*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1367197-Connor-and-I
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1367197
Girl likes Connor but is not sure if he feels the same way towards her.
WORD COUNT: 1965

         We laid in the sand as the sun set. The California sky was a pinkish orange, growing more intense in color as I looked across the horizon. The few clouds that hung in the sky were a deep violet, creating a heavenly mixture to the righteously beautiful sky.

         I tilted my head and shifted my gaze over to Connor, who had agreed to come to the beach with me. We had so much fun, especially since the beach was practically deserted. We swam in the ocean, played beach soccer, and basked in the sun, allowing it to dry our salt water drenched skin. And now it was coming to an end with the setting sun.

         Connor was my best friend. We've been friends since kindergarten straight to the tenth grade. We'd done everything together. From building our first sandcastle to killing the "monster" that lived in my closet. The monster turned out to be a gigantic green sweater, but we still stabbed it with our plastic, dollar store swords.

         We had never shared anything more than friendship. The bond between us was strong, and most people would think that after all the time we'd spent together it would become something more. It never came up as an issue, but the more I pondered the idea, the more the thought appealed to me. It felt right for me, but I was too afraid to ask him how he felt about it

         Through my eyes, he was perfect in every way. He had jet black hair that hung below his ears and dropped just at his eyebrows. His eyes were a brilliant, arctic blue, so unique that he stood out anywhere he went. His smile could light up a room like a lighthouse during a storm. It was my favorite thing about him. I could never understand just how lips naturally formed into a lazy, happy-go-lucky smile that could dazzle anyone.

         Yes, his looks were nice, but his personality was what attracted me to him, even in kindergarten. He was the type of guy who would make anyone laugh, even if their hamster just died from choking on a peanut.

         Connor turned away from the sun and shifted his gaze to mine. His eyes seemed to penetrate mine, as if he were looking straight into my mind, reading my thoughts. He smiled, and I couldn't help but smile along with him.

         The sun cast a warm glow over him, giving his hair streaks of gold and light brown. He turned, propping himself on an elbow so that he was facing me.

         "So, what a day," he said, his velvety voice finally breaking the silence.

         "Yeah," I replied, "Lots of fun!" Connor smiled again and fell back down in the sand. I followed him and let my head fall next to his.

         I closed my eyes and drew in the ocean's salty air. I loved the sound of the waves swell crashing into shore, the heat of the sun, the feel of the warm sand between my toes. I slowly opened my eyes only to find Connor staring at me. Then he spoke once more.

         "Do you remember in first grade, when I took your granola bar at snack time, and you threatened to kiss me if I didn't give it back?"

         I giggled. "Yes! And you practically THREW it at me and ran away!" He smiled and looked down.

"I really wanted that granola bar you know!" he said, flashing me that dazzling smile of his.

         My heart rate immediately picked up. He couldn't be flirting with me... could he? That's impossible! Connor was... well, Connor! Wasn't it only me who wanted this? I was slowly turning red, but through all the turmoil that swam through my mind I managed to stammer a reply. "Well you could have kept it... I mean I wouldn't have kissed you!"

         His head shot up and eyes locked onto mine. He was sitting up now, and I just realized how much he towered over me. He positioned an arm on the opposite side of my waist, creating a barricade with his body. If I tried to sit up, I'd just bring myself closer to him.

         My breathing became shallow, my eyelids fluttered. His body blocked the sun, the rays of light peeking around him giving him an angelic glow. The sand warmed my back as our eye gazed ito each others. I could only wonder what he was thinking.

         "You wouldn't have kissed me?" His voice was amused, his face bearing a questionable look that was outrageously cute.

         I was stunned. He was driving me crazy, looking at me like that. The atmosphere was electric, the timing was perfect. The smell of the ocean stimulated me, and the feeling of his arm next to my waist was causing my skin to tingle and my heart to thump faster. I swear there was a rock and roll concert going on in my chest. I hoped he couldn't hear it; the thudding was loud enough in my ears.

         His eyes still stared deeply into mine, jumbling my thoughts even more then they already were. How could I even answer?! How long had it been since he asked?! I was panicking, trying desperately to find words that wouldn't come out of my mouth. Then he smiled and I knew he saw the turmoil swimming behind my eyes.

         The traffic jam in my brain slowly started to clean itself up. I knew, finally, what I was going to say. I finally smiled along with him, unable to resist the urge any longer.

         "No," I finally said with surprising steadiness, considering the state of unsteadiness that was coursing through my body. "I wouldn't have kissed you." I tried so hard to keep a straight face, but it was the hardest thing in the world considering the circumstances.

         His boyish grin slowly turned into a tight, thin line. His eyes lost a bit of sparkle, possibly allowing shocking reality of this answer to sink in. He expected a different answer!

