*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1365948-Blue-the-Red-Dog
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1365948
Christmas Day on the Farm - a gift from Diddi.
Blue, the Red Dog was lazing by his kennel in the dust.(answer the question: Blue? He's Red! All Australians who are red haired are called Blue.)

Anyway, Blue was laying there, tiredly scratching behind his right ear. His leg paused in it's work, fleas forgotten. He was bone tired, the boss and he had worked hard all day, checking fences, counting little baby calves and making sure all their Mums were happy. It had certainly been a very long day.

When they had got back home, Blue went to his kennel and had a long, cool drink of fresh water, then twisted around, scratched the dirt a little and scrunched into a nice lazy lump. He put his nose on his paws.

"Why all the hard work? We don't often do that much." He thought. Presently, the Boss's wife came out with his supper. He lifted his head with interest and thumped his tail in the dirt. His dish looked very full tonight, he noticed with interest.

"Here you are, Blue, a little extra for you," she said kindly, giving his great head a gentle pat. He licked her hand softly "it's Christmas soon, mate, and I wanted to make sure you had a nice supper before all the kids arrive. You've earned your day off tomorrow."

Blue ate his nice tea, had another drink and settled down for the night. Just before he dozed off, he looked into the darkening sky and saw shooting stars. "My, there are a lot tonight," he mused " must be dusty up there." Blues eyelids drooped slowly and soon he was sleeping, dreaming of rabbits and wallabies and kangaroos hopping all around.

Thump! Thump! Bump! Snort!

"Wassa matter?" Blue grumbled sleepily "Go 'way!"

Thump! Thump! Bump! Snort!

"Blue! Wake up!"

Blue shot up, a bit wobbly but ready for a fight. He lifted his top lip, ready to growl.
His mouth dropped open as he stared into the biggest, brightest, twinkliest eyes he had ever seen.

"Blue I'm sorry to disturb you, but could you mind my reindeer for a while?" The twinkly man asked him. Blue just stood and stared at him. Blue's nice supper was doing 'jigglys' in his tum by now. Blue swallowed carefully and his tum settled.

"Mind your what?" Blue said "Reindeer? Why?"

"I made a mistake, and took a short cut so I could save some time on my run. It didn't work and my Reindeer are over heated and very tired. Could you mind them while I carry on my trip. I'll pick them up later."

"Er, yes, I suppose, but where are you going to put them?" Blue asked.

"Could I put them in your kennel? It's cool and dark in there and they can rest, just make sure they have plenty of water to drink. I won't be long."

"They won't fit in there!" Blue snorted "Look at the size of them! They're built like horses, they are!"

"Oh, they'll fit. They shrink." The plump, merry man laughed.

"Oh, okay then, if you think so." Blue said, a little doubtfully. "I don't think I've enough water for them, though."

"When they're shrunk, they won't drink that much, you've sufficient in your dish for them. Just move aside, and I'll shrink them."

The Merry man waved his hand over the Reindeer, the harnesses fell off and the Reindeer got smaller and smaller.

"In you go then, my friends," said the twinkly man "have good rest and I'll be back soon."

Blue watched as the six tiny Reindeer trotted into his kennel. He put his head down and peered inside, but quickly backed off as a tiny sharp hoof grazed his nose.

"Best leave them alone for a while, Blue. They're a grumpy at the moment."

The twinkly, merry man shoved Blue's water dish into the door of the kennel. Then he just stood looking into the sky.

"Aren't you off then," Blue grumbled "I thought you were in a hurry."

"I'm waiting for my other ride." The man said. Just then, six great white shapes bounded down from the sky and settled where the harness lay on the ground. The Merry man waved his hand and the harness settled around the Boomers.

"Well I'll be off then, thanks Blue." He jumped into the Sleigh, flicked the reins and the Boomers and sleigh rose into the sky. Blue looked up.

"Just like shooting stars," He thought. He put his head on his paws, his eyelids drooped and soon he was back dreaming about rabbits and wallabies and Kangaroos, but  they were white this time."

Blue woke as the dawn lit the early morning sky. He yawned and stretched.

"Nice dream that," He thought "I wonder if we're working today?" He turned around to get a drink of water and there was a great big juicy bone with a red ribbon tied around it. Blue jumped a little, then sniffed it, it was a beautiful bone. He heard a faint

"HO, HO, HO!" and a "MERRY CHRISTMAS!"
© Copyright 2007 ImagineTryingToLearnToBeSingle (shamae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1365948-Blue-the-Red-Dog