*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1366585-Empty-Words
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Contest · #1366585
Written for DFF 12/26/07 Challenge.
"Please have mercy!" Glenda shouted above the crowd that had gathered in the clearing. "I didn't wish anyone harm!"

Henry Goodwin stepped forward. Despite his diminutive stature, the Town Elder always seemed to walk tall. "Be that as it may, Glenda Farmer, a young man is now dead because of your actions. Your atonement means little to his grieving kin."

Glenda felt her constraints tighten as she struggled. Tears fell as she received one hateful glare after another from the townspeople she once considered her neighbors, her friends, and--somewhere among them--her family. Her mind raced with thoughts of Richard Holmes, the man upon whom she had pretended to cast a curse. She thought it harmless. As the town herbalist, Glenda had endured the rumors of witchcraft, doing little to shirk it. After all, she welcomed any attention, especially from the men. Richard's, in particular. When she'd learned of his engagement to Nancy Pope, she pleaded him to reconsider and professed her deep love. When Richard rejected her, she was furious and told him that any other woman whom he marries will die on their wedding night. They were empty words, of course, spoken out of anger. But Richard was so convinced of the power Glenda never possessed, he took his own life before the supposed curse had an opportunity to come true. In his farewell note, he stated he would rather die than cause the death of his one true love.

She choked at the sight of the torch and wasn't surprised to see Nancy holding it. "Burn, witch! Burn!" the crowd began to chant, as Nancy stooped to light the wood that surrounded the stake to which Glenda was bound.

Glenda closed her eyes and recalled Richard's handsome face, maintaining that image as the flames engulfed her.



First Place in 12/26/07 Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt:
Write a story about a small lie that gets out of hand
Word Count: 299
© Copyright 2007 Sam N. Yago (jonsquared at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1366585-Empty-Words