         "Why not?" Now he was practically on top of me. Even though I was the person on bottom and my head was still jumbled like clothes in a dryer, I felt like I had power.

         Our eyes stayed connected, both of us too stubborn to look away. I smiled and leaned up to his ear as I whispered, "Because boys had cooties!"

         I playfully pushed him away and sprang onto my feet. I dashed down the shoreline. "Connor has cooties! Connor has cooties!" I looked back to see the split second moment of shock, disbelief and amazement, then the smile of the playful Connor as he shot up and bound after me.

         "I'm going to get you!" he yelled as I squealed and ran in circles to avoid him. "You're going to have BOY COOTIES!!!"

         I laughed and ran into the shallow water, where it rose just up above my ankles. Connor followed, still shouting and laughing. I laughed along and turned around to run backwards, teasing him to catch me. I was surprised to see how close he was, and before I knew it, he was there.

         "You're done for now," he growled, picking me up and catching me off gaurd as he held me in his arms. "Nowhere to run, and the beach is deserted. You are officially doomed to boy cootiesization!"

         He laughed as he jumped around in the water with me securely in his arms. I let out squeals and threats, warning him to put me down or else!

         "Or else what exactly?" he asked, a playful glint shimmering in his eyes. I looked up at him, narrowing my eyes giving him the best evil look that I could muster.

         "Or else I will eat every single granola bar you own!" I replied, closing my eyes and tilting my head up for dramatic effect. His eyes widened in shock as he lowered me to the ground. "Let's not get hasty now!" he said, making his voice shake. He was being just as dramatic as I was!

I took off as soon as my feet touched ground. "Those Quaker bars are looking mighty delicious right about now!"

         "Okay, now I'm serious!" he cried, taking off after me and laughing along the way.

         "Oh I'm sooo afraid!" I yelled back just as his body slammed into mine and we went tumbling into the soft sand. He was once more on top of me, the sun cast it's last rays of golden light onto my face

         His hand brushed my face, flicking away grains of sand. My breathing was shallow again. "Do you remember," he started softly, playing with a lock of my hair, "the second time I stole your granola bar?"

         My eyes narrowed. "What second time?" Connor smiled and stared deeply into my eyes.

         "Oh! Well I guess you'll have to punish me." There was a twinkle in his eye that I had never seen before. It was a look of passion. A look of need.

         Slowly, he lowered his head, his lips mere millimeters from mine. "You have no idea how long I've wanted this," he said, his voice barely a whisper. And with that, he softly pressed his lips to mine. Time stopped as I clung to that moment, my first kiss with Connor.

          His hand brushed my cheek and I wrapped my arm around his neck. His kiss became deeper but kept the sweetness and gentleness that had been there before. I was on Cloud Nine, and I imagined the kissed lasted forever, though I knew it could have only been a minute before he lifted his lips from mine. He stared lovingly into my eyes and nuzzled my neck. I murmured "You owe me a granola bar, Bub!"

         He just laughed, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me upwards into a sitting position. "Will you ever forgive me?" he asked, raising an eyebrow in a quizzical manner.

         "Oh I don't know," I replied, sighing dramatically for added effect. "What if I had died from granola bar deprivation?" I swept a wide eyed glance at Connor. "I could have died!"

         His eyes lit up and he smiled. "Well. I'd have put a box of granola bars on your coffin. Just to make you rest in peace."

         I rolled my eyes and giggled. "Yes, you would have given me the box, but ate the granola bars first!"

         His eyes twinkled. "You know me too well." The sun was finally dropping under the horizon line, changing the vibrant orange shades into musky violets and reds. A soft wind tousled my hair and I noticed his icy blue eyes scanning me over, taking in every detail. I felt his eyes looking over my honey brown hair, watching my deep hazel eyes as I observed the ocean's swell.

         I turned, penatrating his gaze, trying to read what his eyes were portraying. What I found left me breathless, causing my heart to soar. Undeniable true love.

         I snuggled closer to him and laid my head on his shoulder, closed my eyes to preserve the moment. We sat there for a while, neither of us willing to move. That's the funny thing about reality, it forces you to keep moving.

          My eyes fluttered open and I murmured softly, "It's getting late. We should be going home." Connor kissed the top of my head lightly, letting his lips rest softly in my hair.

         He lifted his head and smiled down at me. "Of course," he said smoothly, taking my hand and helping me up. I knew that was the day that changed the relationship between us. We had become even closer than before, since that day. The beach became our favorite spot. We would lounge and hang out, remembering the way that this place changed our lives.

         I believe we are now called the best couple, but in our hearts we know we are truly tagged best friends. Connor and I. Forever.
© Copyright 2007 ~*~Noelle Sapphire~*~ (messykessy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1367197-Connor-and-I