belgutei to Wang-Khan’s aid.  After this saving, Wang-Khan and Temuchin continued their campaign and attacked and defeated the Tayichi’ut, and killed two of their princes. (Ratchnevsky 79)
By now, it was obvious to all the tribes that they would either submit to Temuchin and Wang-Khan or be destroyed.  Jamuka, as Gurkhan, formed an alliance of six of the most powerful tribes in opposition to Temuchin: the Katagin, Seljiut, Dorbet, Tartar, Onggirat, and Jadarat tribes.  The coalition took the field against both leaders in the area near the Onon River, where, after a bitter five-day battle, Temuchin and Wang-Khan were defeated.  The two retreated to the edges of China to regroup. (Ratchnevsky 79-83)
Perhaps the battle that restored Temuchin was when the Tayichi’ut, the Merkits, Oirats and Naimans banded together to destroy the two leaders once and for all.  They met near the Khalkha River, where Temuchin and Wang-Khan’s forces made a desperate last stand, vastly outnumbered.  However, late in the battle, the weather began to storm, and fearing that heaven was angered by their attack, the four tribes fled the field.  In an action that sealed his fate, Jamuka, who had accompanied the four enemy tribes, stole horses from them, ending his term as leader once and for all.  Wang-Khan pursued the Tayichi’ut and Jamuka and in a catastrophic battle east of the Onon utterly destroyed the formerly powerful Tayichi’ut.  As Temuchin pursued his enemies his horse was killed by an arrow, when he asked his prisoners who had done this, a serf of the Tayichi’ut leader stepped forward and admitted responsibility.  Temuchin, a man who valued honour and bravery above all else, spared the man his life and made him a general in his army, and soon he became one of his most successful.  Temuchin renamed the man Jebe, which means arrow. (Ratchnevsky 83-84)
Soon after this pivotal victory, Temuchin grew to a new level of ambition and sought to take control of all of Mongolia.  He knew he could not do this with undisciplined forces.  He ordered all booty to go directly to him, and he would distribute it as he saw fit, he made new laws and formed his army into even more organized groups.  Then he attacked the mutinous Tartars and exterminated the entire tribe. (Ratchnevsky 85-87)
All of this had taken place by the year 1202 and in that year, the worst possible thing happened to Temuchin: his alliance with Wang-Khan was lost.  When Temuchin offered his daughter in marriage to Senggum, the son of Wang-Khan, the impertinent Senggum refused the offer and Jamuka convinced the Kerait prince to attack Temuchin.  Wang-Khan, unable to control his son, watched as Temuchin was defeated and driven into China.  Temuchin was pursued and almost totally destroyed, but for the intervention of Mongolian tribes.  Popular estimates say that Temuchin’s approximately 20,000-man force was taken down to a piteous 2600.  In order to save himself, Temuchin spent a long while in China regrouping.  He sent a messenger to the Onggirat pledging alliance and they joined him.  He sent troops to all the tribes who were not openly hostile to him and pledged alliance to them.  His diplomatic action brought him significant reinforcements; he then attempted to split his enemies. (Ratchnevsky 88-99)
He told Wang-Khan that he would only remain as leader if he joined with him.  He reminded Wang-Khan of his duty to Temuchin because of Temuchin’s father.  He reminded Wang-Khan of his efforts to save him, his four warriors and his subjugation of the tribes.  He sent messages to Jamuka reproaching him for his separation and his actions.  Wang-Khan and Temuchin knew this war would likely be decided in a single battle.  Wang-Khan likely would have won, had his troops morale not been shaken as greatly as it had by Temuchin’s messages. (Ratchnevsky 99)
Several of Wang-Khan’s followers immediately deserted the war, and others joined Temuchin.  Temuchin staged a deception in which he sent a messenger to Wang-Khan and told him he would still accept an alliance.  Wang-Khan was pleased by this and was thus unprepared when Temuchin and his approximately 40,000 horsemen attacked Wang-Khan’s vastly numerically superior army in the mountains of Checher.  The Keraits army numbered somewhere in the area of 120,000 and, though taken by surprise, put up a fierce resistance.  But they had their back to a cliff and after tree days of fighting, finally surrendered.  Both Wang-Khan and Senggum were slain.  Around half of the Kerait army was left and still outnumbered Temuchin’s forces at least 2-1, and Temuchin saw fit to assimilate all of them.  He became the ruler of the fallen Kerait Empire.  The Naimans were now the only remaining unassimilated Mongolian tribe. (Ratchnevsky 100-102)
Jamuka was involved with these people and openly expressed fear that his Anda would seek retribution against him.  He was not far from the mark.  In preparation for the upcoming war, Temuchin finalized the organization of an army that was perhaps the most disciplined in the history of the world.  The army was split into Ten Thousands (Hoard), Thousands (Regiment), Hundreds (Squadron), and Tens (Troop).  Each unit had a commander giving each Hundred a supreme commander and ten undercommanders and each Thousand ten Hundreds commanders, and a hundred Tens commanders, and one who controlled the entire Regiment etcetera.  They then rode to battle.  The Naimans were enticed out of fortifications by the technique known as dogfight.  Temuchin attacked with a small force and then retreated, drawing the Naimans out, and then the rest of Temuchin’s force emerged from hiding and encircled the Naimans.  The Naimans would not surrender and the battle was a bloody one, but in the end the Naimans were destroyed and their allies, the Merkit fled, to be destroyed over the next year.  Jamuka was nowhere to be found. (Ratchnevsky 103-108)
Jamuka had fled in fear of his Anda and his former allies joined Temuchin, but their story together was not over.  Jamuka’s companions realized that they had no hope and took Jamuka prisoner, then turned him over to Temuchin, hoping for rewards.  Temuchin had them killed for their show of cowardice in betraying their leader.  Jamuka was brought before Temuchin, and he debated long and hard on whether or not to kill him.  He reproached his Anda for his actions against him and declared that their blood brotherhood had been broken.  However, Jamuka asked Temuchin one thing, that when he killed him that he be killed without shedding his blood, and then that Temuchin place his body in a high place so that he could watch over him.  According to the Secret History, Temuchin granted him this one last wish and hung him from the Tannu Mountains. (Ratchnevsky 108-109)
Temuchin now was the ruler of all the people across Mongolia.
In 1206 a Khuriltai was held.  A Khuriltai was a meeting and in this meeting Temuchin received the greatest honour of his long life, his new name: Genghis Khan.  Genghis Khan has been interpreted different ways, but most feel it means World Conqueror, Great leader, or Heaven-born leader.  He bestowed his followers, especially Jebe, with great honours and wealth.  He wrote the laws of his new nation that prevented robbery and murder as well as rape, and adultery.  He dispersed all the former leaders away from each other, so they would have less chance to revolt and fewer allies to do it with.  Then Genghis Khan planned further greatness. (110 –121)
There were then thee years of relative peace in which Genghis Khan crushed uprisings and solidified his rule.  Common estimates place the entire Mongolian army in the area of 160,000, nowhere near the vast hoards that so many of their conquered enemies claimed they had.  They exercised perfect formations and even more perfect tactics.  They had everything they needed to attack a much more powerful enemy.  Like China. (Ratchnevsky 110-121)
In 1209, Genghis Khan went to war with the Tanguts along the edges of the Gobi Desert; his reasoning for the war was sound.  The Tanguts were very wealthy, and the Mongols had great need of food if they were to make a long war successful.  Using the Dogfight tactic, they drew the Tanguts from their fortified cities and slaughtered them.  In 1210, the Tangut Capitol admitted defeat and supplied the Mongols with all the food they would need, though they gave Genghis none of the auxiliary troops he requested.  The path was set for an invasion of China. (Ratchnevsky 122-25)
In the year 1211, Genghis Khan called a Khuriltai and decided to leave 20,000 men behind with Belgutei to defend Mongolia while he left with Jebe to attack China.  The initial defensive positions around China put up no resistance, instead immediately allied themselves to Genghis Khan and placed approximately 40,000 men under his command.  Like an unstoppable wave the Mongols rolled over the Chinese defences and reached the Western Chinese Capitol, Xijing in under a year.  However, there they encountered a setback.  In the siege of Xijing, Genghis was wounded by a stray arrow and the forces were placed under the command of Genghis’s son, Tolui.  When Genghis rejoined the campaign in 1213, the Mongols had been pushed back all the way to the Juyong Pass.  The Chinese positions had been heavily fortified and the Mongols had been turned back repeatedly.  Then Genghis made a pact with a Muslim, Ja’far, who knew a path through the woods and a force of Mongols crept through the forest at night and slaughtered the Chinese garrison.  The Mongolians swept forward. (Ratchnevsky 126-128)
In 1212 a Chinese general defected with 100,000 men to Genghis Khan and inflicted a devastating defeat on the Chinese with the assistance of Jebe.  In late 1213, the Mongols reached Xijing again and conquered it.  By 1214 the Mongols had reached the main capitol of China: Zhongdu.  But Genghis Khan’s forces were exhausted and suffered from horrid famine and were even forced to eat their own dead.  Genghis Khan began peace negotiations.  In exchange for peace, the Chinese promised to give the Mongolians food enough for years on end.  The definitive conquest of China would come after Genghis Khan’s death.  It would happen both during the rule of Ogodei, Genghis Khan’s son, and during the reign of Khubilai, his grandson. (Ratchnevsky 128-129; 248)
Genghis Khan returned to Mongolia in 1217 and saw that his home was in danger.  The Merkits had staged an uprising and Belgutei had been unable to contain them.  Genghis, angered by the brutality the Merkits had shown to the Mongols they had defeated, ordered no mercy shown to captives.  The Merkits were massacred to the man.  Only one of Genghis Khan’s enemies remained: Kuchlug.  His father was the leader of the Naimans and his mother the princess of the Merkits.  Kuchlug gathered the approximately 10,000 Naimans remaining and attacked Genghis Khan.  Jebe attacked him with only five regiments and almost totally wiped out Kuchlug’s troops, the others were assimilated into Genghis’s army.  Only two more successful campaigns were to be lead in Genghis Khan’s lifetime. (Ratchnevsky 130)
The Sultan of Khwarazm was the most powerful military force in all of Asia, but Genghis was not ready for that challenge in 1217.  When the Mongols slaughtered Kuchlug and his men, he was brought into contact with Sultan Mohammed for the first time.  Genghis asked for peace, but the Sultan sent him a messenger saying that Allah had promised him victory, and the Sultan attacked.  Genghis Khan’s men fought with 20,000 men against twice that number and lasted all day in continuous battle, then retreated, with only about 15,000 men remaining.  The sultan lost nearly 30,000 men.  Soon after, Genghis sent a trading caravan to one of the Sultan’s provinces, and the Sultan ordered Genghis’s men killed.  Genghis was outraged by what he called barbarian actions, and declared war on the Sultan.  The Sultan’s vast nation was in a state of discord because of his oppressive and unjust rule and Genghis attempted to exploit that weakness. (Ratchnevsky 130-132)
Before the battle, he called a Khuriltai to announce new laws and to settle the matter of succession in the event of his death.  He decreed that his son Ogodei should be the heir to his throne and then decreed that before he departed this life, the Sultan of Khwarazm would die. (Ratchnevsky 132)
He swept west and rolled over the fortified cities of the Sultan as he had with China.  By 1220 he had reached the metropolis of Bokhara.  The garrison surrendered in a day.  Finally, the tensions in the Sultan’s army broke and territories began to revolt and join the Mongols.  Eventually, in the same year, Genghis reached the massive city of Samarkand, a massive fortress reinforced with well over a hundred thousand men.  It would have been the end of Genghis Khan’s advancements, but on the third day of the siege, 50,000 men surrendered themselves to Genghis Khan and the others surrendered five days later.  The Sultan fled and was pursued by both Subodei, one of Genghis’s most legendary and feared commanders, and Jebe and the two Generals conquered all in their path, until 1221 when the Sultan died of pneumonia.  Subodei and Jebe would go on to invade and conquered half of Russia and founded what, in the future, would be known as “The Golden Hoard.” Genghis then moved on to Afghanistan.  Here the first defeat of the entire campaign was found, not by Genghis, but by his adopted son.  Genghis then heard of a Tangut revolt and decided to return to Mongolia for one final work of war. (Ratchnevsky 133-140)
The Tanguts had gone to war with the Mongolian people and had made great gains across the steppes, but Genghis did not immediately seek war, he was old and did not want to end his life in blood-shed.  But his offers for peace were met with insults and the Tanguts attacked.  In a bloody battle, the leader of the Tanguts was killed and the Mongolian people wreaked terrible revenge upon the Tangut people.  This was the only campaign in Genghis Khan’s lifetime that he did not partake in.  His people drove far into the Tangut nation and stopped for only one reason: Genghis Khan, the World Conqueror, had died.  Ratchnevsky (140-144)
Genghis Khan died in August 1227 at the age of 62, after becoming the leader of Mongolia, and conquering China, and much of western Asia.  His sons and grandchildren would go on to conquer the remainder of China, Persia, half of Russia, and the edges of Europe.  The greatest empire ever on earth.  Genghis Khan was a man of great character, loving honesty and bravery, and abhorrent of cowardice and backstabbing.  He was open minded of all races and religions and despised the barbaric ways in which his people lived.  His enemies could only see the brutality and viciousness of his people, tales heightened, no doubt by anger and fear.  Many historical psychologists, men and women who judge the reasoning behind such conquests, have decided that there were three things that lead to his war-filled life: the murder of his brother, his captivity by the Tayichi’ut, and the nature of his people.  He did what he could to improve his nation, but Mongolians had existed for many hundreds of years, fighting over their mixed heritage and religion and scarce resources.  Mongolians originated from both Chinese and Turkish settlers and it is from both those sources that they gain their resourcefulness and military ability.  Genghis Khan went to war for honour, resources and overall for the betterment of his people, as kings and emperors have often declared.  He emphasized loyalty and generosity greatly, and he passed those values on to his successors, Ogodei, while often criticized for indulging too much in alcohol, was perhaps the most generous man of all time.  He completely emptied his own coffers and distributed that immense wealth amongst his followers, who then distributed it, on his command, amongst their respective men.  Genghis Khan made laws making the Mongolians from tribesman into some of the most civilized and disciplined soldiers on earth.  His nation will forever be known as the Mongolian Empire, the nation that conquered almost all of Asia in two very short, very bloody decades. (Ratchnevsky 144, 212-214, 234-248)

137555731
~Chris Rush
© Copyright 2007 Chris Rush (kryshen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1365266-Genghis-Khan-Bloody-Equality